TAP

Default FYI Dewalt 733 Planer

This may have already been mentioned before, but thought I would let others
know! First of all let me say my planer is about 5 years old, but has had
very little use, I just got back into woodworking and needed to plane some
boards for a friend. I had repacked my planer in its original box took it
out and looked it over and started using it. noticed that the hand crank
seemed a little tight. I put a few drops of lube on it inspected it to make
sure something had not gotten lodged in the lead screws. The more I used it
the tighter it became. So this weekend I decided to tear it down and get to
the bottom of the problem. Here is what I found, one of the screws holding
the locking mech. on one of the post was gone, the sprocket at the other end
of the hand crank, the set screws were loose, so what had happened was the
head was tilted and binding on the columns. Tightened everything up replaced
missing screw and it works like it did when it was new. Also adjusted the in
and outfeed tables with just a tiny bit of rise at each end, and there is
absolutely no snipe. Hope this helps!!!

Todd Pierce

Bob S.

Todd,

About a year ago I made a post here telling of the very same thing - and
sent it to DeWalt informing them of the noted safety defect. They never
responded or acknowledged my email. The fix was as you've noted but add
some locktite (blue) to insure it doesn't happen again.

Bob S.

"TAP" wrote in message
news
[...]

Dewalt Recalls? Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 May 25th 04 12:17 PM
FS: Dewalt planer Nova Woodworking 3 September 8th 03 02:29 AM
The new DeWalt Portable Planer Leon Woodworking 5 August 26th 03 10:54 PM
Thickness planer purchase dilemma- Ryobi or Dewalt? Dale Woodworking 8 July 28th 03 12:14 AM