Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Want longer cord for Delta TS

This is from a google search.

Marv

The general rule of thumb for picking wiring size is
· 14-gauge wire is rated for currents up to 15 amps. Circuits in many
homes, especially cost-conscious tract homes, use 14-gauge wiring in most of
the house except the kitchen; even in the garage. This is a distinct
disadvantage nowadays due to hair dryers in bathrooms, computers and other
equipment in bedroom/home offices, etc. Avoid 14-gauge wiring in any new
home if you are building.

· 12-gauge wire for currents up to 20 amps. But a 20-amp breaker must
not be loaded above 16 amps of continuous current draw. This is adequate for
most home shops, provided your bigger tools operate on 240-volt power, and
you don't have multiple tools going at the same time.

· 10-gauge wire for up to 30 amps, or 40 amps if you are running
intermittently loaded motors such as on a table saw or jointer that is not
being used for big production jobs or jobs where you are doing a lot of
continuous cutting. With intermittent loads, you can use 40-amp breakers,
because a 40-amp breaker should not be loaded at more than 32 amps
continuous. Just be aware that you will have more heating in the wire, so it
be as open to ventilation as possible. It shouldn't be buried under the
insulation in an attic, for example, between the breaker panel and the plug
in the wall. 10-gauge wire is rarely used on 120-volt circuits.

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Posted to rec.woodworking

fireant wrote:
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

I'd buy a 25 ft, 10-2 /w/ ground molded cord set, chop off the
receptacle, wire it into the saw, get a beer and admire your handy work.

What you save buying the molded cord set pays for the beer.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

I'd go with 12-3. Some might recommend 10-3 but I don't believe it's
necessary or even beneficial for that length of run. 12-3 will be quite a
bit more manageable in size than 10-3. Just go buy an extension cord at the
local BORG, and chop off the receptacle end, and wire that end into your
saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Depends. If you are going to stay within the 25' then I'd go with 12 guage.
The surge of a starting motor draws more then you think. 10 guage would be
nice if you are even thinking of needing an extension cord. Either way, 14
guage is too small.

I know they wire houses with it, but 14 guage braided copper in a cord is
just not as safe for long distances.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing a 14
gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for 25 feet.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full load,
which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the starting current
of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load current, so a 14 ga wire
is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for wire that will carry more than
25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right choice for a relatively short cable, but
you should go to an 8 ga wire if the full length of the wire from the
breaker panel to the saw will be longer than about 100 feet.

--
Charley

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

12 is adequate, but 10 is prudent, especially if you are a distance from the
breaker box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

I would stick with an extension cord rather than attach a 25' cord directly
to your saw. It will only work with the saw if you attach it.

Something to consider, while many have stated that the 12 ga. will work
fine, If you go 10 ga. you can use it to also power those larger pieces of
equipment you may get in the future. I run a 4.5 hp Laguna BS on a 10 ga.
Too big is not a problem, too small will be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Why did you waste your time with that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
fireant wrote:
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

I'd buy a 25 ft, 10-2 /w/ ground molded cord set, chop off the
receptacle, wire it into the saw, get a beer and admire your handy
work.
What you save buying the molded cord set pays for the beer.

Lew

Well, 12 would likely suffice very nicely, but 10 is better of course from a
heavy load viewpoint. Personally I'd probably just use a good extension
cord; all that cord might not be necessary someday and then you'd be looking
at cutting it off.

Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing a
14 gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for 25
feet. Greg

At 220, that's only 7.5A per wire; NOT much of a problem. YOu're mostly
right, but for the wrong reasons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charley wrote:
A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full
load, which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the
starting current of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load
current, so a 14 ga wire is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for
wire that will carry more than 25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right
choice for a relatively short cable, but you should go to an 8 ga
wire if the full length of the wire from the breaker panel to the saw
will be longer than about 100 feet.

You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line, is
split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez, a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is way off.

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:12:06 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

Charley wrote:
A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full
load, which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the
starting current of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load
current, so a 14 ga wire is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for
wire that will carry more than 25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right
choice for a relatively short cable, but you should go to an 8 ga
wire if the full length of the wire from the breaker panel to the saw
will be longer than about 100 feet.

You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line, is
split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez, a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is way off.

To fireant: If you have any question which of the above replies is
more "all wet", by all means find and ask a local licensed
electrician. The probability of gleaning coherent, accurate
electrical advice from this thread has officially begun its dive
toward zero.

To power my 220V machines, including my 3 HP Unisaw, I use a 25'
extension cord made from 10-2 w/ground.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pop`" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing a
14 gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for 25
feet. Greg

At 220, that's only 7.5A per wire; NOT much of a problem. YOu're mostly
right, but for the wrong reasons.

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three phase on a
daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the 25 foot run.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pop`" wrote in message
Charley wrote:
A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full
load, which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the
starting current of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load
current, so a 14 ga wire is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for
wire that will carry more than 25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right
choice for a relatively short cable, but you should go to an 8 ga
wire if the full length of the wire from the breaker panel to the saw
will be longer than about 100 feet.

You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line, is
split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez, a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is way off.

I am think you need the towel, Pop!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pop` wrote:
Charley wrote:
A 3 hp single phase 220 volt saw motor will draw about 17 amps full
load, which is already more than 14 ga wire is rated for, but the
starting current of that motor can be 150% or more of the full load
current, so a 14 ga wire is WAY TOO SMALL. You should be looking for
wire that will carry more than 25 amps. A 10 ga wire is the right
choice for a relatively short cable, but you should go to an 8 ga
wire if the full length of the wire from the breaker panel to the saw
will be longer than about 100 feet.

You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line,
is split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez,
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is
way off.

You're confusing 220v single phase with 3 phase. In single phase 220
the current is no more "split between the conductors" than it is in 110v
single phase. 17 amps goes out on one, comes back on the other, the
direction reverses 60 times a second.

You're right that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Let's hope
you don't burn anything down before you acquire more.

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing
a 14 gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for
25 feet. Greg

At 220, that's only 7.5A per wire; NOT much of a problem. YOu're
mostly right, but for the wrong reasons.

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run.

Did you really mean to put 20 gage there?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck Taylor wrote:

To power my 220V machines, including my 3 HP Unisaw, I use a 25'
extension cord made from 10-2 w/ground.

That makes two (2) of us.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Thanks for clearing that up. He had me
confused when he talked about splitting
the current too. I was locked in single
phase thinking and it made no sense to me.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Are you trying for a laugh here or what? Does the word "circuit" mean
anything to you? What, you figure that on a 120 volt circuit the juice just
stops at the motor? The other side of the circuit (there's that word again)
just lays there?

"Pop`" wrote in message
You are completely neglecting that the total current, on a 220 line, is
split between the conductors, meaning you're all wet here. Jeez, a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even your 150% number is way off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

Many other opinions have been expressed...some colorfully...howver, take
this for what you will...

....I'm currently moving my equipment from my fathers shop to my own(finally)
and I am running new circuits to the shop. They are 240v 20 amp for the
table saw and the jointer. I tend to use very short cordsets on the
machines...that is, no more than 12" from motor or cabinet to the
plug...then run extension cord to the wall. In this case, I will be using
10ga stranded for both. Both draw no more than 10 amps running...about 14
amps on start up, so 12ga would likely work just fine, but I don't know what
I may have in a year, so I'll still be set.

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Whoa. Ask a seemingly simple question . . . . which was what size power
cord for a 25' run for a 3 HP 220V single phase tablesaw.
Looked through Delta manual, and they recommend 14 ga up to 50'. Found a 12
ga 25' cord at WM which will cover my intermittent use. Thanks all.

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

I would stick with an extension cord rather than attach a 25' cord
directly to your saw. It will only work with the saw if you attach it.

Something to consider, while many have stated that the 12 ga. will work
fine, If you go 10 ga. you can use it to also power those larger pieces
of equipment you may get in the future. I run a 4.5 hp Laguna BS on a 10
ga.
Too big is not a problem, too small will be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "The Davenport's" wrote:

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

And your basis for this belief is -- ?

Let's be realistic, shall we? 3 HP is in the neighborhood of 12 amps at 220 V.
That's not anywhere close to melting 14ga wire. Or the insulation on it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message
Want to replace current 10' cord with 25' cord.
Is 14-3 large enough?

Saw is 3 HP 220V. TIA, F

3 hp equates out to about 15 amps at 220 volts. You will be pushing
a 14 gauge cord. 12 gauge will do it just fine. 10 is over kill for
25 feet. Greg

At 220, that's only 7.5A per wire; NOT much of a problem. YOu're
mostly right, but for the wrong reasons.

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run. Greg

Hmm, OK, I see what you're at. I assumed the OP was a North American
residential, meaning opposing phases of the 110 make up the 220 and thus
each hot carries half of the total current rating. In the UK and other
places, their 240 is indeed going to carry all the current of the rating
since there is only one "hot" conductor plus the neutral.
But at the same time, 240 @ xx Amps, well, that's a different story.
Since the OP stated 220 and 15A, which is how NA power is stated, I suspect
he is in NA. But, your point is taken and valid if he's in a different
country.

Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article GGuSh.10556$AS6.7258@trnddc04, "Pop`" wrote:
Greg O wrote:
You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run. Greg

Hmm, OK, I see what you're at. I assumed the OP was a North American
residential, meaning opposing phases of the 110 make up the 220 and thus
each hot carries half of the total current rating.

I thnk all of us assumed the same thing about the OP's location. You're just
wrong about each leg carrying half the current, that's all.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run.

Did you really mean to put 20 gage there?

--

Damn it! 12 gauge!
Typing faster than brain functions!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pop`" wrote in message

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run. Greg

Hmm, OK, I see what you're at. I assumed the OP was a North American
residential, meaning opposing phases of the 110 make up the 220 and thus
each hot carries half of the total current rating.

I was assuming North America, and you are still wrong!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Whoa. Ask a seemingly simple question . . . . which was what size power
cord for a 25' run for a 3 HP 220V single phase tablesaw.
Looked through Delta manual, and they recommend 14 ga up to 50'. Found a
12 ga 25' cord at WM which will cover my intermittent use. Thanks all.

I would never have guesses that they would recommend 14 gauge cord for any
length! The 3 hp motor must draw less amps than I figured. even though a 12
gauge cord is a good idea to help keep the voltage drop to a minimum.
Any idea what the motor name plate states for amps?
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" writes:

"Pop`" wrote in message

You want to re-think that? I think you are mostly wrong!
Where did the 7.5 amps per wire come from??
Keep in mind that I deal with 220 single phase, 208 and 480 three
phase on a daily basis. I am sticking with my 20 gauge wire for the
25 foot run. Greg

Hmm, OK, I see what you're at. I assumed the OP was a North American
residential, meaning opposing phases of the 110 make up the 220 and thus
each hot carries half of the total current rating.

I was assuming North America, and you are still wrong!
Greg

It would have been more polite to tell him _why_ he was wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
These electrical questions that get answered by the cusless are fun!!!

Greg

Crap!
make that "Clueless"
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "The Davenport's"
wrote:

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you
WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

And your basis for this belief is -- ?

Let's be realistic, shall we? 3 HP is in the neighborhood of 12 amps at
220 V.
That's not anywhere close to melting 14ga wire. Or the insulation on it.

--
Regards,

No...2hp is in the area of 12 amps. 3hp is going to be closer to 16-18,
depending on the motor itself. I will say that it would have been better had
the OP posted the amperage, but still, a 3hp table saw is gonna pull some
amps.

And THAT is what I based my belief on.

Mike