Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default mineral spirits

OK so I usually buy gallons labeled "mineral spirits"
How does odorless compare to it and I also have seen "paint thinner" (label
says made with mineral spirits} figure in?
Same thing ???
I use it to thin poly and pure tung oil.
Odorless would be a blessing if it works the same.
Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
OK so I usually buy gallons labeled "mineral spirits"
Odorless would be a blessing if it works the same.

Given that it'll be just as toxic you should be wearing an organic
vapour respirator anyways...at which point you can't smell either of them.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

I was more interested in the compatibility with poly and tung of each. I do
wear a respirator just would like it to smell up the shop a bit less while
drying.
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Lee wrote:
OK so I usually buy gallons labeled "mineral spirits"
Odorless would be a blessing if it works the same.

Given that it'll be just as toxic you should be wearing an organic vapour
respirator anyways...at which point you can't smell either of them.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

would like it to smell up the shop a bit less while
drying.

For that, odorless sounds perfect. I use odorless, and it mixes fine
with tung oil, danish oil, varnish, urethane, and every other oil-
based finish I've used for mixing.
I'm not sure about the differences between min. spirits, paint
thinner, turpentine, etc. I suspect most are different names for
similar products, but I'd be interested in hearing an informed answer.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
would like it to smell up the shop a bit less while
drying.

For that, odorless sounds perfect. I use odorless, and it mixes fine
with tung oil, danish oil, varnish, urethane, and every other oil-
based finish I've used for mixing.
I'm not sure about the differences between min. spirits, paint
thinner, turpentine, etc. I suspect most are different names for
similar products, but I'd be interested in hearing an informed answer.
Andy

Mineral spirits is an oil derivative. Odorless have been refined a bit more
and for any of my uses, works just as well.

Turpentine is distilled from pine tree resin. there is a Canadian Balsam
version also. It is often used in cleaning solutions as it has antiseptic
properties. IIRC, it is used to get rid of head lice too.

Paint Thinner seems to be a catch all term, probably so they can mix
together any solvents that happen to be available.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Mineral spirits is an oil derivative. Odorless have been refined a bit
more and for any of my uses, works just as well.

Turpentine is distilled from pine tree resin. there is a Canadian Balsam
version also. It is often used in cleaning solutions as it has antiseptic
properties. IIRC, it is used to get rid of head lice too.

Paint Thinner seems to be a catch all term, probably so they can mix
together any solvents that happen to be available.

Thank you Ed. You answered my question. Odorless it is.

Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:55:01 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Mineral spirits is an oil derivative. Odorless have been refined a bit more
and for any of my uses, works just as well.

Turpentine is distilled from pine tree resin. there is a Canadian Balsam
version also. It is often used in cleaning solutions as it has antiseptic
properties. IIRC, it is used to get rid of head lice too.

I've seen comments that turpentine actually is better for some conditions
but I don't remember the specifics. I know I'd rather use a natural
product from a remewable than a petroleum derivative. But it is harder to
find and more expensive.

Paint Thinner seems to be a catch all term, probably so they can mix
together any solvents that happen to be available.

You got that right!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:58:36 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I've seen comments that turpentine actually is better for some conditions
but I don't remember the specifics.

Paint thinner won't work in Robert's Grain Popping sealer:

1/3 BLO
1/3 2 lb. dewaxed shellac (canned = Seal Coat)
1/3 "real" turpentine

Keep it shaken, rag it on, wait a few, wipe it off. Check it one more
time in 15-20 minutes and coat with any clear finish the next day.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **