Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another question about Saw Stop

Okay .. don't yell at me, insult my family, or threaten to hunt me down
and kill me (or worse). I have a simple question.

Saw Stop obviously works on the principles of capacitance and/or
conductivity. Human flesh (and hot dogs too) are essentially just tubes
of water. Hence, they can be easily detected by a current in the blade.

So ... my question is ... has anyone seen or heard of problems with the
Saw Stop when dealing with "wet wood"? Of course, it isn't a great idea
to be sawing wet wood (really wet wood) anyway.

But many woods do have moisture, particularly the crap we buy these days
at the BORGs.

So I was just wondering just how sensitive these machines are. Having
it be overly sensitive isn't a bad thing when you consider the cost of
losing a finger. But if a little moisture stops the saw - and destroys
a nice $150 blade - it could be quite annoying.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message

So ... my question is ... has anyone seen or heard of problems with the
Saw Stop when dealing with "wet wood"? Of course, it isn't a great idea
to be sawing wet wood (really wet wood) anyway.

But many woods do have moisture, particularly the crap we buy these days
at the BORGs.

So I was just wondering just how sensitive these machines are. Having it
be overly sensitive isn't a bad thing when you consider the cost of losing
a finger. But if a little moisture stops the saw - and destroys a nice
$150 blade - it could be quite annoying.

There is a bypass for wet wood. How wet is wet? Why not ask the folks at
Saw Stop as they would know better than any of us here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

We had one "Fault" while cutting very wet pressure-treated lumber with a
SawStop .. .. .. but it didn't fire the brake .. .. .. the blade just
coasted to a halt, and the LED's flashed a Trouble Code. Basically, it
warned us that we were doing something it didn't like, and it shut down
& warned us to review what we were doing. It gives you the option of
continuing at your own risk or running in a Bypass mode.

__ Bøb __