Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using mirror as a door

Hello. I am making a small medicine cabinet. Due to the small size,
I'd like to avoid putting the mirror in a frame (to maximize mirror
size due to my rather giant head). My thought was to use a hinge like
this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2274

with a mirror instead of a piece of glass. Then someone reminded me
that the glass that is normally used for this purpose is termpered.

But, because I would already have to laminate something to the back of
the mirror to protect the silvering, my thought is tempering would be
less necessary. If it breaks, the laminated backing would hold it
together.

Any thoughts on what to use to laminate to the back to protect the
silvering and to provide protection in the event that it breaks? Would
contact cement be safe to use on the back of a mirror?

TIA,
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd stick with a tempered glass mirror.

Your adhesive might stuck to the silvering, but not keep
the glass in place.

If the backing expands or contracts, it might crack the
mirror.

From a safety standpoint, I would use clips or a frame to
hold the mirror in place. A tempered glass mirror would
also be a good idea.

wrote:

with a mirror instead of a piece of glass. Then someone reminded me
that the glass that is normally used for this purpose is termpered.

But, because I would already have to laminate something to the back of
the mirror to protect the silvering, my thought is tempering would be
less necessary. If it breaks, the laminated backing would hold it
together.

Any thoughts on what to use to laminate to the back to protect the
silvering and to provide protection in the event that it breaks? Would
contact cement be safe to use on the back of a mirror?

TIA,
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could you get double sided foam sheets (sticky both sides) and fix mirror to
foam, then create "door" panel out of wood and fix it to other side.
Frameless mirror and wood to attach piano hinge to cabinet!
** Double-sided mounting tape avail from ACE hardware locally is 3/4" x 15'
and would suffice if you didn't mind cutting and affixing dozens of strips
of material.

Spray cans of adhesive would do as well with an intervening layer of foam.
Foam compensates for lack of flat surface in wood. Also available at Home
Depot here is a mirror adhesive - globs of it are employed - it looks like
tar!

In that same department you may find channel designed for mounting mirrors
which provides a very small lip at the front leaving sufficient room for an
average face.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

My medicine cabinet has a mirror covered wood door and it uses clips on the
side to hold the glass in place.

It is the original to the house (1955) so I do not know if it is tempered or
not.

If I was going to build a medicine cabinet from scratch, I would consider
making the cabinet deeper than the wall cavity either by building the box so
it sticks out or in a bit more. You might also consider keeping the shelves
back from the inside of the door and use the space to hang tooth brushes and
razors.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Dec 2006 12:44:42 -0800, wrote:

Hello. I am making a small medicine cabinet. Due to the small size,
I'd like to avoid putting the mirror in a frame (to maximize mirror
size due to my rather giant head). My thought was to use a hinge like
this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2274

with a mirror instead of a piece of glass. Then someone reminded me
that the glass that is normally used for this purpose is termpered.

You may have noticed that the hinge is made for 1/4" glass. If you
add much thickness to the mirror (by adding to the back) it may no
longer fit into the hinge. I'd ask my glass guy what he recommends.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Be sure any adhesive you use on the back of the mirror says it is for
mirrors. Other adhesives can eat through the finish and give you a
custom non mirror. See the first few paragraphs
http://www.glazerschoice.com/faq.phtml
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tempered has nothing to do with the strength of the glass or mirror. It only
means that the surface of the glass is more scratch resistant.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It has removed 3434 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Burgy wrote:
Tempered has nothing to do with the strength of the glass or mirror. It only
means that the surface of the glass is more scratch resistant.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

2 wrongs.

tempering glass is a method of setting up deliberate tension between
the skin and the internal part of the glass sheet. it imparts a higher
strength to the glass, and it doesn't have anything to do with scratch
resistance.

you can laminate glass with sheet plastic. look into the stuff they use
to tint car windows, although it may not stick well to the paint
protecting the silvering. i have also seen mirror laminated with very
thin sheets of fiberglass batting, almost like a thin sheet of cloth
(like they use to repair boats/vettes).

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts