DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Delta 14" band saw dust collection (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/186175-delta-14-band-saw-dust-collection.html)

Max December 17th 06 06:37 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

tom December 17th 06 07:18 PM

Max wrote:
I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not
much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

You might check out Iturra Designs' catalogue, and they're not on
the net. Toll-free 888.722.7078. There's a set-up they sell for less
than fifty bucks ($37 in their 2005 catalogue) that improves dust
collection. Got Carter blade guides on this saw? If so, this connector
won't work for you. Tom

Steve knight December 17th 06 08:18 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:37:15 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

drill a 4" hole in the back of the saw right behind the blade or in
front on the door. this works pretty well.

Curran Copeland December 17th 06 09:08 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

I did the door and it works real well, wish I had done the back side though.
Dust collector in door makes it hard to change blades.

Leuf December 18th 06 12:49 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

I have the metal Delta fitting that attaches below the table. I
bought it years ago at Coastal Tool. My particular fitting accepts a
5" dust hose. It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else
I've seen. It was ~$20 US, as I recall.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-239-D.../dp/B00004Z048

Ridiculous price.

What I'm currently using is just the shop vac with tapered nozzle
hanging from a string tied to the table pin. If you can get the
sawdust right below the table before it gets to the lower blade guides
then you'll get most of it. I intend to make a better fitting
attachment in the future, but the tapered nozzle is working pretty
well for the short term.

-Leuf

Max December 18th 06 01:55 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

"tom" wrote in message
ps.com...

Max wrote:
I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not
much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

You might check out Iturra Designs' catalogue, and they're not on
the net. Toll-free 888.722.7078. There's a set-up they sell for less
than fifty bucks ($37 in their 2005 catalogue) that improves dust
collection. Got Carter blade guides on this saw? If so, this connector
won't work for you. Tom

No Carter guides.
Thanks, Max

Max December 18th 06 01:56 AM

wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

drill a 4" hole in the back of the saw right behind the blade or in
front on the door. this works pretty well.

I was hoping to find a way without having to cut any holes.
Thanks, Max

Max December 18th 06 01:58 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

"Leuf" wrote

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-239-D.../dp/B00004Z048

Ridiculous price.

-Leuf

That'll work for me.

Thanks,
Max

Frank Boettcher December 18th 06 02:09 AM

wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

What model? Enclosed stand or open? Older domestic model or newer
imported?

Frank

Max December 18th 06 02:52 AM

wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

What model? Enclosed stand or open? Older domestic model or newer
imported?

Frank

Wow. Didn't realize there was that much difference in the 14" model(s).
I've had it for about fifteen years; I guess it's a little older.
Closed stand. I'm not in the shop or I would look to see which model it is.

Max

Woodhead December 18th 06 02:53 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

I modified the little factory port to 2", placed a 4"& 2" Y behind the saw.
Its mounted at the top of the leg with the 2" port facing toward the now
modified factory port. Then I cut a 4" hole in the door just below the
center of the drive wheel. A 4" flex hose runs from the door around the
left side, over the motor and connects to the Y. Works great and no problem
chanhinh blades since the door hinge swings toward the motor where the 4"
hose runs. Looks ungainly, but no more choking on fine dust.

Jim in the Bluegrass

Jim

Frank Boettcher December 18th 06 03:47 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:52:07 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

What model? Enclosed stand or open? Older domestic model or newer
imported?

Frank

Wow. Didn't realize there was that much difference in the 14" model(s).
I've had it for about fifteen years; I guess it's a little older.
Closed stand. I'm not in the shop or I would look to see which model it is.

Max

Best dust collection for an enclosed stand (at least as tested best
prior to introduction) is the method used for the current Delta
domestic unit such as the X5. It uses a cuttout in the bottom of the
lower guard that is over a cuttout in the stand with a chute that
angles to the back of the stand.

After seeing the test results (vs. all the other methods in use at the
time) I modified my older 14" enclosed stand model in the same manner.
Not easy, but can be done with some metal cutting equipment to make
the cuttouts and some sheet metal to form the duct and a little caulk
to seal it off. You also have to remove the inadequate dust collector
under the guard below the table and seal that hole off.

If you go to a dealer who stocks that unit you can see how it is
configured then copy it.

Frank.

Steve knight December 18th 06 06:16 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:08:56 -0600, "Curran Copeland"
wrote:

I did the door and it works real well, wish I had done the back side though.
Dust collector in door makes it hard to change blades.

not sure why I did not. I guess the door would be easier to replace. I
only change them when they are dull so it is not that big of a deal.

Phisherman December 18th 06 12:45 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

I have the metal Delta fitting that attaches below the table. I
bought it years ago at Coastal Tool. My particular fitting accepts a
5" dust hose. It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else
I've seen. It was ~$20 US, as I recall.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-239-D.../dp/B00004Z048

Ridiculous price.

But, not a bad idea. I'm sure I could make one from scrap material
and the picture provided. Currently I'm using a wooden doughnut that
I turned on my lathe. It has a tapered hole that friction-fits onto
the Delta DC port, then the 4" DC hose fits over the outside.

B A R R Y December 18th 06 12:53 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

Best dust collection for an enclosed stand (at least as tested best
prior to introduction) is the method used for the current Delta
domestic unit such as the X5. It uses a cuttout in the bottom of the
lower guard that is over a cuttout in the stand with a chute that
angles to the back of the stand.

I have an X5, and the front sheet metal collector works far better than
the chute / rear connector. I've tried them connected by wye and
individually, and the front collector has worked the best for me.

B A R R Y December 18th 06 12:59 PM

Leuf wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-239-D.../dp/B00004Z048

Ridiculous price.

Not really, once you've used it. I paid ~ $20-25, but that was several
years ago.

The mountings attach to the table locks, so a twist if the levers swings
it away for blade changes or lower guide adjustments.

Eddie Munster December 18th 06 02:40 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

I mounted a blastgate on the bottom door. I can open it and put on a
four inch hose. it works good. Also screwed on the inside is an expanded
steel mesh to keep out fingers. I did use some stick on foam
weatherstripping to seal up some of the gaps, but didn't need to really

John

Frank Boettcher December 18th 06 03:08 PM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:53:45 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Best dust collection for an enclosed stand (at least as tested best
prior to introduction) is the method used for the current Delta
domestic unit such as the X5. It uses a cuttout in the bottom of the
lower guard that is over a cuttout in the stand with a chute that
angles to the back of the stand.

I have an X5, and the front sheet metal collector works far better than
the chute / rear connector. I've tried them connected by wye and
individually, and the front collector has worked the best for me.

Glad you're having that experience.

I did watch them all lined up cutting the same volume of wood.
Delta's old front guard port, an enhanced version of that, the lower
base casting side port, Delta's and several competitiors, and the
clear winner (as determined by weighing the amount of dust collected)
was the bottom guard/cuttout in the stand. Made a believer out of me,
therefore I modified my older unit.

The tests, however did not include any accessory items, only what was
provided stock with the units.

Frank

HappyGilmore December 19th 06 01:19 AM

Delta 14" band saw dust collection

"Max" wrote in message
t...
I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Try these:

Good: http://onlinetoolreviews.com/article...collection.htm
Better: http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews...dustpicker.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 110+ woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Nova Cole Jaws
- The Dust Picker!
- Leigh D1600 Dovetail Jig