Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice needed on prices for used equipment at an auction

An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them? They look to be in good
condition as most of the stuff this guy had seems well taken care of, even
the hand tools.

Craftsman Commercial drill press model 113.24611 8.8 amp.
A monster, as tall as me.

Delta 1.5 hp 15 amp model 10 table saw.
cast iron, but with stamped steel extension wings.

Jet JJ-6CS 6" .75 hp jointer
Solid base, I really need a jointer.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them?

Here is sort of a condensed version of the thought process I go through
in situations like that, roughly in order:
1.) How badly do I need it?
2.) Is it in decent shape? How much time would be needed to fix/tune
it up?
3.) How much does an equivalent new one cost? Would this used one
require any new parts, accessories, etc. in order to make it equivalent
to a new one?
4.) How much are other used ones going for, if available? (ebay,
craigslist in surrounding cities, classifieds, rec.woodworking
archives, etc.)
5.) How much can we afford? (accounting for any applicable family
opinions here)
6.) Even if I don't need it, could I for sure turn it around (ebay,
etc.) for a profit?

I think about those things, and bid accordingly. Yes, it does require
some research beforehand. However, asking what someone else would bid
doesn't necessarily line up with what YOU should bid, because your
answers to the questions above would be different than everyone else's.
Good luck and have fun at the auction - I've been to a few and seen
some screaming good deals, and some real rip-offs.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them? They look to be in good
condition as most of the stuff this guy had seems well taken care of, even
the hand tools.

Craftsman Commercial drill press model 113.24611 8.8 amp.
A monster, as tall as me.

Delta 1.5 hp 15 amp model 10 table saw.
cast iron, but with stamped steel extension wings.

Jet JJ-6CS 6" .75 hp jointer
Solid base, I really need a jointer.

Thanks!

I go with about 50% of the cost of a new tool of similar capacity and
features.

If I knew the source and condition I would go somewhat higher.

After that the warrenty on a new item , parts availability to me make
it a better investment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've been to many auctions and can give you a few tips.

Always make sure you factor in the buyers premium ( typically 10% but
not at all auctions) and sales tax into the price of your item.

Set the price you will pay and don't get caught up in a bidding war.
Raising your bid cuz you just have to have it is a VERY dangerous trap.
This is the mentality the auctioneers try to invoke. They are working
for their client and their own best interest, not making sure you get a
geat deal.

If it has a motor I try to pay 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the cost of new. You
never know how hard it has been run.

Hand tools sometimes go for rediculous amounts. again see tip 2#

Sit back and enter the bidding once or twice early and then back out
just so your comfortable with the biding process. when an item comes
up that you want. enter the bidding later.

Go with a clear idea of value and don't be afraid to bid on something
you didn't intend to buy. I once bought a trumpet for 63.00 because no
one else was bidding. Turned out it was a $1200.00 instrument new and
I turned around and sold it on E-bay for $870.00.

If you can take a straight edge to test the table for flatness and a
dial indicator to test runout etc. It is also a good idea to run the
motors and listen to them if they'll let you.

If you are experienced at auctions then feel free to ignore any of the
above advice.

As for the actual prices I believe previous replies have covered it
rather well.

Have fun and good luck

On Jan 23, 2:07 pm, wrote:
Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them? They look to be in good
condition as most of the stuff this guy had seems well taken care of, even
the hand tools.

Craftsman Commercial drill press model 113.24611 8.8 amp.
A monster, as tall as me.

Delta 1.5 hp 15 amp model 10 table saw.
cast iron, but with stamped steel extension wings.

Jet JJ-6CS 6" .75 hp jointer
Solid base, I really need a jointer.

Thanks!I go with about 50% of the cost of a new tool of similar capacity and

features.

If I knew the source and condition I would go somewhat higher.

After that the warrenty on a new item , parts availability to me make
it a better investment.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

On Jan 23, 1:31 pm, Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them? They look to be in good
condition as most of the stuff this guy had seems well taken care of, even
the hand tools.

Craftsman Commercial drill press model 113.24611 8.8 amp.
A monster, as tall as me.

Delta 1.5 hp 15 amp model 10 table saw.
cast iron, but with stamped steel extension wings.

Jet JJ-6CS 6" .75 hp jointer
Solid base, I really need a jointer.

Thanks!

See if they will let you plug them in and turn them on before bidding.
Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't..
If you can't even be assured they will turn on, the price I'm willing
to pay goes way down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:07:42 -0800, RayV wrote:

Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them? They look to be in good
condition as most of the stuff this guy had seems well taken care of, even
the hand tools.

Craftsman Commercial drill press model 113.24611 8.8 amp.
A monster, as tall as me.

$100

Delta 1.5 hp 15 amp model 10 table saw.
cast iron, but with stamped steel extension wings.

$100

Jet JJ-6CS 6" .75 hp jointer
Solid base, I really need a jointer.

$250

I got the jointer for $250. It is in really good shape, blades still
sharp. All of this guys stuff was excellent. Bought 10-12 chisels for $25,
all sharp. Other good odds and ends. He really took care of his equipment.
Also got a nice workbench with a Wilton quick release vise for $60. Saw
the vise in a catalog for $140.

The table saw went for $300. The drill press for $225-$250, I think.

Another auction tomorrow at someone's house and the wind chill is
expected to be between -9 and -19 with a temp of 11(east IA). Will be
hell, but that means fewer may show up and good deals for me!

Thanks for all the advice.