Silvan

Default chess board needs some pieces...

I ripped off an idea for a simple chess board from a book. I changed all of
the dimensions, and ignored most of the instructions, so I don't count this
as building from a plan.

This is one of those out of control, simple-gone-complicated projects. At
first it was just a board to go under a super cheapie $2 chess set on a
camping trip. Now the board itself has had squares kerfed off and stained.
It looks a lot better than I expected, considering the lousy piece of
filthy scrap furniture I made it out of. Well-yellowed, unfinished
Jummywood for the light squares that looks almost like red oak.

So now that I have a surprisingly good looking chess board (by my low
standards, granted , I want to do more with it than planned. Instead of
just building a crude little free-standing box to hold the very crappy,
feather light chess pieces from that $2 set, I want to build this board
into a box of some sort (either as a hinged lid, or as the top of the
carcass for a miniature set of drawers), and populate it with nice pieces.
Nothing _too_ nice, mind you, because this is supposed to be a rough duty
travel set, but something a step above these extremely cheap ones.

I thought about trying my hand at turning a chess set on my drill press, but
while I've had some surprising results making steam domes and smoke stacks
for steam locomotives, I don't really feel up to the challenge of making
all those identical pieces with the crude setup I have.

So I thought I'd see if there are any sets of chess pieces for sale online
somewhere that I can afford. (Yes, JOAT, I saw your idea for the hardware
chess set. I'm thinking about that too.)

If I can find something affordable, that will tear it, but I've had no luck
so far. If I have to spend a lot of money, I'll probably try my hand at
turning on the drill press. More than anything else, I just hate the
thought of doing that much turning on my $300 machine that I can't afford
to replace, and which isn't really built for that sort of use. If I hadn't
sold my old 10" benchtop, this would be a fun project.

Maybe I should also think about one of those hobby lathes relative to the
cost of a chess set. I suppose in the end I _would_ like to say I made
them myself at the end of the day. Though that's a slippery slope too. I
make a really nice set of pieces, and then this stained, kerfed pine board
won't do, and I'll end up with a much more complicated project that will
take a long time to complete. I fully intend to make a nice chess board
some day, but I'm trying to get in one last project before it gets too cold
to use my shop, and the clock is ticking.

Ideas?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 18038 Approximate word count: 541140

Tom Watson

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:07:13 -0400, Silvan
wrote:

So I thought I'd see if there are any sets of chess pieces for sale online
somewhere that I can afford.

Staunton has a really nice (don't laugh) plastic set that is heavily
weighted and is a faithful copy of the wooden Collector's set.

The King stands four inches and the set weighs 64 ounces, not
including the extra queens, which come with the set.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/Plastic_Collector.html

I wouldn't use a wood set for travel.

A side benefit to this set is that it will provide an accurate
reference to make your own Staunton style set at some time in the
future.

If you are a USCF member, you can get a substantial discount on this
set by ordering through:

http://www.uschess.org/

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Silvan

Tom Watson wrote:

Staunton has a really nice (don't laugh) plastic set that is heavily
weighted and is a faithful copy of the wooden Collector's set.

I'm not laughing. Those look very nice.

The only problem is that due to the limitations imposed by the technique I
used to make the board, and the size of my small table saw, I have 1.875"
squares. I think all of the pieces they offer would just be too large.

Bummer, because you have a good point about having an accurate set for
reference. I *do* want to make my own some day. It's been on my list for
years.

I wouldn't use a wood set for travel.

There *is* that. I shouldn't lose sight of the fact that one reason I'm
thinking the way I am is because the $2 chess set came back from the
camping trip with both of the crosses broken off the kings...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 18042 Approximate word count: 541260

C Wood

:
: The only problem is that due to the limitations imposed by the technique I
: used to make the board, and the size of my small table saw, I have 1.875"
: squares. I think all of the pieces they offer would just be too large.
:

from that site, the last number is the square size of board it requires.

Marshall Style
Red/Ivory (4 queens) 3.75" 1.75" 52 oz. 2.0 - 2.375"
Black/Natural (4 queens) 3.75" 1.75" 52 oz. 2.0 - 2.375"
Black/Natural (4 queens) 2.875" 1.375" 25 oz. 1.75 - 2.0"
Black/Ivory (4 queens) 2.875" 1.375" 25 oz. 1.75 - 2.0"
Red/Ivory (4 queens) 2.875" 1.375" 25 oz. 1.75 - 2.0"
Red/Natural (4 queens) 2.875" 1.375" 25 oz. 1.75 - 2.0"

: Bummer, because you have a good point about having an accurate set for
: reference. I *do* want to make my own some day. It's been on my list for
: years.
:
: I wouldn't use a wood set for travel.
:
: There *is* that. I shouldn't lose sight of the fact that one reason I'm
: thinking the way I am is because the $2 chess set came back from the
: camping trip with both of the crosses broken off the kings...
:
: --
: Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
: Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
: Confirmed post number: 18042 Approximate word count: 541260
: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
:

Silvan

Tom Watson wrote:

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/Plastic_Collector.html

I came back on that too fast, Tom. Now that I've dug around a bit, I see
several that will be more than good enough for my purposes, and should fit
my squares nicely.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 18046 Approximate word count: 541380

Jim Wilson

I say go for it and turn your own! Your a woodworker, right? You can do
it!

One of my first turning projects was a chess set. It's not perfect, but
it's still in very frequent use nearly a decade later.

www.paragoncode.com/woodworking/chess_set

Good luck!

Jim
David Hall

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message ...
Instead of turning them, how about a 3D (compound) set cut on a scroll
saw? Diana Thompson has a few good ideas in her book on that sublect.

SNIP
So now that I have a surprisingly good looking chess board (by my low
standards, granted , I want to do more with it than planned. Instead of
just building a crude little free-standing box to hold the very crappy,
feather light chess pieces from that $2 set, I want to build this board
into a box of some sort (either as a hinged lid, or as the top of the
carcass for a miniature set of drawers), and populate it with nice pieces.
Nothing _too_ nice, mind you, because this is supposed to be a rough duty
travel set, but something a step above these extremely cheap ones.

SNIP

There is a description and scaled outlines for a compound cut set
using a bandsaw (or I suppose a scrollsaw) at the following site:

http://www.shopsmith.com/sshowgrp-90...03f6897a18450a

You can size them to fit whatever board size you have.
Dave Hall
Bay Area Dave

I don't know if you are near Mexico, but my ex bought me the coolest set
years ago down there, made from white and blue onyx. It's been a long
time, but I'd think that their prices would still be mucho cheaper than
anything up here. I put together a chessboard from porcelain 2" tiles
and then framed it like a picture frame with wide picture-frame boards.
It turned out so nice we left it displayed on our coffee table.

dave

Silvan wrote:

[...]

Silvan

Jim Wilson wrote:

I say go for it and turn your own! Your a woodworker, right? You can do
it!

Can and will, but the clock is still ticking... I like Tom's idea about
buying a good reference set anyway. My best set currently is one of those
glass sets from Big Lots. I actually love it, but some of the pieces look
a little weird.

So the current plan is to buy a set of ready-made plastic ones for the
travel board thingie I'm making. The board I've made will be incorporated
into a hinged lid on a piece storage box made out of more of the same scrap
table. I think it will make a really nice travel set, and all my son's
friends will be impressed, unless their parents are *real* woodworkers.

Then come spring I want to go scrounge up some walnut and maple or something
and set about making a proper board with storage drawers and whatnot, and
really doing it up nice, to be my best project ever. I'm seeing this as
very ornate, and very dark, to normally reside in the middle of my light
"indonesian maple" dining room table. I might even think about using
shellac on it instead of poly.

(I'm going to use poly on the travel set for sure, since it has a better
than average chance of going swimming the next time the tent leaks.)

I think for *that* I will set about turning the set. I *do* think I can do
it, but I expect it to take a very long time to get it right, and I don't
have that much time this year. I have a low tolerance for freezing my
num-nums off.

One of my first turning projects was a chess set. It's not perfect, but
it's still in very frequent use nearly a decade later.

www.paragoncode.com/woodworking/chess_set

Those look *quite* nice! Puts me in a mood to chuck a dowel into my drill
press and have at it, in spite of everything I just said.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Theo wrote:

Gods above. For some strange reason, even the Woodworking Gods are
taking pity on you. Probably because they're cheapskates too. They

I'm not a cheapskate. If I had gobs of cash crowding my pockets, I'd have
no problem parting with it wantonly. Only problem is, there's nothing in
there but a couple of pennies and some lint.

told me to do this, wasn't my idea. You needed to look, as this has
been posted several times, and I think one or two similar, even. Use a
chunk of 2X2, 2X4, or just glue together some thinner pieces. In fact,
I think they'd look way cool, scaled up to at least 6", but even better,
to a foot or two, plenty easy to do. No prob.
http://www.shopsmith.com/sshowgrp-90080

Hmmm... That _is_ a pretty cool idea. Plus it would be cheaper than the
$30 + S&H that I don't quite have at the moment, even after already
skipping two meals.

sound of gears turning

all, that's apparently what Larry did. Either that, or that's where he
got his last name. http://www.houseofstaunton.com/jaques1.html

I think he probably got the name Jacques from Jacques Cousteau. Or maybe
that song about Frère Jacques... Or I guess possibly from his mother
and/or father.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

T.

Wed, Oct 1, 2003, 1:22am (Silvan)
claims:
I'm not a cheapskate. snip

OK, the Woodworking Gods say just call you frugal then.

Then they said frugal is Latin for cheap. LOL

Hmmm... That _is_ a pretty cool idea. snip

Sometimes called Dutch turning. Not exactly sure why, but pretty
neat.

And, if you want to do it the hard way,
http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/arch...oney_maker.htm

I'm still thinking he ripped his name off that chess set.

JOAT
If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again.
- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 1 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Silvan

T. wrote:

Hmmm... That _is_ a pretty cool idea. snip

Sometimes called Dutch turning. Not exactly sure why, but pretty
neat.

'Course I re-read the page and it finally sunk in that that is a bandsaw
trick.

Ain't got no wood-cutting bandsaw, Chief. 'S OK though. I ordered these
today (the boy fell in love with the red ones... what can I say?):

http://houseofstaunton.com/HOS/PlasticCollRI28.html

That'll keep me tided over until I can make some for myself.

BTW, JOAT, or anybody, if/when I do turn my set, is there some health reason
(like lead vapor or something) why I shouldn't melt the lead and pour it
into the bases? Loose shot would rattle, and feel cheesy. When I do
Pinewood derby cars, I just melt the lead in a little ladle thing I cobbled
together for that purpose and pour it in. It stays put, doesn't wiggle,
and makes me feel like a real man for pouring liquid metal into a piece of
wood and trying not to burn my feet. (Don't try this in sandals.
DAMHIKT...)

I'm still thinking he ripped his name off that chess set.

Nah, it was Jacques Cousteau for sure.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

T. wrote:

snip finally sunk in that that is a bandsaw trick.

Ain't no trick. Pretty slick, but no trick.

Well, you can't expect a bandsaw to roll over and play dead and stuff. I'd
say that constitutes a trick, since the other stuff is out.

Ain't got no wood-cutting bandsaw, Chief. snip

Well, at least you're getting the chain of comman right. Got a
scrollsaw? That's what I'm gonna use, when I get around to making mine.

No scrollsaw either. One of these days.

'S OK though. I ordered these today (the boy fell in love with the red
ones... what can I say?): snip

Paint. Paint. You can paint them. Any color want. Sheesh.

snip is there some health reason (like lead vapor or something) why I
shouldn't melt the lead and pour it into the bases?

Hmmm. You mean like lead poisoning or anything? Yeah. Lead
poisoning.

Is that really true? Does it vaporize or something?

Loose shot would rattle, and feel cheesy. snip

I have one word for you. Epoxy glue.

That could work... Melting it and pouring it in is more fun though.

Nah, it was Jacques Cousteau for sure.

Was that Inspector Cousteau?

Nup, Jacques Cousteau was the dude who used to go surfing or something, I
think.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Spitzer

"Silvan" wrote in message
T. wrote:

[...]

yes. when you heat it enough to become molten, it gives off lead vapors that
will condense out. this both contaminates things around you (don't try this
over your kitchen stove or around food), but you get to breath it in too.

Unwarping wood Phil Addison UK diy 0 May 10th 04 07:12 PM
how do I attach gravel board to metpost? R UK diy 2 December 6th 03 05:21 PM
How to re-lacquer a vintage carrom game board Armchair Bronco Woodworking 1 August 20th 03 02:17 PM