Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Outdoor furniture feet

On May 7, 1:57 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

Good question - smart to think about this at the design stage rather
than a couple years down the road. A few ideas (I haven't tried them,
just some thoughts...)
You could include wood "feet" of some sort that expose long grain to
the ground - kind of like a traditional workbench. Look around -
there's a picture (though it doesn't show the feet closely) at
http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...nch/index.html

Depending on the project, you could also use some sort of leveling
feet or even large-diameter bolts that screw into T-nuts in the ends
of the legs. For example,
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g7158

Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

FWIW....

Furniture on the lawn (glider, bench) get nylon slides tapped into the bottom of the legs, then are
set on bricks. The bricks keep the legs out of the damp grass and a little bit above the weed
whacker level.

Furniture on the patio gets nylon glides tapped into the bottom of the leg. This gives about a
quarter inch of clearance from the concrete, and isn't really noticeable. The slides tend to crack
over time and need to be replaced every year or two. They're fairly cheap from Wally World.

It doesn't hurt to seal the bottom of the legs with a couple coats of finish, epoxy being our
favorite for the bottom of outdoor legs. We still put on the slides and use the bricks, but I wear
a belt and suspenders too..

Probably a dozen other ways to protect the lumber, but this seems to work for us.

Regards,

Roy

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:57:24 -0500, SWDeveloper wrote:

What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote:
What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

If it's on a hard surface, what about basic nail-in furniture glides?

If its on ground/grass, maybe fiberglass around the feet?
Copper/brass/aluminum/stainless "cups" on the bottom few inches?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On a redwood bench I applied thinned (heated) epoxy to the bottom end
grain -- soakes in deep.

On May 7, 10:57 am, SWDeveloper wrote:
What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cut a shallow rabbet around the bottom edges of each leg. Screw 3 or 4
screws into the bottom of each leg leaving the heads about 1/4 inch proud
of the leg bottom. Wrap each leg with packing or duct tape and make a
dam around each leg. The edge of the tape should be at least 1/2 inch
below the end of each leg. Invert the chair/table and pour epoxy onto the
end of each leg and fill the cavity/pocket. When the epoxy has completely
cured sand everything smooth.

Make sure your PT wood is dry before doing this or your new end cap
will break loose as the wood dries and shrinks.

Art

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote:

What can be done with outdoor furniture that rests on the ground?
Although I'm using PT lumber, the end-grain of the furniture legs make
direct contact with the ground.

As others have suggested, furniture glides.

I'd make them from 1/2" sheet PVC stock using #14 Coarse thread, pan
head, S/S, sheet metal screws.

You can make them any size needed.

C'bore the PVC plastic to allow the screw heads to be recessed.

I use them as a standard,

Thew won't cold flow, and are UV resistant.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

If you need special sized feet for the bottom of wooden legs where they will
get constantly wet, use a cheap plastic cutting board. You can trim to size
and shape it with woodworking tools. They keep the water from the end grain
and prevent any damage.