PC

Default Newbie question edge joining of 3/4 thick cedar.

The only caution is that cedar is soft. Kitchen cabinets get used
heavily and will show the wear perhaps quicker than you'd like. I don't
see that anything other than glue is needed if the boards are edge
jointed first. Four inch boards don't need biscuits. Glue, clamp and
plane.

Phil

Jerry Hobson wrote:
I was talking who does nice work around his house with pine and cedar. He edge
joins a lot of material, it's all over his house.
Not master craftsman work but not bad looking stuff.
I've decided to make kitchen cabinets in my basement suite out of 1 inch cedar.
I have a lot of nice 4 inch wide stuff.

So I asked him what joinery method he recommended expecting him to say biscuits,
or dowels.
He uses small ring nails. He cuts the heads off adds his glue and then forces
the boards together with clamps. He has fancy clamps that apply pressure to all
four sides of his boards at once.
He says this work just as good as biscuits or dowels.

The question I have, is he right?
It seems like an easy and cheap method for joining boards if you keep them under
planner width.

Chris Merrill

Jerry Hobson wrote:
The question I have, is he right?
It seems like an easy and cheap method for joining boards if you keep them under
planner width.

It depends on the type of joint:

For edge-joining boards along the grain:
Yes. The glue gives an edge-joint its strength. The biscuits add a little
and dowels even less. Primarily they provide alignment. I use my plate
joiner all the time, but for alignment, not strength. Except in extraordinary
usage, if the joint fails, biscuits would not have helped. In this case, the
nails simply keep the joint from shifting while the glue dries (a la Norm).

For end-to-edge joining boards (such as a rail-to-stile joint in a door):
Probably not. The biscuit offers significant benefit here. Becaue the glue
joint is end-grain to long-grain, the glue-joint strength is MUCH lower.
The tenon, be it a traditional tenon, floating tenon, biscuit, dowel or nail
is providing a significant amount of the strength against 'racking' of the
joint (twisting force). The nails will not provide much strength here,
especially in soft wood like cedar, since they offer little resitance to
pulling them back out.

--
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)