Sammy

Default Experience w/ Grizzly products?

Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

Sweet Sawdust

I have several Griz products and have had a few missing nuts and bolts and a
few overages of nuts and bolts nothing to get excited about. Have had bad
switches, a bad motor and a bearing that went out, all of them taken care of
quickly and with great concern and care. Had one sander that went south
after 4 years and they sent replacement parts to try and get it going (no
way to fix it short of a new unit) took back old parts and sold me a new
unit. Over all their service is what has sold me on their equipment more
then anything.
"Sammy" wrote in message
. ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I

called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

Zeke

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:43:02 GMT, "Sammy" wrote:

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

My Griz cabinet saw had all hardware included. The shop fox mobile
base had caster hardware, but not assembly hardware, the shop fox dust
collector had everything but caster hardware. I would still buy them
again, but it sux having to stop and go looking for hardware.
Zeke
Mike Reed

I have a Griz 14" bandsaw. It had the wrong bolt pack. They had just
redesigned the base, and I got the bolts for the old style. It cost me
about $3 at the Borg to make it right.

The saw never seemed capable of getting to a high enough tension.
After I had the saw for two years, I ended up stripping the tension
knob by maxing out the tensioner. When I took everything apart to see
what it would take to repair it, I noticed a manufacturing defect.

One of the bolts that holds on the upper wheel housing went right
through one of the tracks that the tensioning mechanism slides
through. Sure enough, that bolt was binding the tensioning system, and
had caused the resistance that kept the saw from getting to proper
tension.

I took some digital photos and emailed them to Grizzly tech support.
Once they finally understood the problem, they shipped me replacement
parts free of charge, even though I was way out of warranty time.

Overall, I'd say you get what you pay for, but Grizzly quality seems
high enough and their service good enough, that you get a good
product. I think Grizzly is a good value, and I'll buy from them
again. Probably a jointer and a TS when the time comes if I don't find
good used units.

-Mike

"Sammy" wrote in message ...
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

Al Reid

I got a 14" bandsaw (G0555) a couple of month ago. All of the parts were there and I had no trouble assembling the unit. I
installed the riser block and had some difficulty properly tensioning the blades. I contacted Grizzly and the sent me a procedure
for correcting the problem. Overall, I am very happy with Grizzly

--
Al Reid

[ Has the Signal to Noise Ratio degraded or
is there a global oxygen deficit? ]
"Sammy" wrote in message . ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

-copyguy-

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:43:02 GMT, "Sammy" wrote:

Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

I own a few grizzly tools (2 of which have been passed down to me from
my dad when he upgraded to bigger and better at grizzly)

The 1023s that I bought came with all parts and went together great..

The mini lathe that I inherited needed a new control board (we had
burned it up by overloading the fuse and then "aluminum foiling it
....what can i say, we were in a hurry to finish the project. Customer
Service quick to get me the right part when I ordered it.

The G1017 12" planer that i got is excellent...I have had no problems
at all.

The only piece I've had an issue with is a shop fox adjustable base
for the tablesaw. When installing the bolts for the frame I had 3 of
them strip the frame threads with VERY little tension...I ended up
using holes a little further in, no big deal, but it bugged me at the
time.

Overall, I look first to grizzly, then at the competition, then always
back to grizzly for the purchase.
Mark Jerde

Sammy wrote:

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products?

No problems with my two year old G1022 table saw. I bought the cheapest
one, the one with the sheet metal wings. One of the wings was impossible to
align; it wasn't stamped properly. Grizzly let me upgrade to cast iron
wings for the difference in price between the stamped and cast. I paid to
ship the stamped wings back, and they paid to ship me the much heavier cast
wings. I'm satisfied.

-- Mark

Mike in Idaho

Al,

I'm saving up for the G0555 myself. I've been thinking that I would
add the riser block as well. Have you had a chance to do any wide
resawing with it yet? What's the performance in your opinion? Have
you resawn before?

Thanks,
Mike

"Al Reid" wrote in message
I got a 14" bandsaw (G0555) a couple of month ago. All of the parts were
there and I had no trouble assembling the unit. I
installed the riser block and had some difficulty properly tensioning
the blades. I contacted Grizzly and the sent me a procedure
for correcting the problem. Overall, I am very happy with Grizzly

--
Al Reid

John Hightower

"Sammy" wrote in message
. ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I

called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

I ordered the 1023S table saw last January or so. When I unpacked it I
noted a defect in the top- still can't tell if its a hairline crack in the
casting or if its a scratch. Grizzly sent an entirely new top to me. A bit
inconvienient as I had to learn how to properly install and square a
top -but the bottom line is that they had a problem- and they made it right.
It'd be great if they had a zero defect record- but I don't think any tool
manufacturer can claim that.

I'll buy more tools from Grizzly- I'm hoping for a 14 or 16" bandsaw next
:-)

jh

Jim K

I just got the G0555 last week. The only problem I can see so far is
that the Grizzly logo was put on upside down. The few cuts I've made
so far have been nice and smooth and surprisingly quiet.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:41:31 -0400, "Al Reid"
wrote:

I got a 14" bandsaw (G0555) a couple of month ago. All of the parts were there and I had no trouble assembling the unit. I
installed the riser block and had some difficulty properly tensioning the blades. I contacted Grizzly and the sent me a procedure
for correcting the problem. Overall, I am very happy with Grizzly

JEL

Our 6 inch Grizzly jointer works well, but the manual did have a few
misleading areas on the assembly. I was really impressed with how they do
business, we ordered and paid, drove around to the side and pulled into
the garage so they could load the box. It was fast and easy. Their show
room was big and had plenty of room around each tool.

joe
Al Reid

So far I have rough quarter sawn Walnut logs up to 11" thick X 24" long and have sliced 1/32" veneer from a piece 6" tall. I threw
together my own fence for resawing and it works fine. My best suggestion is to just throw away the Grizzly blade and buy a few good
ones ( Suffolk Machine or PS Wood Machines) that are commonly known as "TimberWolf" blades. I don't have anything else to compare
it to, but I am completely satisfied with the results.

--
Al Reid

"Al Reid" wrote in message
I got a 14" bandsaw (G0555) a couple of month ago. All of the parts were
there and I had no trouble assembling the unit. I
installed the riser block and had some difficulty properly tensioning
the blades. I contacted Grizzly and the sent me a procedure
for correcting the problem. Overall, I am very happy with Grizzly

--
Al Reid

Silvan

Jim K wrote:

I just got the G0555 last week. The only problem I can see so far is
that the Grizzly logo was put on upside down. The few cuts I've made

Some guy in Taiwan was laughing his ass off when he did that, doubtless.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Ivan

Some guy in Taiwan was laughing his ass off when he did that, doubtless.

Some guy in Taiwan laughs anytime we buy any major "American" WW tool.

Silvan

Ivan wrote:

Some guy in Taiwan was laughing his ass off when he did that, doubtless.

Some guy in Taiwan laughs anytime we buy any major "American" WW tool.

Sadly true.

I bought an American-made utility knife today. It was the first
American-made anything I've bought in a long time, and I'm depressed at how
surprised I was to see "Made in USA" on the thing.

I used to make a point of buying American, but these days even my
grandfather buys MIT stuff, because it's all there is.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Pops

My shop is about 60% Grizzly. I set it up about 3 years ago. I bought a TS,
6" jointer, Bandsaw, dust collector, and brad nailer and never had a
problem. Nothing was missing or broken. I have also called the customer
service line several times and also received excellent help.

Hope your average picks up.

Good luck.

Craig Orput
Cave Creek AZ
Sammy wrote in message
. ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I

called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the 70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

Sammy

The next item I opened, the shopfox mobile base, had obviously been opened
before. The Styrofoam casing was broken, the parts bags were opened and
bolts and washers were missing form it.

So, off to Home Depot for parts to replace them and those missing bolts from
the Jointer.

Anyway, that makes them 0 for 3 now, with the dust collector and lathe still
unopened.

They called today to tell me the base for the mortiser was on its way. Their
CS has been great. I just don't want to have to deal with CS. Like any kid
on Christmas day, I want to play with my toys NOW!

Note: I am not a hard-nosed guy. Was polite, etc., didn't demand replacement
of parts I'd already bought, though they offered. Not trying to rip anyone
off here. But you can imagine, when something as serious as a jointer is
missing parts you get concerned about where this machine has been, etc.
That's the real worry.

"Pops" wrote in message
t...
My shop is about 60% Grizzly. I set it up about 3 years ago. I bought a

TS,
6" jointer, Bandsaw, dust collector, and brad nailer and never had a
problem. Nothing was missing or broken. I have also called the customer
service line several times and also received excellent help.

Hope your average picks up.

Good luck.

Craig Orput
Cave Creek AZ
Sammy wrote in message
. ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I

called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just

send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't

know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products? I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the

70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

Montyhp

This is just so contrary to my experience that I feel I have to post.

I have a G1023SL Cabinet Saw w/mobile base, a G0500 Jointer w/mobile base,
and a dust collector. Never any problems with any piece of equipment. All
parts were there right out of the box. Everything was fairly well aligned
or easy to align right out of the box.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the Grizz.

Montyhp

"Sammy" wrote in message
et...
[...]

"Pops" wrote in message
t...
My shop is about 60% Grizzly. I set it up about 3 years ago. I bought a

TS,
6" jointer, Bandsaw, dust collector, and brad nailer and never had a
problem. Nothing was missing or broken. I have also called the customer
service line several times and also received excellent help.

Hope your average picks up.

Good luck.

Craig Orput
Cave Creek AZ
Sammy wrote in message
. ..
Started putting my new Grizzly products together today.

The mortiser had a split in the metal base around one of the legs. I

called
that one in already. They'll get back to me, etc. (?!) How about just

send
out the new base piece?

The jointer is missing the 3 bolts that attach it to the base. Don't

know
what else yet, as I've stopped for the evening.

Haven't opened the lathe and dust collector yet.

Has anybody else had this kind of experience with Grizzly products?

I've
come to expect everything to be in its place anymore - not like the

70's.
But they're 0 for 2 so far.

V.E. Dorn

I'm just setting up shop again after being out of it for a couple of years.
My first was primarily Griz and my experience was very positive too.
Everything was there when shipped and a couple of tech calls due to my own
ignorance went perfectly. I have to replace a cabinet saw, a jointer and
and bandsaw as soon as I get juice wired to the shop. They will all be
Green to add to my current Griz products. I'm sorry to hear about your
experience, but I'm staying with Green.

Don

Pops wrote in message
t...
My shop is about 60% Grizzly. I set it up about 3 years ago. I bought a

TS,
6" jointer, Bandsaw, dust collector, and brad nailer and never had a
problem. Nothing was missing or broken. I have also called the customer
service line several times and also received excellent help.

Hope your average picks up.

Good luck.

Craig Orput
Cave Creek AZ