Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Engraving letters in wood bench - how to?

Ok, I have been Googling for some time without success so here I am.

I have a pine bench on which I want to engrave a 2" by 6" backrest board
with some lettering. I can print out exactly what I want in Corel Draw
and then transfer the outline to the board but where do I go from there?

The complete text will consist of letters 4.5" high that combine to be
approximately 6' in length. I could just take my router and go for it
but there must be several tips that would make the learning curve must
less steep. Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.....any
certain font? what bit(s) to use? anything that might help. Heck, even
if this is something that I should not try, please tell me.

Also, if there is one or more URLs out there that would provide some
help please point me to them.

Don

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might consider carving the wood with the appropriate chisels.
Serife fonts work very well with a V-shaped chisel. And the process
might leave some desirable marks / traces if you're looking for a bit
of a retro look.

As for the router approach, obviously a V-shaped bit that will alow
you to go into corners.
Best fitted on a Dremel tool for that size of lettering, if you own
one that also has this sort of attachement:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme...=69679&I=69795
Then a flat-head bit to clear larger surfaces, if needed (endmill or
something similar).

Oh, and you might want to make a shallow cut along the edges with a
sharp knife first, regardless of the process you choose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are a couple of ways to go with this. You could cut the letters
with chisels and gouges, but I bet you want to use power tools. There
are letter stencils and frames to use with a router (something like:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5397 )

.. You could also do this with a "V" bit or veiner, (or other appropriate
bit) and cut freehand. Sears/Craftsman also made a router duplicating
pantograph. I had one set up on my bench at one time (sorry, but the box
and manual are in garage no-man's land - ie; lost). This allows one to
enlarge/reduce from original artwork. You could probably make one of
these:http://www.dust-n-shavings.com/panto...pantograph.htm

Lastly, there are simple, fixed router mechanisms such as the duplicarver
or similar: http://www.terrco.com/index.php?page_name=sign_carving

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"IGot2P" wrote in message
Ok, I have been Googling for some time without success so here I am.

I have a pine bench on which I want to engrave a 2" by 6" backrest board
with some lettering. I can print out exactly what I want in Corel Draw and
then transfer the outline to the board but where do I go from there?

The complete text will consist of letters 4.5" high that combine to be
approximately 6' in length. I could just take my router and go for it but
there must be several tips that would make the learning curve must less
steep. Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.....any certain
font? what bit(s) to use? anything that might help. Heck, even if this is
something that I should not try, please tell me.

Also, if there is one or more URLs out there that would provide some help
please point me to them.

Don
If you have or can get access to an engraver used for plastic it will work
in wood. The type used to make plastic name plates is the one you want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 29, 12:10 am, IGot2P wrote:
Ok, I have been Googling for some time without success so here I am.

I have a pine bench on which I want to engrave a 2" by 6" backrest board
with some lettering. I can print out exactly what I want in Corel Draw
and then transfer the outline to the board but where do I go from there?

The complete text will consist of letters 4.5" high that combine to be
approximately 6' in length. I could just take my router and go for it
but there must be several tips that would make the learning curve must
less steep. Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.....any
certain font? what bit(s) to use? anything that might help. Heck, even
if this is something that I should not try, please tell me.

Also, if there is one or more URLs out there that would provide some
help please point me to them.

Don

Hand cut them. Cheap Stanley butt chisels reground to a skew angle
should work great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

send it to me and I will carve it on my cnc (G) anyway you go practice
on something else first.

Baby Block Letters Jack Woodworking 11 May 2nd 07 05:11 PM
Engraving Wood - What machines are available? djs Woodworking 7 March 3rd 06 08:36 PM
Modular Wood Working Bench [email protected] Woodworking 3 November 28th 05 06:24 PM
best wood for shower bench PipeDown Woodworking 13 November 20th 05 07:14 AM
Wood selection for outdoor bench Art Donaldson Woodworking 8 December 31st 04 02:28 AM