Teej

Default Wood Plane Blades question

Are stanley and craftsman,seargent woodplane blades interchangable?
Ken Vaughn

Depends on the model and type -- I think most of the smoothing planes made
by Sargent (correct spelling BTW) would take a Stanley iron OK. I don't own
any Sargent smoothers, but in addition to about a dozen Stanley Baileys, I
have two Fulton planes, a 4C and a 7C. These look very much like a type 10
Stanley Bailey plane. Fulton was a Sears house brand name, and I believe
they were made by Sargent. They originally came with a thicker plane iron
which was laminated steel on iron, about the same thickness of a Ron Hock
replacement iron. A Stanley plane iron would fit, but would be a little
more open at the mouth.

I have 4 Sargent block planes:
a 607 low angle block, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 65 1/2)
a 306 standard angle, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 9 1/2)
a 307 standard angle, adjustable mouth (equivalent to Stanley 9 1/2)
a 217 standard angle, fixed mouth (equivalent to Stanley 220)

Two of the above (306, 217) were sold by Sears and these used an iron with
wider grooves and less of them, and the wide grooves were cut completely
through the iron, not just on the back -- the depth adjustment screw had a
round nib to engage the wide grooves. The 607 and the 307 are Sargent brand
(not Sears by Sargent) and they used a standard block plane iron, 1 5/8"
wide, narrow slot, narrow grooves on the back only. A Stanley iron would
fit these.

True Sargent brand planes are probably a little better than Stanley -- they
have a thicker casting, and in the case of the block planes, a better
adjustment mechanism to open or close the mouth.

--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

"Teej" wrote in message
om...
Are stanley and craftsman,seargent woodplane blades interchangable?

Ramsey

Yes and they ALL need to be thicker steel. I don't know if Ron Hock is
still in business but he used to sell some great replacement blades.
See if you can pick up one; it makes a BIG difference.

On 17 Aug 2003 12:32:55 -0700, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

(Teej) wrote in message . com...
Are stanley and craftsman,seargent woodplane blades interchangable?

For all of the most common planes, and a fair number of the less common
ones, yes.

Tom Veatch

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:17:53 -0500, Ramsey wrote:

=Yes and they ALL need to be thicker steel. I don't know if Ron Hock is
=still in business but he used to sell some great replacement blades.
=See if you can pick up one; it makes a BIG difference.
=
=
=

Hock blades are available in a number of outlets. I just replaced the blade in
my Type 11 Stanley #5 with a Hock A2 Cryogenic.

I haven't quite made up my mind whether it was a good move or not. Before I was
cutting little curly shavings of wood. Now it seems more like I'm shaving off
"fluffies". I suppose that's OK, except they tend to float around the shop and
clog up the air conditioner filter.

Getting that blade made an excellent plane into a superb plane. Next step is to
get one for the jointer and smoother.
Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 02:36 AM
What Freemasons would like us to believe........ Henry E Schaffer UK diy 2 February 24th 04 12:06 AM
RSJ on Wood lintel? G&M UK diy 2 February 13th 04 09:08 PM
Back to HF for bandsaw blades Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 4 July 31st 03 09:28 PM