Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plans For Attached Shed To Outside Back Wall of Garage

I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage
without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and
I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the
garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the
shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.
Woody
Posted to rec.woodworking

Woody,

I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage

Look for a storage shed in one of the magazines. I seem to recall
a storage unit, like you suggest either in Wood or Workbench within
the last year. Also, go to a book store or Woodcraft (which has
a lot of great books), there's a book on storage sheds (Sunset?)
and I think one of them has what you're looking for.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Mon, Jun 11, 2007, 7:46pm (EDT-1) (Woody) doth sayeth:
I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage
without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and I
want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the
garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the
shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Around here if you attach it to an existing structure like that,
you need to have a permit. If it's free-standin, and no more then
16'X16' don't need a permit. A guy I knew had to pay a fine because of
doing just that. He was told that if it had been put even an inch away,
no prob. So you might want to check first.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Same here in Middle Tennessee Joat. Any agricultural related building
doesn't need a permit, of course so long as they don't annex me into the
city limits. Of course then I will move.

To the OP if you can do what you want and don't need a permit I would
run a 2X along the wall at the height you want your shed roof to be at.
Are you looking to use a lean too type roof?

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com

----
Posted to rec.woodworking

Woody wrote:
I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage
without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and
I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the
garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the
shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.
Woody

Lag a ledger to the existing garage wall and use metal rafter ties to
secure the rafters:

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/RR.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:46:07 -0500, Woody wrote:

I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage
without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and
I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the
garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the
shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.

While I didn't do it for wood storage, I do have a small "shed"
mounted to the back of my shop that holds my compressor and dust
collector and is maybe 8x6 or so. You didn't say how your existing
garage rafters are set up, if it's just rafters and a soffit, wouldn't
it be possible to bolt the extension rafters to the existing rafters?
I wouldn't assume the new shed is going to be that large or that the
roof would be carrying a lot of weight, would it? My shop has a flat
roof with no exposed rafters so I couldn't do it like that.

Make sure you check for city code, you may need a permit, they don't
tend to look kindly on people doing work without them, in fact, they
often just make you tear it all down and start over.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Woody wrote:
I have been searching the web for plans to build a shed for storing
lumber that is attached to the outside back wall of my two car garage
without success. The back wall of the garage is thirty feet wide and
I want to tuck the roof of the shed under the existing soffit of the
garage roof which is eight feet tall. My dilemma is how to attach the
shed roof rafters to the garage wall. Any help would be appreciated.
Woody

Lag a ledger to the existing garage wall and use metal rafter ties to
secure the rafters:

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/RR.html

I concur with the above. I'd also suggest getting a copy
of the FHA minimum property standards. They have drawings
for mimimum standards for almost every conceivable construction
technique. Minimum means just that. There's no law against
stouter than required. But it's a bad mistake to do less.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Jun 11, 2007, 11:18pm (EDT-1)
(Dale*Miller) did sayeth:
Same here in Middle Tennessee Joat. Any agricultural related building
doesn't need a permit, of course so long as they don't annex me into the
city limits. snip

That reminded me of something a friend told me a few years back. A
guy in Raleigh wanted to put up a garage, but didn't want to pay the
increased taxes. So he had to get around the permit, and all. The
increase was going to be on new structures, and getting a permit would
automatically have nailed him. There was to be some sort of eye-ball
view of all the buildings in Raleigh. So he got crew together and put
up his garage in one day, complete with a paint job that made it look
like it had been there for years. It would have worked too, except
someone connected with the tax office had been by there a few days
before, for other reasons, and remembere there'd been no garage then.
LOL The guy was not only stuck with the increase in taxes, he hadto pay
for a building permit, and pay a fine for putting it up with no permit
in the first place I think the nailed him with some sort of a fine on
trying to evade the tax too.. All in all, I think his instant garage
cost him about $10,000 extra.

My garage, at 20'X24' means I've gotta get a permit. It would also
mean I'm required to get a floor poured, no option. I've been thinking
about maybe just putting up a couple of garages, not joined, of about
12'X20', instead - as long as the totall square feet doesn' exceed a
larger area then 16'X16', no permit required, and any type floor.
That'd take care of my kid's, then put up another for just me. Can't
afford to move, so got to come up with creative options.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Insulate Attached Garage AFTER Sheetrock Mike Home Repair 10 October 2nd 06 05:29 AM
Shed Plans geek Woodworking 6 September 26th 05 01:53 AM
attached garage question [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 17th 05 02:51 AM
Tub faucet - what keeps the escutcheon attached to the wall? [email protected] Home Ownership 2 February 2nd 05 05:45 AM
Attached Garage and Planning Permission for Change of Use Jizzy_Lizzy UK diy 13 July 3rd 04 04:09 PM