Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Q - How to cut a 1" Deep Rabbet

I'm building a bookshelf for my FIL. It's 36" wide with shelves ~10"
deep. The shelf supports also serve as the stretchers between the
uprights or vertical members. Think of an "H" with multiple cross-
bars (6 if it matters, for 6 shelves) on the front and rear sections.
These stretchers are 2" wide by X3/4" thick red oak and are M&T'd
into the verticals. It won't be "library" strength, but an 83 year old
doesn't read that many books, it's mostly to add something personal to
his room at the "assisted living" center. (That move broke SWMBO's
heart, and almost broke mine as well.)

The shelves will be 3/4" (OK, 23/32) Chinaply. The plan is to rabbet
the inside edge of the stretchers 1/4" wide and 1" deep so the edges
of the ply are hidden when it's dropped into the rabbet, they can't
slide off but need no fastening, and there's a 1/4" lip to keep books
from sliding off the front and back of the shelf.

Now, cutting the rabbet. Alternatives a

Use the jointer, but I think its max rabbet depth is 1/2" so that may
be a no-go. It'll take multiple passes in any case.

Use the router table and multiple passes along the fence with a 1/2"
or 3/4" straight bit buried in the router table fence (big bit for
strength vs using a 1/4" bit). 1" deep will take several passes.
What's a reasonable max cut depth? 1/8", 1/4", 3/8"?

Use the TS with a sacrificial facing on the fence and a 1/4" dado
stack against the sacrificial facing. I suspect I could cut the dado
in 2 passes on the TS, 1 at 3/4" and another at 1". The sacrificial
fence thought is 'cause I'm not comfortable trapping the board between
the regular fence and a 1/4" dado stack, but maybe I'm being a CS.

'Course I could just glue strips along the backs of the stretchers and
forget the rabbet idea entirely, but that ain't real artistic.

Thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Tom B" wrote in message
[...]

I was wondering how someone could make a 1 inch deep rabbet on a 3/4 inch
board. Finally, I see that you want a 1/4 inch deep rabbet that is 1 inch
wide.

I can think of a couple of ways:

1. You can do this with a stacked dado set in two passes.
2. You can do this on a router table with a 1 inch diameter bit (perhaps)
in one pass. It would be better to
use two passes (1/8 and then 1/4).

You can also cut such a dado in the table saw in two passes. This method
does require standing the piece on end which is far from safe.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom B wrote:

'Course I could just glue strips along the backs of the stretchers and
forget the rabbet idea entirely, but that ain't real artistic.

Thoughts?

What's unartistic about that? I think it's a great idea. Done with the
same wood, it would be nearly invisible, and anyone looking for a glue
line on the under side of the stretchers should be invited to leave.
If you'd prefer to have only a 1/2" wide "lip" at the front of the
drawers, thickness your wood down to 1/2" before adding the glued-on
1/4" thick strip.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim:

You're quite correct, the "deep" and "wide" depend on your
orientation. I was thinking in the vertical, being an ex-pilot. Laying
the board on its side makes it easier. A 1/4" deep rabbet in a 2" wide
board is not a big problem. Call it a brain overload (spelled f*rt).

Regards.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:53:24 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

I can think of a couple of ways:

1. You can do this with a stacked dado set in two passes.
2. You can do this on a router table with a 1 inch diameter bit (perhaps)
in one pass. It would be better to
use two passes (1/8 and then 1/4).

You can also cut such a dado in the table saw in two passes. This method
does require standing the piece on end which is far from safe.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Alexy:

I can't disagree. In fact, the strip method means I don't have to
notch the shelves to clear the 3/4" uprights. Plus, it doesn't reduce
the load bearing capabilities of the stretchers. I guess I was trying
to avoid appearing to be lazy. Unusual, because, like Heinlein, I
always "beware the lazy man, because he'll find a better way", or
words to that effect.

I may take your pointed remark to the garashop and cogitate. I'd
planned to plane down the stretchers on the front side by a 1/16 or so
(to hide any minor mis-fit with the uprights) and then either
round-over or chamfer the front edges anyway. so why not.

Regards.

Tom

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:02:20 -0400, alexy wrote:

Tom B wrote:

'Course I could just glue strips along the backs of the stretchers and
forget the rabbet idea entirely, but that ain't real artistic.

Thoughts?

What's unartistic about that? I think it's a great idea. Done with the
same wood, it would be nearly invisible, and anyone looking for a glue
line on the under side of the stretchers should be invited to leave.
If you'd prefer to have only a 1/2" wide "lip" at the front of the
drawers, thickness your wood down to 1/2" before adding the glued-on
1/4" thick strip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom B wrote:

I may take your pointed remark to the garashop and cogitate.

While you are there, cogitate about that lip sticking up in front of
the shelf. Bad idea IMO. Why?

1. Some books are wider than your shelf
2. Lip means books that fit can't be slid off.
3. Can't be slid off = PITA for 83 year old man.
4. Books aren't going to fall off without lip.
5. Lip makes shelf hard to clean

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I understand correctly, you are cutting a 1/2" X 1" rabbet along the edge
of your 2" pieces; I would use a regular blade and cut in 2 passes. Use
featherboards or guide blocks clamped to the table and to the fence ito
keep the stock aligned as you make the cut. It will help with
consistency of the width and depth of the rabbet, though with the
length being only 36" it should not be too difficult a job.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry gets the prize. Yep, I wouldn't have thought of doing it any
other way. Two passes on the TS and you're goo dto go.

Do the 1" deep pass cut forts so when you do the 1/4" cut you easily
leave the cut out stock on the table without having the stock rock on
the edge. Use a sacrificial push stick to push both pieces apst the
blade after the final cut.