Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BLO Shelf Life

I recently moved and the PO left a partially full can of BLO. I have no idea
how old it is. I do know it is still liquid. What is the shelf life of BLO
and is there an easy test to determine if it is still useful?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Russ Stanton" wrote in message
I recently moved and the PO left a partially full can of BLO. I have no
idea how old it is. I do know it is still liquid. What is the shelf life of
BLO and is there an easy test to determine if it is still useful?

In anaerobic conditions, probably centuries. To test, you take some and put
a thin coat on a non-porous surface. If it gells then films, it's good.
Remember, the clock starts ticking the first time you admit oxygen to the
can.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a partial gallon that I bought decades ago. It is still useful for
making varnish, BLO and turpentine finish.
Dave
"Russ Stanton" wrote in message
I recently moved and the PO left a partially full can of BLO. I have no
idea how old it is. I do know it is still liquid. What is the shelf life of
BLO and is there an easy test to determine if it is still useful?

Shelf life of plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 29 September 11th 06 08:56 PM
De-Icer cans shelf life ? Victor Gi4LKG UK diy 3 December 29th 05 06:59 PM
Titebond Shelf Life Jerry Woodworking 4 May 19th 05 03:50 AM
Watco shelf life Earl Woodturning 2 April 8th 05 02:04 AM
Cement shelf life mike ring UK diy 27 March 29th 05 01:14 AM