Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Should you Sand and seal a Red cedar deck? crossed to Rec.Woodworking / home.repair

Just finishing installing a 1000 sqf red cedar deck at my house and I always
had it in the back of my head that I would give it a quick sand when I was
finished to remove the burrs and pencil marks, and then seal it with a Behr
waterproof finish.

Anyway I had a friend over that refinishes floors and asked him if he was
interested in giving it a quick sand, since he has the equipment and figured
it would only take 1-2 hrs, he said that the cedar shouldn't be sanded or
sealed. Thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

If you want it to continue to look new, you will have to seal
it periodically. Otherwise you can let it weather, it will last
a long time, and perhaps power wash it down once a year
or so (but be careful of the pressure you use).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

On Sep 12, 6:12 am, "HotRdd" wrote:
Just finishing installing a 1000 sqf red cedar deck at my house and I always
had it in the back of my head that I would give it a quick sand when I was
finished to remove the burrs and pencil marks, and then seal it with a Behr
waterproof finish.

Anyway I had a friend over that refinishes floors and asked him if he was
interested in giving it a quick sand, since he has the equipment and figured
it would only take 1-2 hrs, he said that the cedar shouldn't be sanded or
sealed. Thoughts?

Is it exposed to the weather?
If you want it to last, look good, not splinter, crack, and rot, then
yes.
I dont now about the Behr, but use a good penetrating oil stain. And
yes you will need to re-stain it every 2-4 years. You don't need to
sand it, unless there are spots you want to fix. All you need to do is
look at decks that haven't been stained, they look like crap after a
few years, I've had both.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , HotRdd
wrote:

Just finishing installing a 1000 sqf red cedar deck at my house and I always
had it in the back of my head that I would give it a quick sand when I was
finished to remove the burrs and pencil marks, and then seal it with a Behr
waterproof finish.

Anyway I had a friend over that refinishes floors and asked him if he was
interested in giving it a quick sand, since he has the equipment and figured
it would only take 1-2 hrs, he said that the cedar shouldn't be sanded or
sealed. Thoughts?

If you want it to go silver, then do nothing.

I built a 12 x 16 cedar deck this summer. Used Superdeck Brightener,
then sanded it, then used Superdeck single coat Transparent Stain to
seal it. Water is beading on the planks.

It looks fantastic.

http://improve-usenet.org/