Drill press speeds - plywood

Old July 21st 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press speeds - plywood

Ok, setting up my drill press, I've got a nifty speed chart for
different
woods (Hard,soft) and other material (metal, plastic) and
different drill bits, but nothing mentioned for plywood.

DAGS and nothing immediate shows up. Are there
any "rules" that govern drill press speeds for different
plywoods and different drill bits?

Thanks,

MJ Wallace

Old July 21st 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 2:17 pm, "
wrote:
Ok, setting up my drill press, I've got a nifty speed chart for
different
woods (Hard,soft) and other material (metal, plastic) and
different drill bits, but nothing mentioned for plywood.

DAGS and nothing immediate shows up. Are there
any "rules" that govern drill press speeds for different
plywoods and different drill bits?

Thanks,

MJ Wallace

Set it on the slowest speed and leave it.

Old July 22nd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:17:54 -0000, "
wrote:

Ok, setting up my drill press, I've got a nifty speed chart for
different
woods (Hard,soft) and other material (metal, plastic) and
different drill bits, but nothing mentioned for plywood.

DAGS and nothing immediate shows up. Are there
any "rules" that govern drill press speeds for different
plywoods and different drill bits?

Thanks,

MJ Wallace

Keep this in mind: The harder the material, the slower the cutting
edge should be. Most of my drilling is done at 800 rpm, but for large
bits and wheel cutters use 300 rpm. Plexiglas is harder than wood,
softer than metal so the speed would be somewhere in-between. I
consider most ply as softwood (pine), but there are some hardwood
plywoods.
Old July 22nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Ok, setting up my drill press, I've got a nifty speed chart for
different
woods (Hard,soft) and other material (metal, plastic) and
different drill bits, but nothing mentioned for plywood.

DAGS and nothing immediate shows up. Are there
any "rules" that govern drill press speeds for different
plywoods and different drill bits?

What!? ... You mean you can _change_ the speed on a drill press??

I set mine on "hardwood" a few years back and promptly forgot about it. It
works just fine in anything I've thrown at it ... my bet is yours will too.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Old August 13th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Any chance that speed chart is available for others to view? I have numbers
for "wood" but not fir different types of wood, etc.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

oups.com...

Old August 13th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I suggest you check the following link of WOOD Magazine's website for
a number of free drilling information charts and information:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...y/data/203.xml

I hope this information was helpful.

Old August 13th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Ok, setting up my drill press, I've got a nifty speed chart for
different
woods (Hard,soft) and other material (metal, plastic) and
different drill bits, but nothing mentioned for plywood.

DAGS and nothing immediate shows up. Are there
any "rules" that govern drill press speeds for different
plywoods and different drill bits?

Thanks,

MJ Wallace

Keep this in mind: The harder the material, the slower the cutting
edge should be. Most of my drilling is done at 800 rpm, but for large
bits and wheel cutters use 300 rpm. Plexiglas is harder than wood,
softer than metal so the speed would be somewhere in-between. I
consider most ply as softwood (pine), but there are some hardwood
plywoods.

My experience with thermoplastics (PVC, plexiglass) is they
partially liquefy and flow under heat and pressure, allowing the
cutter to grab. With large bits or fly cutters, lube with paraffin
or beeswax, set the drillpress to low rpm, feed lightly, and back
off the cutter frequently to cool it.