Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to buy Mother of Pearl?

Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg. www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, one source is luthier (stringed musical instrument) supply
houses like:

http://www.lmii.com/

or

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_p...ay_Blanks.html

And yes it can be VERY expensive if you're going to do a larg amount
of it.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 02:11:42 -0700, wrote:

Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

Where do you live?

There are a lot of sources, especially in the Eastern US catchment basins.
Mikimoto used to buy his seeding beads from the Tennessee river mussels.

JJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

I'll second Bini's request for information about working mother-of-pearl. I've
some abalone shell fragments that I'd like to use for inlay, but the stuff is
_hard_.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

I'll second Bini's request for information about working mother-of-pearl. I've
some abalone shell fragments that I'd like to use for inlay, but the stuff is
_hard_.

scott

Here is one source of info:

http://www.inlay.com/inlay/pearl/pearl-1.html

A Google search will yield numerous suppliers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com). And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

Take a look on Amazon at this book:

The Art of Inlay: Design and Technique for Fine Woodworking
by Larry Robinson

An excellent text by a guy who knows what he is doing. The covers alone
are worth looking at.

As for the rest, what everyone else said.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anybody know where I can buy Mother of Pearl suitable for
inlaying wooden boxes?
Also, how to cut Mother of Pearl, is it brittle etc? I'm hoping to cut
patterns that are quite detailed, I've seen it done (eg.
www.koreanboxes.com).
And finally, is it expensive material?
Thanks,
Bini

I don't know about Mother of Pearl, but I have done lots of work with
abalone shell.

First of all you need to wear a good mask so as to not breath the dust from
that stuff, it's likda nasty.

You can saw it with a fine jewelers saw, (have never used a scroll saw, but
I don't see why it wouldn't work). It is abrasive and will dull a saw blade
rather quickly.

You can sand it with a disc or belt sander. One thing you need to do is keep
it cook when sanding, the stuff gets real hot, and will crack if it gets too
hot. I just had a container of water close at hand, and would just douse it
to keep it cool.

The stuff polishes up really nice using jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel.

Pearl Jewelry For You snow Home Repair 0 June 11th 07 12:31 AM
Not Every Oyster Holds A Pearl halthouse1 Home Repair 2 December 12th 06 04:18 PM
Neptune v.s Bain Ultra v.s Pearl kipahmom Home Ownership 0 April 10th 05 05:17 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
Mother of Pearl Rhbuxton Metalworking 14 October 29th 03 12:29 AM