mttt

Default Hip to be square

I, like many others, agonized over the expense of $70 for a Starrett
combination square. I thought there had to be a cheaper way to get there.
After spending nearly $50 on various poor quality combination squares, I bit
the bullet and bought a Starrett from Amazon.

Someone else said: five mediocre saw blades cost as much as one good one and
never cut as well.

As soon as the Starrett arrived, I started checking the other "squares" and
found out:
a) my two Rockler "clamp it" assembly squares aren't even close to being
square
b) my 16" Stanley Contractor grade combination square isn't square (bow in
the middle)
c) my free Grizzly combination square is a smidge better than the Stanley,
but still not square
d) my Johnson combination square from the Borg is worse than the Stanley and
Grizz
e) my random assortment of 3 drafting squares are square

I was quite surprised to see the plastic drafting sqaures do so well. Of
course, I'm not a machinist, nor do I work for NIST. And I did NOT use a
feeler gauge to judge the results. But those drafting squares, from the 5"
to the 14", ones were the best I had.

Next on the to-do list, is to order some inexpensive Engineer's Squares from
HF and check those out too.

If you're agonizing over a Starrett (or similar quality brand square) and
can afford it, do so. You'll finally have one reference instrument. I'll
keep the Stanley in the drawer and use it to judge the accuracy/precision of
tools I'll use daily.

John Manders

It's very easy to check a square.
Get a straight edged sheet of plywood and drw a line square to the edge.
Turn the square round and it should match the drawn line. If it doesn't, the
square is out by 1/2 the difference between the square and the line.

John

George M. Kazaka

"John Manders" wrote in message
It's very easy to check a square.
Get a straight edged sheet of plywood and drw a line square to the edge.
Turn the square round and it should match the drawn line. If it doesn't,

the
square is out by 1/2 the difference between the square and the line.

John

You do not need a square to do this just cut a peice of wood and flip it
over onto itself
Same rule if the end do not line up you are out 1/2 that amount

to test a 45 degree mitre cut 4 peices the exact same length with the 45 on
each end lay them on a table
in a square if the last joint is open at all divide that distance by 8

The shortewr the sample peices are the more accurate you will be
I like peices about 6 to 8 long

Good luck,
George

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:02:14 GMT, "mttt" wrote:

If you're agonizing over a Starrett (or similar quality brand square) and
can afford it, do so. You'll finally have one reference instrument. I'll
keep the Stanley in the drawer and use it to judge the accuracy/precision of
tools I'll use daily.

USE THE STARRETT DAILY!!! G It dosen't like the darkness of the
drawer! It'll wilt and die!

Once you do, you'll appreciate that the quality goes way beyond
"square".

Barry

Jon Endres, PE

"mttt" wrote in message
et...
[...]

How do you know the Starrett is square?

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:54:26 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:
How do you know the Starrett is square?

It's a Zen thing. It just _is_. G

If it's not, Starrett will fix it!

Barry

Traves W. Coppock

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:54:26 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

How do you know the Starrett is square?

SHHHH Keeter might hear you! *G*

Traves

Phil Crow

What if you're a real butterfingers, like myself? I have thought
about spending some 'serious' money on a try square to use as a
reference. I can't imagine that it would take too many tumbles off
the workbench to reduce my $70 "reference" to a shiny, high quality
paperweight.

Snip
USE THE STARRETT DAILY!!! G It dosen't like the darkness of the
drawer! It'll wilt and die!

Once you do, you'll appreciate that the quality goes way beyond
"square".

Barry

CW

Good tools are for using, not dropping. Fifteen years in a machine shop, I
never once dropped a precision tool. Just have to pay attention to what you
are doing.
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
On 5 Oct 2003 06:20:37 -0700, (Phil Crow) wrote:

Good tools are for using, not looking at! G

Barry

mttt

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
t...
How do you know the Starrett is square?

I don't. I *trust* it to be square.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:55:14 GMT, "mttt"
pixelated:

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
et...
How do you know the Starrett is square?

I don't. I *trust* it to be square.

Scratch and flip. (As opposed to scratch 'n sniff, Davey.)

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---