Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Both should still be available at Sears.
I noticed the router bit attachment on the rack in my local store just 2
weeks ago (last time I was there). The drill chuck is even more common and
should be even easier to find. I bought one of these off the rack at Sears
last year with no problem. All Craftsman radial arm saws use the same part
numbers, which is why they are still available. In my opinion neither part
is very useful though. The saw's motor doesn't turn fast enough to get good
results with a router bit and unless you plan on using a buffer or something
with the drill chuck it isn't very useful either. It's a very difficult way
to drill holes.

--
Charley

"V" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Ebay would be a good start.
Scott.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I second this reply. I have an RAS and bought the router attachment many
years ago. The 3400 ish rpm is just too slow. This is a result of the
motor being designed to be direct drive and so spins at a speed designed for
the blade.

In addition the RAS deflection under load can result in inconsistent
results.

There are times I would like my RAS carriage to hold a router, and I have
come close to "converting" my RAS by removing the motor and building a
carriage, but have not gone beyond the pondering stage.

I recommend a regular router. Even a cheapo router will likely provide
better results than this inconceived attempt to have the RAS do something
for which it is not designed.

Some time ago Hitachi used to have an RAS whose motor spun at 15 or 17K and
so was possible to use with a router attachment. The blade was then geared
down to the normal 3400 ish rpm.

Dave Paine.

"Charley" wrote in message
Both should still be available at Sears.
I noticed the router bit attachment on the rack in my local store just 2
weeks ago (last time I was there). The drill chuck is even more common and
should be even easier to find. I bought one of these off the rack at Sears
last year with no problem. All Craftsman radial arm saws use the same part
numbers, which is why they are still available. In my opinion neither part
is very useful though. The saw's motor doesn't turn fast enough to get
good
results with a router bit and unless you plan on using a buffer or
something
with the drill chuck it isn't very useful either. It's a very difficult
way
to drill holes.

--
Charley

"V" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote in message
Both should still be available at Sears.
I noticed the router bit attachment on the rack in my local store just 2
weeks ago (last time I was there). The drill chuck is even more common and
should be even easier to find. I bought one of these off the rack at Sears
last year with no problem. All Craftsman radial arm saws use the same part
numbers, which is why they are still available. In my opinion neither part
is very useful though. The saw's motor doesn't turn fast enough to get
good
results with a router bit and unless you plan on using a buffer or
something
with the drill chuck it isn't very useful either. It's a very difficult
way
to drill holes.

--

I agree with the router part; 3400rpm is too slow to do anything useful.
But I have use the drill several time as a horizontal boring machine. It

Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent router

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

I have a good router. I only wanted it because I got the saw for $100
bucks and with it's ability to bet set in tons of positions I figured I
could use it as shaper to make mortises.

L d'Bonnie wrote:
V wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my
old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent router

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

No luck on Ebay or Sears. Sears was able to find the saw, but the
parts person laughed when he found out it was made in 1954. Oh well,
it still cuts like a champ, and has one of the most powerfull and
quietest motors I've ever used.

Thanks,