Chris Berry

Default Box joints for speaker cabinets help needed

Hi all,
I'd like to know the most efficient way to make fairly large box joints for
speaker cabinets without spending too much time doing it or a lot of money
on tools.
I do own a router (well two actually) that I usually use for finer work and
edges but with all the templates I've seen, there's chisel work needed to
square up the joints afterwards.
Is there an easy way to set up a template that can handle this task so that
I can use box joints for the sides (and back maybe) of the cabinet?
The pieces have edges up to 80 cm (32 inches) and are typically between 1/2"
and 3/4" thick birch ply.
I wouldn't mind using dovetails instead if it's any easier.
Thanks.
cb

George

Dovetails would be easier, only because there are fewer, but why are you
even considering making speaker cabinets out of solid wood, when the
acoustic nod goes to particle material?

Box joints can be done on a router, though pieces as large as you mention
would require some handling equipment. It's not rocket science, just a
fence the size of the bit, spaced a bit's width (or a RCH less) from the
cutter. Each cut is referenced to the preceding, just as with tablesaw
jigs, but I have to believe moving a router through a clamped board beats
holding that same large board on a saw. No chisel necessary for any method
I'm aware of.

Personally, I'd use a rabbet/tenon joint on particleboard, then veneer.
Note that veneer does not have to be 1/20th of an inch thick. It could even
be what you resaw and smooth.

"Chris Berry" wrote in message
[...]

Swingman

FWIW, a good friend and fellow band member builds some of the best
engineered (and most expensive) speakers in the world. They use a high
quality, veneered MDF, and build the enclosures using glued rabbet joints.
Panels, cutouts, and rabbets are done using a CNC router, but it's a lot
easier to make a rabbet joint in your shop than to worry with finger joints
or dovetails, particularly in your specified material.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

[...]

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Default RCH was: Box joints for speaker cabinets help needed

Hi George,

How universal is the RCH measurement system? I haven't
heard that one on a while.

Chris
--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

Chris Berry

Ply is what's used for Musical Instrument speakers because of MDF not
behaving well with liquids and manhandling.
I guess that using a template with 2-4 guides and a block or 2 to steady the
template against the board and to hold it in place is going to be the
easiest way.
For best looks, these need to be around the same thickness as the material.
cb

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:34:46 +0200, "Chris Berry"
wrote:

Ply is what's used for Musical Instrument speakers because of MDF not
behaving well with liquids and manhandling.

Not to mention weight.

Barry
Swingman

Who said anything about "Musical Instrument speakers"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

"Chris Berry" wrote in message
Ply is what's used for Musical Instrument speakers because of MDF not
behaving well with liquids and manhandling.
I guess that using a template with 2-4 guides and a block or 2 to steady

the
template against the board and to hold it in place is going to be the
easiest way.
For best looks, these need to be around the same thickness as the

material.
cb

Bigpole

Chris,
You can usually use a dovetail jig to make finger joints. I don't know
if you would get much splintering on the plywood.
Ted

"Chris Berry" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I'd like to know the most efficient way to make fairly large box joints for
speaker cabinets without spending too much time doing it or a lot of money
on tools.
I do own a router (well two actually) that I usually use for finer work and
edges but with all the templates I've seen, there's chisel work needed to
square up the joints afterwards.
Is there an easy way to set up a template that can handle this task so that
I can use box joints for the sides (and back maybe) of the cabinet?
The pieces have edges up to 80 cm (32 inches) and are typically between 1/2"
and 3/4" thick birch ply.
I wouldn't mind using dovetails instead if it's any easier.
Thanks.
cb

Who said they _weren't_ Musical Instrument Speakers?

The original poster stated "speaker cabinets", which could mean car
speaker cabinets, home/audiophile cabinets, musical instrument
cabinets, Sound Reinforcement cabinets, or any other type. The
original poster didn't state what the intended purpose was, so somebody
else stated fact about Musical Instrument Speakers using ply. MDF
is commonly used in home and audiophile speaker cabinets. It
depends upon the intended application.

: Who said anything about "Musical Instrument speakers"?

: --
: www.e-woodshop.net
: Last update: 8/24/03

: "Chris Berry" wrote in message
: Ply is what's used for Musical Instrument speakers because of MDF not
: behaving well with liquids and manhandling.
: I guess that using a template with 2-4 guides and a block or 2 to steady
: the
: template against the board and to hold it in place is going to be the
: easiest way.
: For best looks, these need to be around the same thickness as the
: material.
: cb
:
:

Chris Berry

Sorry for that bit of confusion.
The material to be used was stated and not a point I wanted to bring up for
discussion.
I've had enough discussions about what material for which speaker purpose to
last a life-time.
HOWEVER - now that it's been brought up - I'd like to ask if the material
sold as "Betonplex" over here - essentially waterproofed ply with a non-slip
surface is easy enough to glue or should I remove the surfacing if I take
that route with a router?
Thanks.
cb

Chris Berry

Thanks.
Is there a partial dovetail jig that I can use on larger pieces or must I
make my own?
cb

D K Woods

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:57:48 GMT, Swingman wrote:

FWIW, a good friend and fellow band member builds some of the best
engineered (and most expensive) speakers in the world. They use a high
quality, veneered MDF, and build the enclosures using glued rabbet joints.
Panels, cutouts, and rabbets are done using a CNC router, but it's a lot
easier to make a rabbet joint in your shop than to worry with finger joints
or dovetails, particularly in your specified material.

Sorry, still somewhat of a newbie here, but what is a CNC router? I tried
Googling and found some interesting pictures, but no real description.
Looks like a machinists tool.

thanks
david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

Swingman

Bite me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

wrote in message

Who said they _weren't_ Musical Instrument Speakers?

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

D K Woods wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:57:48 GMT, Swingman wrote:

FWIW, a good friend and fellow band member builds some of the best
engineered (and most expensive) speakers in the world. They use a high
quality, veneered MDF, and build the enclosures using glued rabbet joints.
Panels, cutouts, and rabbets are done using a CNC router, but it's a lot
easier to make a rabbet joint in your shop than to worry with finger joints
or dovetails, particularly in your specified material.

Sorry, still somewhat of a newbie here, but what is a CNC router? I tried
Googling and found some interesting pictures, but no real description.
Looks like a machinists tool.

Computerized Numerical Control. Essentially, a plotter with a router motor
in place of a pen.

Chris Berry

It was more for strength. Marshall make some of the hardiest boxes with
finger joints.
cb