Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Default is this normal ??? What can i do to make it better

I just bought a new cabinet saw the TSC-10HB. I have a massive DC hooked
up to it and yet, there is dust spewing out of it. well, not as much as
the contractor saw I put up with for more years and I am prepared to
admit. I have looked at the cabinet part and there are wholes in it
every where and basically the manufacturer has put a lot of faith in
gravity alone to attract the dust to the lowest point of the cabinet.

I am wondering if this is a normal phenomenon with TSC-10HB (i.e., dust
spewing out of it despite a massive DC being hooked to it). Also is
there anything I could do, or anyone has done to reduce the dust getting
out of the cabinet.

cheers
Al
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Al" wrote in message
I just bought a new cabinet saw the TSC-10HB. I have a massive DC hooked
up to it and yet, there is dust spewing out of it. well, not as much as
the contractor saw I put up with for more years and I am prepared to
admit. I have looked at the cabinet part and there are wholes in it
every where and basically the manufacturer has put a lot of faith in
gravity alone to attract the dust to the lowest point of the cabinet.

I am wondering if this is a normal phenomenon with TSC-10HB (i.e., dust
spewing out of it despite a massive DC being hooked to it). Also is
there anything I could do, or anyone has done to reduce the dust getting
out of the cabinet.

You mean, other than an overhead guard?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

I will assume by "wholes" you mean holes and that's your problem. Everywhere
that air can exit the saw cabinet, dust will follow, so your only solution
is to seal as many as you can except for the dust collection port. Tape on
cardboard, sheet plastic, whatever works and then you should see some
improvement.

Note that you need some space for the air to get *into* the cabinet...at
least as much total area as the dust collection port. The trick is to
have the air coming in through places where there isn't dust trying to
go out.

One of these days I'm going to get some chunks of magnetic sign material
and use them to block off the slots for the front adjustment wheel.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Note that you need some space for the air to get *into* the cabinet...at
least as much total area as the dust collection port. The trick is to
have the air coming in through places where there isn't dust trying to
go out.

Yes, you're right, but even a zero clearance insert should allow sufficient
air flow to stream dust into the cabinet and then into the dust collector
port. As well, most saw blades (at least combination blades) have gullets
which also allows a substantial amount of air flow to be directed into the
cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Upscale wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Note that you need some space for the air to get *into* the cabinet...at
least as much total area as the dust collection port. The trick is to
have the air coming in through places where there isn't dust trying to
go out.

Yes, you're right, but even a zero clearance insert should allow sufficient
air flow to stream dust into the cabinet and then into the dust collector
port. As well, most saw blades (at least combination blades) have gullets
which also allows a substantial amount of air flow to be directed into the
cabinet.

Thanks guys,
you already answered my first question. obviously it is happening. I
used the saw and paid more attention to where actually the saw dust was
getting out and the worst offender is the blade pushing it out into the
guard. It looks like I would have to implement some sort of DC tube to
the guard or perhaps buy one. do you know if you could change the guard
on TSC-10HB ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Al" wrote in message news:46750c8b$0$992
guard. It looks like I would have to implement some sort of DC tube to
the guard or perhaps buy one. do you know if you could change the guard
on TSC-10HB ?

Depends on how much you want to spend. Here's a few examples.
http://www.amazon.com/Exaktor-EXOA-2...2084681&sr=1-1

http://www.woodsmithstore.com/210165.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 1:30 am, Chris Friesen wrote:

One of these days I'm going to get some chunks of magnetic sign material
and use them to block off the slots for the front adjustment wheel.

*tip-of-the-hat*

Brilliant idea... consider that one stolen.

r--- who loves good ideas..anyone's.