Mike Hide

Default Blower speed

Go to the nearest lowes or HD with a tape measure the pullies on similar
units .Failing that check your furnace blower pully sizes...mjh

--
mike hide
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

"Silverpdx" wrote in message
I recently picked up a Lau blower fan and an electric motor at separate
garage sales.

I want to use these two to make an air cleaner. The kind that hangs

overhead
and circulates air through furnace filters. This is something my shop

really
needs as the airborn dust can get pretty dense at times. I wear a filter
mask when working there but the sawdust gets everywhere.

In planning how to make such a beast I realized that I have no idea how

fast
the blower should be spun. The blower rotor/squirrel cage is 12"

diameter.
This is in a metal enclosure, of course. Can someone please suggest a
speed to spin this? The motor is marked with its speeds so the issue is
working out the size of the pulleys.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Lew Hodgett

"Silverpdx" writes:

I recently picked up a Lau blower fan and an electric motor at separate
garage sales.

I want to use these two to make an air cleaner. The kind that hangs

overhead
and circulates air through furnace filters. This is something my shop

really
needs as the airborn dust can get pretty dense at times. I wear a filter
mask when working there but the sawdust gets everywhere.

In planning how to make such a beast I realized that I have no idea how

fast
the blower should be spun. The blower rotor/squirrel cage is 12"

diameter.
This is in a metal enclosure, of course. Can someone please suggest a
speed to spin this? The motor is marked with its speeds so the issue is
working out the size of the pulleys.

As far as I know, Lau Blower is still in business in Cleveland, Oh.

Why not contact their tech service group?

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

cfans

As an ex-Lau employee perhaps i can help you out.
Lau is no longer in Cleveland, and recently no longer in Dayton Ohio either.

Let me know, or post to the group the width of the blower wheel, or squirrel
cage as the 12" diameter had several wheel widths. Also, check to see if the
blower shaft is 3/4 or 1 inch diameter. Either way the blower will be
limited to no more than 3/4 horsepower unless you have ball bearings.

For what you want to do the model A12 blower is a little large for what you
want so we will want run at fairly low rpms.
For pulleys, you can use die-cast pulleys from TSC or maybe your local Borg
if the have them.

E-mail me and i will let you know what you need.

Mike