Montyhp

Default Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard

Rich,

I used the standard base in my old router table. Fine adjustments are not
very easy as you have to put your hands underneath the table and twist the
motor body to change height. The real problem I had is that wood chips got
in between the motor and the based and scored the metal causing the base to
be difficult to adjust. Now I have a new table and have mounted the plunge
base. Works much better now that I have added a fine adjustment handle.
Neither of these is an ideal solution as there are much better table routers
out there (some of the Milwaukees have through the base adjustments built
in), but the plunge base works better for me.

Noel

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
I am looking at buying a Porter cable 690 router possible with the
opitional plunge base.

My plan is to mount it under my table saw extension and from time to
time use it as a freehand router

When I mount it under my table saw which base do I use? I was
inititially planing on using the standard base under the table. But I
have some concerns....

Can I get a micro adjustment with a standard base? My plan was
initially to get something that can micro adjust from the bottom and
convert it to a router raizer type setup later when I get some more
cash. However when looking at the router raizer site it appears they
only work with the plunge version.

If I use the standard base is there a way to micro adjust it from the
bottom? And is there a way to convert it to a top adjustable setup
later for under $100. I know jessem makes a $200 router lift but was
wondering if there is anything in the $100 range that works with
standard (non-plunge) routers?

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:24:07 -0400, "Montyhp"
wrote:

Rich,

I used the standard base in my old router table. Fine adjustments are not
very easy as you have to put your hands underneath the table and twist the
motor body to change height.

The Bosch 1617 is extremely easy to adjust when mounted in a table
with it's fixed base. The switch stays in the same place, too.
Bosch sells a kit with an extra fixed base with no handles, and an
extension rod for the adjuster, for about $50 (Tool Crib). This
allows you to regain use of the original fixed base and simply swap
the motor in and out of the table.

Since the OP hasn't purchased the router yet, I'd suggest checking out
the Bosch.

Barry

DarylRos

When in doubt, go with the 690. When router accessories are made, they are
built first to fit that workhorse. Mine is also set on a table saw wing. Go get
another 1001 base for a few bucks and keep it fixed on the router taable. That
way you can install the router motor with a twist in the bayonet mount.

I even do frame and panel doors with it. Just take light cuts.