Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Retarding white glue...?

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...

Joe Bemier wrote:
TiteBond III has an open time of 10min

I'm of the opinion that their marketing department got a bit carried away

on
this particular claim. I've found the open time to be much closer to 7
minutes, or less, no matter the ambient temperature.

(... and I sincerely hope I am just exercising a bit of age based

cynicism.)

Speaking of advancing cynicism, and reasons therefo

Because it was close, I stopped by certain well known woodworking store
yesterday to buy some plastic resin glue (which they don't carry, BTW) for a
glue-up that required a long "open" time due to its complexity.

After the fruitless search, and upon being asked what I was looking for ("a
glue with a long "open" time"), I was ASSURED by _every_ salesman in the
store that TiteBond III had an "open/assembly time of 30 to 90 minutes"!

"If you can't do, teach" ... or become a salesman.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Snip

After the fruitless search, and upon being asked what I was looking for
("a
glue with a long "open" time"), I was ASSURED by _every_ salesman in the
store that TiteBond III had an "open/assembly time of 30 to 90 minutes"!

"If you can't do, teach" ... or become a salesman.

You should have asked for a demonstration of that 30 to 90 minute open time.
I bet it would have only taken you 10 minutes to prove them wrong. ;~)
I wonder if Bearings or Clarks would have WeldWood. IIRC it is made by DAP.
HD maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You should have asked for a demonstration of that 30 to 90 minute open

time.
I bet it would have only taken you 10 minutes to prove them wrong. ;~)

LOL!

Actually, I didn't want to leave some future unsuspecting newbie at their
mercy, so I convinced the manager to go in the back, log onto Franklin
International's website, and alleviate their mistaken notions.

I mean, never miss an opporunity to be a good citizen, right? ... at least
around the holidays!

I wonder if Bearings or Clarks would have WeldWood. IIRC it is made by

DAP.
HD maybe.

Clark's has it for sure, because that is the last place I bought it.

But, considering the time and traffic, I got by with the usual, and well
practiced, one-man-shop technique of "divide and conquer":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC3.JPG
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC4.JPG

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Leon" wrote in message

You should have asked for a demonstration of that 30 to 90 minute open

time.
I bet it would have only taken you 10 minutes to prove them wrong. ;~)

LOL!

Actually, I didn't want to leave some future unsuspecting newbie at their
mercy, so I convinced the manager to go in the back, log onto Franklin
International's website, and alleviate their mistaken notions.

I mean, never miss an opporunity to be a good citizen, right? ... at least
around the holidays!

Exactly!

I wonder if Bearings or Clarks would have WeldWood. IIRC it is made by

DAP.
HD maybe.

Clark's has it for sure, because that is the last place I bought it.

But, considering the time and traffic, I got by with the usual, and well
practiced, one-man-shop technique of "divide and conquer":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC3.JPG
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC4.JPG

Looking good!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
[...]

Boy that's a stretch. I was having trouble getting ten minutes back
in the summer when it was so hot.

I did talk to the titebond people at IWF and asked them what I could
do for a longer open time. They said in extreme heat I could add 5%
by volume, water for a longer open time without affecting the
strength.

Frank