How to attach a table top without screws showing...

Old August 20th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to attach a table top without screws showing...

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Michael White said something like:
Can you glue the three pieces together to form the top, then glue that
top
to the table underpinning? I've put together a 4' x 4' bookcase using
just
glue, and it'll hold together quite well.

I could, but have dismissed the glues because this is something
potentially outdoors...perhaps that was premature?

There are outdoor wood glues, and, if you want to pay a little more, you can
buy an epoxy (Gorilla Glue?). Either should be sufficient, especially
since the glue will not be exposed directly to the weather (sun or rain).

Besides, worst case you go with someone else's idea if it falls apart .
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Old August 20th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in

Puckdropper said something like:

...[rip]...

Personally, I think I'd attach 1x2s to the top and the top to the
1x2. This way, you've only got 1 1/2" of material to screw through,
and support along the entire top. (Some glue, and a couple brads,
and you've got an obligatory Norm reference. :-)) The 1x2's broad
side goes against the frame, and the narrow side against the top.

Puckdropper

I'd still be stuck with a problem though.....Wouldn't the top still be
wobbly/rickety with the only anchors so far inward?

Maybe, maybe not. The boards still sit on the frame, but they're
attached to the frame with the 1x2s.

Since you've got so much over hang from your boards, I'd consider running
a "trim" piece on the outside that's actually your anchors. If someone
sees it, it should still look nice. (Remember, though, it's your
project. I'm just making suggestions.)

Puckdropper

Old August 20th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
[...]

And I welcome them. The wobbly worries come from the idea of folks trying
to lift the thing up from the lip and not the apron. Most folks don't know
how to treat a table. The leverage against any inside-only anchors would be
severe. I'm wondering if my only solution might be Z clips after all except
that the top wouldn't sit *visually* tightly on the assembly.

I'm loath to actually put outside trim pieces on the thing because of all
the effort I went through to hide each and every other screw in the thing.

Perhaps a combination of outdoor epoxy and inside screws. But I've seen
what happens when wood dries, and the cross-grain shrinkage would shatter
any epoxy, no?

Old August 20th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 9:36 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sat, Aug 18, 2007, 9:43pm (EDT+4)
om
(Thomas G. Marshall) doth claimeth:
snip I haven't finished the table because I am not sure how to adhere
the table top in such a way that there are no screws showing. snip

Brain dead, eh? If you don't want screws to show, then use nails..

Or, I "suppose" you "could" screw it on from below. Or glue it on.
Or use dowls. Or something.

I'd make the top and then set it aside and watch which way it tends to
cup. Then I'd attach it with a couple of dowels in the center,
concave side down to the skirt.
JP