Bob Davis

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

Nova

Bob Davis wrote:

snip

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

The Starrett will be square. The Johnson might be square.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Tom Watson

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 05:29:07 GMT, "Bob Davis"
wrote:

The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

The Starrett is a Square.

The Johnson is more of a Random Angle Generator.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Jim K

You're paying (mostly) for accuracy, a little for name. Depending on
your woodworking, a Starrett could be overkill. It's designed for
metalworking which tends to have much closer tolerances than
woodworking needs. If all you do is frame houses, it's probably not
needed. If you do tight intricate furniture and custom work, it could
be. It would also serve as a nice standard to measure all of your
other squares against.

wrote:

The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

Bill Rittner

The Starrett is a tool that will last for several lifetimes if cared for. I
have one that is at least 50 years old and I use it daily. Having owned some
cheap "squares" I can tell you to check them carefully and often. They
usually are not square.

To check a square hold it to the edge of a straight board and scribe a line,
then flip the square over and, using the same edge, check the line you
scribed. The tool is out of square by 1/2 the amount of error you see.

--
Bill Rittner
R & B ENTERPRISES

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody
gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
news
The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the

cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just

famous brand name.

Bob

bynot

As a machinist, I've used my Starrett squares in the trade for more than 20
years and they are still holding up well. I also use them in my woodshop. Of
course I live in Athol, Ma., the home of Starrett, so I wouldn't use anything
else, plus, I get my tools at a very reduced rate

Bob Davis wrote:

The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

Michael Daly

On 28-Sep-2003, bynot wrote:

Of
course I live in Athol, Ma., the home of Starrett, so I wouldn't use anything
else, plus, I get my tools at a very reduced rate

Dumpster diving for tools! It might be 89.87 degrees, but it's _exactly_
89.87 degrees!

:-)

Mike

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Michael Daly" wrote:

Of
course I live in Athol, Ma., the home of Starrett, so I wouldn't use anything
else, plus, I get my tools at a very reduced rate

Dumpster diving for tools! It might be 89.87 degrees, but it's _exactly_
89.87 degrees!

Just for fun, I calculated the error on a square that was 89.87.

On 3', the error is 5/64" and at 8' is 7/32"
Steve Knight

you can find them on ebay for a pretty good prices. I have gotten most of my
squares from ebay.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Henry E Schaffer

In article . net,
Bob Davis wrote:
What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

You'll get a very well made, extremely accurate and long lasting tool.
You'll get quality you can use, and for a long time. I've been
extremely happy with all of the Starrett tools I've bought.
--
--henry schaffer

Bob Davis wrote:
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!!

You can get the basic 12" model from Tools For Working Wood
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com for $49

jw

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:57:16 GMT, Steve Knight
pixelated:

you can find them on ebay for a pretty good prices. I have gotten most of my
squares from ebay.

Are we talking tools or plane buyers here, Steve? bseg

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown

K.-Benoit Evans

In article . net,
"Bob Davis" wrote:

...So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!...

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the
low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between
the two extremes?

--
Regards,

Benoit Evans
Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"K.-Benoit Evans" wrote:

In article . net,
"Bob Davis" wrote:

...So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!...

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the
low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between
the two extremes?

Look, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it isn't square. Pick a few
off the rack and take them down to the lumber aisle and check them on a
sheet of 4x8 MDF, which will be absolutely square. You really need to be
careful and eyeball them correctly, looking for ANY air gap at all. If it
is square when you buy it, it should remain square.

Steve Knight

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:35:46 GMT, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:57:16 GMT, Steve Knight
pixelated:

you can find them on ebay for a pretty good prices. I have gotten most of my
squares from ebay.

Are we talking tools or plane buyers here, Steve? bseg

squares (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

AL

The Starrett squares have some subtle differences which make them a pleasure
to use. For example, the edge of the rule is square to the face (of the
rule), so drawing a repeatable line with a knife or pencil is easy. The
Johnson square (at least the one that I own) has a rounded edge--the line
wanders depending on how I hold the knife or pencil.

Phil

I used to buy whatever square was available in my local hardware store
(before HD.) About 10 years ago I bought a Starrett 18" square at a
pawn shop for all of $20. I was using it today and it is much easier to
read and set than the other "non-Starrett" squares. A couple of years
ago I sprung for Starrett's "Builder's Combination Tool." A hefty 24
inch square with an adjustable head.

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/...sp?GroupID=395

I find myself using this a lot and am impressed with how repeatable
angle settings are.

I don't think you can go wrong with Starrett.

Phil

Bob Davis wrote:
The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

Silvan

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the
low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between
the two extremes?

Dunno. Personally, I *like* my Johnson square. If I hadn't been told so
many times by the precision nazis what a lowly pile of junk the thing is,
I'd actually think I had bought a nice, well-made tool. It's much better
than the rusty pile of junk it replaced, which might have been a Stanley.

Spend $70 if you can afford it. I can't see putting that much of my
extremely limited budget into something that boring.

Now of course I'm not a Real Woodworker, and I'm not being presumptuous
enough to claim that the precision nazis are wrong. I'm just saying that
you can enjoy making sawdust--and even turn out projects that really
impress people who don't know any better--without raising the bar that
high.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 18027 Approximate word count: 540810

Unisaw A100

Phil wrote:
A couple of years ago I sprung for Starrett's "Builder's Combination Tool." A hefty 24
inch square with an adjustable head.

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/...sp?GroupID=395

I find myself using this a lot and am impressed with how repeatable
angle settings are.

I try and not use my Builders Square too much. I'm too
afeared I'll use up all its magic.

I don't think you can go wrong with Starrett.

And in the end its somewhat of a quality of life issue. It
just makes the quality of my life that much nicer and
judging by the early onset of curmudgeoness I need all the
nice I can get.

By the way, Woodcraft sells a 4-piece import that has the
same heft as a Starrett I wouldn't hesitate to test drive
one and the full set costs the same as the 2-piece Starrett.
Also, almost any industrial supply house (MSC/Reid,etc.) all
offer off shore squares at a lesser cost than a Starrett.
They are worth consideration.

UA100
Donnie Vazquez

Bob Davis wrote:

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

I don't know about Johnson but fairly recently, (6 mo. - 1 yr.) one of
the magazines did a comparison of adjustable squares and the Stanley
received a good review. I have one and it's been fine. I have had some
crappy ones in the past but this Stanley is square, and a hell of a lot
cheaper than the Starret.

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD
DarylRos

As for a standard, I'll put a good quality engineers square against any
try square, including a Starrett. Although it probably is the best try
square around.

1. It's not probably the best square around. It IS the best sqaure around.

2. Your engineer's square (I have one as well) is probably accurate enough for
any woodworking, as it is with mine.

3. The Starrett is accurate based on the latest standards of measurment and
accuaracy. All other squares are tested by comparign to a Starret. Really.

I had a crappy try square years ago. I've had the Starret for over a decade,
and it is still perfect. It not only measures square, inside and out (as well
as 45), the rule is a Starrett, the easiest to read, and is also accurate.

The slide mechanism is perfect, even after years of use. Not misuse. You get
on, besides the cost, you don't want to misuse it. I have Norris planes, Knight
planes, Two Cherries Chisels, a MiniMax bandsaw, a Unisaw. The Starret is my
favorite tool.
CW

"DarylRos" wrote in message
1. It's not probably the best square around. It IS the best sqaure around.

They compare favorably with Moore and Wright, Brown and Sharp, Mititoyo,
ect, ect.

3. All other squares are tested by comparign to a Starret. Really.

Totally false. I don't know where this rumor ever got started but the only
place I've heard it is on this group. About time some set the record strait.

John McCoy

"Bill Rittner" wrote in

To check a square hold it to the edge of a straight board and scribe a
line, then flip the square over and, using the same edge, check the
line you scribed. The tool is out of square by 1/2 the amount of error
you see.

Of course, that's only as accurate as the straightness of the edge
of the "straight" board you're using. You may be measuring the
curve of the edge of the board (times 2, of course). Which then
begs the question "how do I test an edge for straightness" :-)

John
Bob Davis

I am very pleased with the opinions and thoughts offered in response to my
original query. I thought it was pretty balanced. One reader sent me a
link to a website that had a very good tutorial on the various heads offered
with Starrett tools. That was educational. I did not even know you could
get a protractor head.

So I've decided to

1) stalk ebay and see if I can find a starrett at some savings
2) if 1) fails, go buy a Stanley
3) Buy a forged steel starrett with all the heads when I make the purchase
of a good jointer and planer for my shop.

I'd prefer to start with number 3, but its kind of expensive. Until I get
milling tools, I think the accuracy of a starrett will be academic for me.

Bob

"Donnie Vazquez" wrote in message
Bob Davis wrote:

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand

vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for

just a
famous brand name.

Bob

I don't know about Johnson but fairly recently, (6 mo. - 1 yr.) one of
the magazines did a comparison of adjustable squares and the Stanley
received a good review. I have one and it's been fine. I have had some
crappy ones in the past but this Stanley is square, and a hell of a lot
cheaper than the Starret.

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:35:17 GMT, "Bob Davis"
wrote:

2) if 1) fails, go buy a Stanley

In the meantime, the Fine Woodworking web site has an article on
tuning combi squares. This could come in handy with any square.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00127.asp

However, it won't put the beautiful markings and precision feel of a
Starrett, B&S, or other high-end model into the cheaper tool. G

Have fun,
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:44:26 -0400, Donnie Vazquez
wrote:

I have had some
crappy ones in the past but this Stanley is square, and a hell of a lot
cheaper than the Starret.

I actually have a *gasp* Craftsman combo square that's accurate, but I
still prefer my Starretts.

It goes beyond square, the Starrett rule is much easier to read, the
mechanism works better, the blade edges are truly parallel, and the
ends of the blade are truly square with the edges.

I use the Craftsman outdoors, on construction type stuff, and it's the
one I loan out. G

Barry
Nova

John McCoy wrote:

Of course, that's only as accurate as the straightness of the edge
of the "straight" board you're using. You may be measuring the
curve of the edge of the board (times 2, of course). Which then
begs the question "how do I test an edge for straightness" :-)

John

With a Starrett straight edge.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bannerstone

Truthfully Bob, you can do fine woodwork with either. I used a cheap stanley as
child for my tool pouch, its been dropped plenty, its still around somewhere and
plenty useable for carpentry work. Now of course I've used Starrett and Millers
Falls machinist quality Comb. squares here in the shop and its really hard to go
back once you've used really nicely made tools. It took me a good long while
combing the flea markets and the bay for a good deal and I'm glad I waited
because I fould some very good deals and acquired quite a lot of Starret tools
that are useful for woodworking. And your odds of getting a quality used tool
are really pretty good when you're buying high end stuff like Starrett.

My advice, keep an inexpensive square for outside the shop, not necessarily a
comb square, tri squares, machinist's squares and aluminum framing squares are
very handy too and affordable. Then keep your eye out for a machinist quality
square at a good price.

David

P.S. As you grow older and your eyesight changes you'll appreciate the
readability of the Starrett scales.

In article . net, Bob Davis
says...

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob

Bob Davis

Now that's disgusting. :-) I need to have my wife do my shopping. She
found a painting appraised at $8000. The little store didn't know what they
had and asked $300 for the painting with the frame. She offered $200 for the
painting without the frame and bought it. Now we have to carry insurance on
the thing.

Speaking of insurance, I better go check my home owners policy and see what
it says about a shop full of expensive tools -- getting there one saw blade
at a time.

"Paul Prunkel" wrote in message
Get one that you're happy with for the time being. Check (here we go

again,
sorry)yard sales and flea markets, I got a 4 piece starrett for $30.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Nova wrote:

John McCoy wrote:

Of course, that's only as accurate as the straightness of the edge
of the "straight" board you're using. You may be measuring the
curve of the edge of the board (times 2, of course). Which then
begs the question "how do I test an edge for straightness" :-)

John

With a Starrett straight edge.

For the real hardco
http://www.tdl.com/~swensen/machines...ight_edge.html
Steve Knight

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:39:36 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
For the real hardco
http://www.tdl.com/~swensen/machines...ight_edge.html

I did that once to make my first 36" straight edge. I used 1/4" thick 36" bars
of O-1. what a pain in the rear.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
David Hall

This thread made me go look at my combo square set to see what it is. These are
fairly old tools that were my dad's that I got after he died. It appears that
the protractor head and the center finder head is a Starrett as it says " L.S.
Starrett Co. Athol Mass U.S.A. No. 12". The rule in it has no name. The Center
Finder head has no markings, but appears to be a Starrett only because it looks
the same as the Protractor head and has the same tightening knob. It has a
nicely marked Union Tool Company rule that has been broken off at about 9". The
square head has no markings, but looks like the Starrett protractor head but
has a different shaped adjuster knob. It has no scratch awl and never did ,
there being no place for it. This one has a "Universal No. 65" 12" rule from
the Lufkin Rule Company. All I know is that the square seems square (by the
board test), the center finder seems to find the center, and the protractor
head seems dead on at any angle that I can test with something decent (i.e. 45
and 30 degrees. That old Starrett protrator head moves very smoothly and is
clearly well made. I will say that the Union Tool rule seems to fit best in
all of them sliding more smoothly than the others, too bad it was broken at
some point. I probably should get a Starrett rule for them some day.

Dave Hall

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:
Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson,

I find my stanley 46-123 yellow combination square to be quit good for
woodworking. numbers are easy to read and there are little nubs that the
rule sits on that you can file down if need be to tune the square. paid
$12 for it..

jw