Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I posted a similar question on a home owners forum but I think you
guys may know a lot more about things like this.

My wife can be sort of compulsive about her cleaning. She vacuums the
floor every week (good)...

She got a floor cleaning machine and every 2 - 3 weeks she cleans
these floors with Bona hardwood cleaner and complains constantly about
how much dirt is in the wash water it collects. (well, maybe OK) but
will all this high-powered cleaning damage the polyurethane sealant on
the floor?

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

Thanks,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, If you were to have these hardwood floors on your outside deck exposed
to the sun, rain and wind: how long will the polyurethane sealant last? The
chemical composition of these new sealants are relatively new. The spraying
process is done under ambient temperature and cured under controlled heat.
At this time, no one can really make a positive statement on the duration of
the polyurethane sealant base on experience. On a short term I do not think
she will damaged the floor.
I do not know how old is your wife? After a while she will probably run out
of steam and find something else to relieve her stress. (just a joke)Then
you may have to take over under her command. Just make sure she does not
get too tired and remind her that she still has to prepare the meals. Maybe
while she is cleaning you could be working on your lathe.

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I posted a similar question on a home owners forum but I think you
guys may know a lot more about things like this.

My wife can be sort of compulsive about her cleaning. She vacuums the
floor every week (good)...

She got a floor cleaning machine and every 2 - 3 weeks she cleans
these floors with Bona hardwood cleaner and complains constantly about
how much dirt is in the wash water it collects. (well, maybe OK) but
will all this high-powered cleaning damage the polyurethane sealant on
the floor?

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

Thanks,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
I posted a similar question on a home owners forum but I think you
guys may know a lot more about things like this.

My wife can be sort of compulsive about her cleaning. She vacuums the
floor every week (good)...

She got a floor cleaning machine and every 2 - 3 weeks she cleans
these floors with Bona hardwood cleaner and complains constantly about
how much dirt is in the wash water it collects. (well, maybe OK) but
will all this high-powered cleaning damage the polyurethane sealant on
the floor?

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

Thanks,
Richard

Hardwood floors should generally be cleaned with nothing more than a
DUSTMOP! Modern floor finishes are pretty durable, but she is certainly
reducing the amount of time before a total refinishing becomes necessary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

After cleaning i use quick shine from holloway house with 3 easy to
apply coats the shine will last for ove 1 month....available at
target, and other places....i dont know what the main ingrediant is
but it works great....ive tried the swiffer wet jet and the system
works well but i don't like the liqued cleaner for it, i think it is
too harsh for the floors

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

A Zamboni?

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in news:qIXJh.7417$M65.6416
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

Richard wrote:

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

A Zamboni?

Nah, the studded tires would just create more spots for dirt to collect.
;-)

Puckdropper

Hardwood floors nancyagor Home Repair 11 May 27th 06 02:52 AM
Cleaning Hardwood Floors Pat in Atlanta Home Repair 6 March 18th 06 02:46 AM
Engineered Hardwood Floors over Solid Hardwood Floors [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 26th 05 04:21 PM
Hardwood Floors Tim Home Repair 8 April 8th 04 07:02 AM
Hardwood floors again Patscga Home Ownership 5 February 1st 04 03:59 PM