Posted to rec.woodworking

Default help needed matching cabinet stain to wall stain

I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in
ps.com:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...onid=315X0&doo
rstyleid=135 To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and
select Finish "Peppercorn"

The cherry cabinets will be darker in a couple of seasons anyway. I'd
suggest trying to enjoy the difference. Or make it more different. Unless
Kraftsmaid didn't actually use cherry, but toned something else to 'look
like cherry'.

This wood stuff, like people, change with age. Sometimes better, sometimes
not.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

I matched a job like that by using a brown dye and a dark mahogany stain.
Took a hell of alot of trial and error to get it right, but I matched it
perfectly. That was your contractor's screw up; he just did it and it was
wrong. Oops! I hope he was at least cheap.

Assuming you don't want to strip it, see if they have a Minwax polyshades
that will work. I used a dark walnut once and got oak pulls to match a
walnut cabinet pretty good. (bought the can at a garage sale for a dime!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

Your "contractor" should have matched the stain on scrap before applying it
to the finished product.