Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood floors

maybe out of this group, but, how do you get rid of black stains on a wood
floor? I want to strip them but a light sanding did nothing to dull these.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

bob kater wrote:
maybe out of this group, but, how do you get rid of black stains on a wood
floor? I want to strip them but a light sanding did nothing to dull these.
thanks

What type of wood and what caused the stains?

Possibilities a

oxalic acid
two part wood bleach
chlorine bleach

See:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to...-furniture.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob,
As the other poster indicated, if you can find out what caused the
stain, the better off you will be in selecting a "bleaching" mechanism. What
I have found to be dam near impossible to fix is urine stains from a cat.
Not sure why, but this seems to be the toughest staining problem to fix. I
gave up and replaced those boards in my house. Previous owner I guess was
not too clever at taking care of thier animals. When you do select something
keep in mind most of these stains are not a fixed darkness. You will have to
be careful not to "overbleach" a area. That will stick out just as bad. I
would use any solution in a diluted state and try repeated treatments rather
that one heavy treatment. This way you can adjust the approach based on the
results.

Paul

WOOD FLOORS; nkz9 Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 04:27 PM
Bad wood floors Louie Home Repair 6 July 19th 06 02:57 AM
Creaking wood floors? nonymouse UK diy 5 July 10th 06 02:01 PM
What type of wood floors? Joe Morris Home Repair 3 January 15th 04 04:15 PM
Kitchen floors suggestions ?(cork, vinal, wood, laminate wood) c_kubie Home Repair 14 December 6th 03 09:37 PM