Posted to rec.woodworking

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 9:41 pm, "dwolf" wrote:
Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

I built 2 sets of twin-sized bunks (oak for the boys, painted poplar
for the girls) using rails and 3/4" A/C plywood, no slats. The upper
bunks are actually 1" A/Luan plywood, so the kid on the bottom didn't
have to stare up at a C-grade surface for his entire childhood.

BTW - The boys split their bunks into two singles when the oldest
moved out a few months ago and took his half with him. That was the
plan 18 years ago when I built 'em and it finally came to fruition.

My wife and I sleep in a queen sized platform bed - again using 3/4" A/
C, no rails, no slats. It was built like a waterbed I once saw. Under
the plywood are 2 large X's of 3/4 x 12 pine boards. The base is a
rectangle made of 2 x 12's. The platform overhangs the base ~5" on all
sides.

Without getting too graphic here, I will say that the platform bed has
held up well for over 25 years and is partially responsible for the
need for the 2 bunk beds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have
always opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats...
guess the original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of
wood.. and my junk bed at home, which is old but has maple slats
that
do sag.. so on my beds I use the rails around the bed and then
install 3 beefy rails across the bed and lay the plywood on top...
Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

You might find it interesting to go over to the Ikea site and look at
the slat sets that they sell.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:

What's your approach ??

What do you want, style wise?

Platform beds have a totally different look than a standard headboard /
footboard setup. Platform beds are also probably easier to construct a
truly solid product.

The slats used in a standard bed can be the ugliest, cheapest wood you
can find in a species of sufficient strength. Ask at the wood dealer to
see the "cull" bin.

Other than that, start by deciding on the look you'd like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:41:17 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

The slats would take less wood plus allow some air circulation. You
can flip the slats over (or use more slats) when they start to sag.
Some old beds use ropes instead of slats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

If you use slats, sure to attach them to the side rails - I've been
dumped out of bed in the middle of the night when an unattached slat
slipped from a side rail. The current bed frame is metal with a
support in the middle of it.

And remember that kids play under anything that is high enough to
wiggle under. There was a death in the area this week when a group
of kids was playing and jumping on a bed and it collapsed on the
six-year-old girl who was under it. I don't have details on the bed,
just the family.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just seen the latest posting.
Remember to consider how you would dismantle and move the bed if you moved house. Slats fold up to a
small space, plywood doesn't.
Agree about securing them though. It makes them less liable to snap too, if the ends are screwed into
a rail on the sides of the bed. Or, since the slats don't have to be great wood, you could fit enough
of them so there isn't a space between them, making them less liable to shift. Still easier to move
around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in ...

wrote:

[...]

around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.- Hide quoted text -

Given the choice of moving two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood or the
equivalent square footage of slats, all of which are individually
secured to the rails, which do you think would be easier to dismantle,
carry, load, unload, carry again, and reassemble?

As far as taking up space, two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood will fit just
about anywhere in a moving van, pickup truck, mini van, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

My thoughts exactly... I did what I always do.... Three beefy slats 2 x 3
ash
The wood cleats around the perimeter, and a descent maple ply...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah but you can unscrew the slats and roll them up together into a bundle, tie them with a rope or
sump'n. 25 * 6' x 3" should do it.
Of course, this assumes the rest of the bed dismantles....

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

wrote:

[...]

The way I have done the slats is with a 3/8" slut X 1 1/2" lg. x 1/4" deep
at each end.
On the side rails I have installed 1/4" dowels equally spaced to accommodate
each slats.
I will not go into too much details. I packed two single beds in the trunk
of our car (Intrepid) and drove 600 miles to my daughter's place. When I
got there it took me less than one hour to install the two shaker style
beds. Installing the slats was a quick and simple. I just dropped them over
the dowels. These bed have been in use for the last five years and all is
well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message

The way I have done the slats is with a 3/8" slut X 1 1/2" lg. x 1/4"

deep
at each end.

What did the 3/8" slut do with the slats? ;-)

Probably put them in lengthways instead of sideways. G

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

The purpose of the sluts and dowels were to equally position and prevent the
slats from horizontal movement. Once the mattress are on them, the slats
remain in the original location without any movement. It is like having
screws to lock them in place with the advantage that they are easy to remove
and transport. When you change the bed sheet and cover the slats remain in
place. Conversely, in mass production, you could do away with the dowels
and location sluts and save time and effort. However when the furniture's
remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave marks of good
craftsmanship.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

However when the furniture's
remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave marks of good
craftsmanship.

I put a 1" wide ledge inside the bed rails and dovetail 1/4 oak slats into
the ledge. Easy to move, easy to assemble or disassemble and they stay in
place while being used. The end of the slat is a single dovetail.
:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

I like the idea of single dovetail.
Its just that for me the tooling I have was better suited hidden sluts and
dowels.
Maybe after making the proper fixture to use with the standard router I can
using the single dovetail system.
Conversely, it may be about time that I get a dedicated shaper with ground
cast iron table or make a proper routing table.

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
However when the furniture's
remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave marks of good
craftsmanship.

I put a 1" wide ledge inside the bed rails and dovetail 1/4 oak slats into
the ledge. Easy to move, easy to assemble or disassemble and they stay in
place while being used. The end of the slat is a single dovetail.
:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The way I have done the slats is with a 3/8" slut X 1 1/2" lg. x 1/4"
deep at each end.

What did the 3/8" slut do with the slats? ;-)

Ahem...

slut - n. 1.a. A woman considered sexually promiscuous. b. A prostitute.
2. A slovenly woman; a slattern. 3. A female dog. [Middle English
slutte.] --slut“tish adj. --slut“tish·ly adv. --slut“tish·ness n.

slot - n. 1. A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a
vending machine; a mail slot. 2. A gap between a main and an auxiliary
airfoil to provide space for airflow and facilitate the smooth passage
of air over the wing. 3.a. An assigned place in a sequence or schedule:
a new time slot for a TV program. b. A position of employment in an
organization or a hierarchy. 4. Computer Science. A socket in a
microcomputer that will accept a plug-in circuit board: expansion slots.
--slot tr.v. slot·ted, slot·ting, slots. 1. To cut or make a slot or
slots in. 2. To put into or assign to a slot. [Middle English, hollow of
the breastbone, from Old French esclot.]

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the correction. I recognize you to be a fluent and prolific
writer. I'll be more careful and not rely on the spell checker anymore.

Please take note that the word slut should have read 3/8" wide X 1/4" deep 1
˝" long groove.

(groove noun. A long, narrow cut in a hard material.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I like the idea of single dovetail.
Its just that for me the tooling I have was better suited hidden sluts and
dowels.
Maybe after making the proper fixture to use with the standard router I
can using the single dovetail system.
Conversely, it may be about time that I get a dedicated shaper with ground
cast iron table or make a proper routing table.

I should have said 3/4" slats. :-)
Actually no fixtures are required. You cut the dovetails in the end of the
board with a hand saw. A cheap pull saw will do the job. I prefer the
English saws. but that's beside the point.

To lock the slats in place, make 1" wide blocks 2' - 3' long, what ever the
slat spacing dictates. Cut the ends of these spacing blocks to the same
angle as the dovetail and it becomes part of the joint. I usually use 1:6
rise on the angles.
If these don't fit up perfectly, it doesn't matter, but I predict after you
cut 3 or 4, you will be pleased. The spacer blocks should be the same
thickness as the slats. I screw the spacer blocks in place with # 10 counter
sunk wood screws, maybe 4 to a block.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

I like the idea. I have another bed to make for one of my grandson. I like
the design that allows me to dry fit all the parts and then take everything
apart for transport It is surprising how much I can put in the trunk of
my car with the rear seats down.

I should have said 3/4" slats. :-)
Actually no fixtures are required. You cut the dovetails in the end of the
board with a hand saw. A cheap pull saw will do the job. I prefer the
English saws. but that's beside the point.

To lock the slats in place, make 1" wide blocks 2' - 3' long, what ever
the slat spacing dictates. Cut the ends of these spacing blocks to the
same angle as the dovetail and it becomes part of the joint. I usually use
1:6 rise on the angles.
If these don't fit up perfectly, it doesn't matter, but I predict after
you cut 3 or 4, you will be pleased. The spacer blocks should be the same
thickness as the slats. I screw the spacer blocks in place with # 10
counter sunk wood screws, maybe 4 to a block.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:33:50 +0100, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I have built a couple of custom units - queen sized platform bed with
drawer banks underneath, and the X-braces turned so they are at 90
degrees instead of 45 degrees, for more usable space and maximum
drawer storage.

When I move, the thing that I hate is that the mattress is heavy and
floppy and doesn't have any good way to carry it. Plus it gets dirty
and can tear the cover fabric very easily if you don't wrap it in
plastic. I had the idea of a queen platform bed where the platform
becomes a box to hold the mattress during the move. You can take the
thing into the new room on edge, take the mattress out, set the
platform down, then plop the mattress on top of the platform. The
platform would have to be slightly oversized to accomplish this. Not
sure how that would look.

Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message news:Y6iCi.157$s06.19@trnddc04...
However when the furniture's
remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave marks of good craftsmanship.

I put a 1" wide ledge inside the bed rails and dovetail 1/4 oak slats into the ledge. Easy to move,
easy to assemble or disassemble and they stay in place while being used. The end of the slat is a
single dovetail.
:-)

Now THAT is the way to do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Thanks Nova, but I think we already knew the difference (not necessarily from personal experience ;-).
We were just enjoying the fun of transposing the words. We didn't mean anything by it, honest.