What is "natural" stain? How to dispose of old oil stain?

Old January 24th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is "natural" stain? How to dispose of old oil stain?

A friend is moving out of town and doesn't want to take his accumulation of
stains with him. Included is a quart of Minwax "Natural". Is that just
oil, or what?

Some of the stuff he gave me has outlived its usefulness. I have
consolidated it to two quart cans. What do I do with it? In the past I
have tried just leaving it somewhere to evaporate, but that takes forever.
I know the right thing is to take it to the county recyling center, but that
is open between 2:07am and 2:09am every 2/29, and is 20 miles away. Any
more practical solutions?

Old January 24th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

On Jan 24, 8:13 am, "Toller" wrote:
A friend is moving out of town and doesn't want to take his accumulation
of
stains with him. Included is a quart of Minwax "Natural". Is that just
oil, or what?

Some of the stuff he gave me has outlived its usefulness. I have
consolidated it to two quart cans. What do I do with it? In the past I
have tried just leaving it somewhere to evaporate, but that takes
forever.
I know the right thing is to take it to the county recyling center, but
that
is open between 2:07am and 2:09am every 2/29, and is 20 miles away. Any
more practical solutions?

Minwax 209 is a "Danish" oil formulation of sorts. Stir, apply, check for
dry. Use if it does.

Oil-based stains can be burned off and the cans discarded into the regular
trash.

Old January 25th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:13:01 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

A friend is moving out of town and doesn't want to take his accumulation of
stains with him. Included is a quart of Minwax "Natural". Is that just
oil, or what?

It's oil with out any color added, sometimes called "clear".

Pete
Old January 25th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Wrap it up and send it to your favorite tree hugger. If you don't
know one then send it to the tree hugger who invented the internet.
You know who I am talking about.

Old January 25th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking
DAC

Pour it into a larger container (bucket) and mix with saw dust. Let it
sit a couple of days and if any stain leaches from the sawdust, add
more sawdust. Done it many times and is recommened by the local
resouce recovery plant. The same can be done with old paint, or it can
be spread out on cardboard on a warm summers day.

Good luck

DAC

Old January 25th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 12:56 am, Joe Bleau wrote:
Wrap it up and send it to your favorite tree hugger. If you don't
know one then send it to the tree hugger who invented the internet.
You know who I am talking about.

No one person invented the Internet and no one person claims to. You
don't pay attention to the actual words people use.

And since you seem to be the type who thinks it has no harmful impact
perhaps he should send it off to you and you could drink it.

Mike

help needed matching cabinet stain to wall stain [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 4th 07 07:28 PM
Real deck stain, not "thin paint"? Noozer Home Repair 3 August 18th 06 05:02 AM
pine trim stain/natural macson UK diy 2 February 22nd 06 07:10 PM
wood stain, pre-stain, clear coat questions peter Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 08:51 PM