venturi vacuum

Old August 18th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Default venturi vacuum

Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and their air
compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to learn of anything
you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd like to avoid replicating any
mistakes! grin

Joe

Old August 18th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:52:26 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and their air
compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to learn of anything
you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd like to avoid replicating any
mistakes! grin

Joe

Would the first mistake be an assumption that a $50 vacuum would work
better, be less expensive to operate and take less time to get
working? Would you not need a huge air compressor drawing a lot of
electricity to make a working vacuum?
Old August 18th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:52:26 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and their
air
compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to learn of
anything
you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd like to avoid replicating
any
mistakes! grin

Joe

Would the first mistake be an assumption that a $50 vacuum would work
better, be less expensive to operate and take less time to get
working? Would you not need a huge air compressor drawing a lot of
electricity to make a working vacuum?

I *assumed* nothing. I asked for input. Regarding your first question, the
answer is I don't know. Is that the mistake you made? I found no $50
vacuum pumps in my search. Based on your implied knowledge of better, less
expensive and less time, you either have experience and have chosen not to
share it (thanks for nothing) or you have no experience to share and are
making assumptions that you accuse me of making. Either way, welcome to my
killfile. Oh, and regarding your 2nd question, thank you for repeating it
back to me without providing anything in the way of additional information.

plonk,

jc

Old August 18th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

OK, so I google vacuum bag. I see that they are using a vacuum pump
similar to ones used on medical equipment for air conditioning
service. The one article suggests that just 11 inches might be enough
for their project.

http://www.2linc.com/venturi_vacuum.htm#Vacuum%20Data

My dad did this when serviceing his car's ac.
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/vacuumpump.html

Since I am in your kill file my googe searching was just for my own
education.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:19:07 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

.. .

Old August 19th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...
Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and their
air compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to learn of
anything you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd like to avoid
replicating any mistakes! grin

Joe

I have not used this for a "bagging" system but I have used this to vacuum
cast jewelry. I used an old "solder sucker" device used in repairing circuit
boards for removing ICs by sucking the solder from around the IC legs. These
are quite small and can be operated with most compressors. Most are actuated
by a solenoid triggered by a foot switch, I rewired mine with just a manual
switch. You might be able to find one at a surplus electronics store.

--
"shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Old August 19th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
| Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and
| their air compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to
| learn of anything you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd
| like to avoid replicating any mistakes! grin

I took a different approach and use a recycled refrigerator compressor
as my vacuum pump. It has worked well for me for about five years,
cost nothing, will pull about 25"Hg, and it's _very_ quiet.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Old August 19th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in news:46c7992e$0$3567$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

Joe wrote:
| Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and
| their air compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like to
| learn of anything you learned in the process. Specifically, I'd
| like to avoid replicating any mistakes! grin

I took a different approach and use a recycled refrigerator compressor
as my vacuum pump. It has worked well for me for about five years,
cost nothing, will pull about 25"Hg, and it's _very_ quiet.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Did you have to lubricate the compressor in any way? they're normally
cooled and lubricated by the freon.
Old August 19th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I found no $50 vacuum pumps in my search.

You can try Bill Noble. He often has inexpensive used Gast vacuum pumps
that he offers for sale on "rec.crafts.woodturning".

His web site is:

http://www.wbnoble.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old August 19th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in
| news:46c7992e$0$3567$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:
|
|| Joe wrote:
||| Has anyone created their own vacuum bag setup using a venturi and
||| their air compressor? I'm looking to do the same and would like
||| to learn of anything you learned in the process. Specifically,
||| I'd like to avoid replicating any mistakes! grin
|| I took a different approach and use a recycled refrigerator
|| compressor as my vacuum pump. It has worked well for me for about
|| five years, cost nothing, will pull about 25"Hg, and it's _very_
|| quiet.
|
| Did you have to lubricate the compressor in any way? they're
| normally cooled and lubricated by the freon.

My understanding is that there's quite a bit of oil in the coolant
mix. There was oil in the compressor when I got it, and I haven't
added more.

I haven't worried about ruining the 30-YO compressor because friends
have brought in three more (recycled) compressors that I've held in
reserve.

Murphy's Law says that the current compressor won't fail until I've
managed to give away the replacements... :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Venturi Showers dcbwhaley UK diy 7 January 22nd 07 09:31 AM
Venturi Shower John UK diy 2 November 1st 06 11:25 PM
Built in Venturi Showers. Kevin UK diy 4 May 25th 06 12:11 AM
Venturi showers al UK diy 4 January 12th 06 04:42 PM
venturi vacuum generator plans Tom Metalworking 16 December 8th 05 02:48 AM