Sir Edgar

Default Question?????

This may be a foolish question with an obvious answer but I have to ask
it. Why do posters put a "phony" address on their posts without a note
in their text to that effect? The only reason I can see is so they will
not get e-mails in response to their questions. I read a post that had a
question which had a sense of urgency about it. I had the answer and
rather than wait for it to be posted I sent an e-mail to the address
shown. It promptly came back with an invalid address notification.
Actually I felt rather annoyed that I had taken the time and trouble to
help someone with a problem and I was writing to a "ghost". I won't
mention any names but the question had to do with removing a frozen
screw. If there is something I do not know about this, please enlighten
me. You are welcome to post your responses or write an e-mail. Thanks.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Leon

Most often to prevent SPAM and or a bot from sucking up all the e-mail
addresses in a news group and sending more Spam.

IMHO the e-mail address, if invalid, should be easily recognizable so that
it can be easily corrected by an individual responder. Offending Computers
normally dont read the address and make the corrections needed for a
successful Spam attempt.

Gerald Ross

The same reason that some people sign with a phony name.

Sir Edgar wrote:

This may be a foolish question with an obvious answer but I have to ask
it. Why do posters put a "phony" address on their posts without a note
in their text to that effect?
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

--

Gerald Ross Cochran, GA
To email add 13 before the at.

Other Brother Kevin

timonjkl wrote:

(Sir Edgar) wrote in news:11724-3F1869A1-115
:

[...]

I would never sen a answer by e-mail why not share the info with
everyone? I your the one with the answer others may need it to bu not
want to get riped with do a Google. If you mail him I may miss a very
important tip I read the groups to learn and have fun.

If I post to a group I follow up and watch for responses if someone wants
my address they can ask and I will send it otherwise I will weight for a
answer If it is an emergency I get a pro to do it.

I have emailed people directly with information for a nationally known
craftsman, so this craftsman wouldn't have to defend his statement every
time he runs into one of you.

I have also emailed to flame the ******* who I totally disagreed with
his point or the attitude it was delivered in. A good old personal
flaming.

I have had people reply to me and the group with the same post

Most of the time it's just something I DON' T care to share with you and
if you don't know I'm sharing with others you won't miss it any ways.

Kevin

Remove SNIP to reply, but I haven't looked at that address for almost a
year so don't bother.

Michael Baglio

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:41:53 -0400 (EDT), (Sir
Edgar) wrote:

This may be a foolish question with an obvious answer but I have to ask
it. Why do posters put a "phony" address on their posts without a note
in their text to that effect?

snip...
... I sent an e-mail to the address shown. [snip]
Actually I felt rather annoyed that I had taken the time and trouble to
help someone with a problem and I was writing to a "ghost".

Sir Edgar, it's generally considered good manners to respond to a
usenet posting on usenet and not by direct email. People use false
email addresses primarily to avoid spam, but that's a seperate issue
from the one you posed about being annoyed that an email from you
bounced back.

Today, storage space is dirt cheap, but it wasn't always so. In the
dim dark days of early usenet, those who had email boxes paid a lot
more for the space they took on their ISP's server than we do now.
Because of that, it was considered bad form to reply by email to a
usenet posting. You simply didn't take up someone's email server
space with an answer that could be read "for free" by the original
poster on usenet. Bad form and all that...

The convention still (largely) holds. Although members of this group
and I correspond with each other off group all the time, if a question
is asked on _this_ forum, I reply on this forum, and I don't copy it
to the poster's private email address. It may, nowadays, be a quaint
custom, but I still think it's courteous not to impose on someone's
email box without invitation.

Since this is usenet it's almost certain that others will have
differing opinions, but I'm sticking with mine. ;

Hope this helped,

Michael Baglio
Chapel Hill

timonjkl

[...]

what good for the goose isn't good for the gander?

Remove SNIP to reply, but I haven't looked at that address for almost
a year so don't bother.

Well then do you use usenet at all its not a private forum use IRC or IM
I don't use a e-mail address because I don't want anyone to have it until I
feel someone can be trusted and that I may be interested in personal
conversation with. I don't know you and it sounds like I don't want to
know you. If you want to flame me do it here I don't care. It's easier to
filter the sh—t here that my in basket that is why

BYE

Thsi is as bad as spam 8-)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Baglio" wrote in message

Sir Edgar, it's generally considered good manners to respond to a
usenet posting on usenet and not by direct email.

I'd agree if it was a perfect world of servers. If I have something of
importance, I'd rather use email as it is more reliable than newsgroup
postings. I've seen where someone replied to my posting only because a
third person made another comment. The original reply never appeared on the
server my ISP uses.

For general comments, posting to the NG is sufficient.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Silvan

Phisherman wrote:

Phony addresses must be used to reduce the amount of spam.

Feh. I've been on usenet for 10 years now, and I've never used a munged
address. I abhor the practice.

Yes, I do have to deal with spam, and yes, I do hate spam. When I hear
people talking about how spam has to be protected, I want to stand them in
front of my table saw and kick pieces of wood into their midsections. To
say nothing of what I'd do to the spammers themselves if I ever got ahold
of one.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16561 Approximate word count: 496830

Gerald Ross

But it will let you change it to something that is incorrect.

Jules wrote:

I don't use email. netscape won't let me leave it blank.

Decking question P UK diy 1 May 2nd 04 08:58 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM