Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Race to ...

.... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

Very nice. Looks like a happy young lady too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
| ... is finally over:
|
| http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

Was gonna say ya did good; but nothing I could say would hold a candle
to the young lady's smile...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

Ya did good swingman. You must of achieved uncle status with this young
lady with this effort. She seems quite happy with her new chest.

This chest looks substantial, particularly when you include the cedar
lining. How much does this thing weigh? Was it hard to move?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 20:40:08 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

Well, she certainly should be smiling. Very nicely done sir.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

This chest looks substantial, particularly when you include the cedar
lining. How much does this thing weigh? Was it hard to move?

Not too bad to move around without the drawers and the tray ... I'd say
about 60 + lbs total (I estimated the top at + 10lb when deciding upon the
size and number of counterbalanced lid supports) ... I could lift it off the
bench until the top and drawers went on, but after that it became a bit
awkward to grab.

It does have a very substantial, solid feel to it that you immediately
notice when opening the lid/drawers ... unlike the ubiquitous $300 cedar
chests you see around, you have to want to move it for it to budge.

A very slight young lady and I carried it up a flight of stairs with no
trouble ... but then again, this particular young lady, a family friend from
Venezuela, who weighs not much more than 100 lbs, if that, is a world class
soccer player, is in college on a tennis scholarship, and can out eat a
table of 300 lb NFL lineman ... I've never seen anything like it. I would
definitely want her on my side in a fight.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Well, she certainly should be smiling. Very nicely done sir.

Thank you!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

The cherry trays almost look curly. Is that a photo illusion or do
those trays have that much figure?

Oh man, now that you mention it, it was REAL tough/time consuming finishing
that tray...

.... sanded to 220 before it was assembled, then 3 coats of BullsEye Clear
Shellac sprayed on in about as many minutes, out of a spray can no less ...
that is ALL that was done to that tray insofar as "finish" ... sorta makes
you sick, don't it?

Cut from a single 6" x 72" x 1/2" cherry board I've had around the shop for
a while (a reject from another project because I didn't have the time then
to sort out a bit of bow and twist), it looked like "tray wood" to me and I
didn't pay too much attention to it until it was shellacked ... then that
figure popped out of nowhere.

Sometimes we forget/are humbled by what the simple application of shellac
can do to a nice piece of wood.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

Excellent!.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Excellent!.

Thank you kindly!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I hate it when that happens... Again, the whole thing looks very
nice, obviously an instant heirloom.

Thanks ... however, "instant" is a relative term. That big, overgrown
jewelry box took longer, from start to finish, than it does for me to make
the cabinets for an entire kitchen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I hate it when that happens... Again, the whole thing looks very
nice, obviously an instant heirloom.

Thanks ... however, "instant" is a relative term. That big, overgrown
jewelry box took longer, from start to finish, than it does for me to make
the cabinets for an entire kitchen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Yeah, but her kids won't be fighting over Mom's kitchen cabinets in 80
years.

Wonderful work. Hopefully I'll be able to gift something that nice to
someone one day.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
... is finally over:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects12.htm#hopechest

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

WOW! That is the balls!. Very nice work. The documentation is pretty
slick too. Where do you get the time???

-jtpr

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I hate it when that happens... Again, the whole thing looks very
nice, obviously an instant heirloom.

Thanks ... however, "instant" is a relative term. That big, overgrown
jewelry box took longer, from start to finish, than it does for me to

make
the cabinets for an entire kitchen.

Yeah, but her kids won't be fighting over Mom's kitchen cabinets in 80
years.

LOL ... but they would have the oppotunity if they buy one of the house with
my kitchen cabinets!

Wonderful work. Hopefully I'll be able to gift something that nice to
someone one day.

Thanks for the kind words.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message

WOW! That is the balls!. Very nice work.

Thank you!

The documentation is pretty
slick too. Where do you get the time???

Work, being mostly wood/building related these past few years, is usually
done close to the shop, if not in it, and what isn't is heavily cell phone
oriented ... and the "documentation" is sort of a pleasant-to-me, very early
morning, compulsion that goes along with it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I hate it when that happens... Again, the whole thing looks very
nice, obviously an instant heirloom.

Thanks ... however, "instant" is a relative term. That big, overgrown
jewelry box took longer, from start to finish, than it does for me to make
the cabinets for an entire kitchen.

Right!

The "instant" part comes at the presentation of the gift!

A Race to ... Swingman Woodworking 1 December 25th 06 07:10 PM
A Race to ... Swingman Woodworking 7 December 24th 06 12:09 AM
OT, shifting race cars mm Home Repair 7 February 15th 06 11:40 PM
Pineywood Race - without bogus name Tom Watson Woodworking 18 January 25th 06 04:46 AM