HerHusband

Default Custom trim for round top window

We'll soon be installing a large vinyl round top window in our new house,
which means I'll need to make some cedar trim to match the rest of the
house.

The standard trim is just flat 1x4's, so I'll need to make something with a
curve to fit the round top window.

I thinking I'll join a few 1x6's together at 22 degree angles, then draw
out the circle and cut it out. My big concern is how to join the pieces
together so they'll hold up out in the weather.

I don't have a biscuit joiner, so what would be the best way to join the
segments together?

Hope this makes sense...

Anthony
Pat Barber

Use splines and dadoes cut in the ends of each board... This will be
stronger than biscuits....

A tenoning jig is really handy for this operation...

HerHusband wrote:

We'll soon be installing a large vinyl round top window in our new house,
which means I'll need to make some cedar trim to match the rest of the
house.

The standard trim is just flat 1x4's, so I'll need to make something with a
curve to fit the round top window.

I thinking I'll join a few 1x6's together at 22 degree angles, then draw
out the circle and cut it out. My big concern is how to join the pieces
together so they'll hold up out in the weather.

I don't have a biscuit joiner, so what would be the best way to join the
segments together?

Tom Watson

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:35:47 -0000, HerHusband
wrote:

I don't have a biscuit joiner, so what would be the best way to join the
segments together?

Hope this makes sense...

Anthony

Anthony:

Get a quote on the circle head trim.

It will be more that the cost of the biscuit joiner and the materials
combined.

In other words, the biscuit joiner is free.

This is fair. They do it to us all the time.

Regards, Tom
Tom Watson - Woodworker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson