Posted to rec.woodworking

Default built-in bookshelves

I am going to build some built-in bookshelves in my family room. I'd
would like to have 14" deep cabinets at the base, from the top of the
cabinets I want 12" or 13" deep shelves to the ceiling (8ft
ceilings). Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when
loaded with books?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

On Apr 9, 8:12 am, "higgledy" wrote:
I am going to build some built-in bookshelves in my family room. I'd
would like to have 14" deep cabinets at the base, from the top of the
cabinets I want 12" or 13" deep shelves to the ceiling (8ft
ceilings). Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when
loaded with books?

That depends upon a number of factors: How wide are the shelves going
to be? What are they going to be made out of? Are they going to be
fixed or movable? This web site will give you an idea of the "sag" to
width ratio and some idea of the rigidity of sheet goods vrs hardwood
vrs softwood etc. : http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
Hope that helps. bc

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
higgledy wrote:
I am going to build some built-in bookshelves in my family room. I'd
would like to have 14" deep cabinets at the base, from the top of the
cabinets I want 12" or 13" deep shelves to the ceiling (8ft
ceilings). Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when
loaded with books?

How long is a piece of string?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"higgledy" writes:
Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when
loaded with books?

try: http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

one key datapoint you were missing in your post was the span of
unsupported shelf.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 9:12 am, "higgledy" wrote:
I am going to build some built-in bookshelves in my family room. I'd
would like to have 14" deep cabinets at the base, from the top of the
cabinets I want 12" or 13" deep shelves to the ceiling (8ft
ceilings). Will the cabinets support the weight of the shelves when
loaded with books?

Current issue of FWW (dated April 2007, issue # 190 ) has a cover
story and 6 pages of text on "Building Better Bookcases" Its all you
need to know.
Joe G