DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wedding Ring Box Plans? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18450-re-wedding-ring-box-plans.html)

George July 16th 03 04:37 PM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Turn one. Easy thing to do. Else, a Forstner bit of appropriate size for
the interior, hole saws for exterior. Start the hole saw with the center
bit proud of the saw, then retract and let it edge guide.

Sometimes it works out great . Old gal and I have 36 in the past already,
more to come.

"David P" wrote in message
I guess I don't have to explain why I need plans for a wedding ring
box...hehe. My swingin' single days are about to be over...hopefully. I
wanted to make a special box for the ring so, like the ring, it will be
unique and very personalized. I've found tons of jewelry box plans, but

no
plans for just a small ring box that I could carry in my pocket on the day
this all goes down...and yes I'm nervous.

Thanks,
David

Jim Mc Namara July 16th 03 04:41 PM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Congrats David. You might want to look at this site prior to starting your
new project. :-)

http://www.futurecollectibles.com/worldssmallest.htm

Jums

CWFrasa July 17th 03 01:53 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Hi David,

Check out Tony Lydgate's box books at the library or bookstore, one has a nice
single ring box you might like.

Good luck!

Craig in Clarkston, MI

Bob Haar July 17th 03 04:21 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

On 7/16/03 10:24 AM, "David P" wrote:

I guess I don't have to explain why I need plans for a wedding ring
box...hehe. My swingin' single days are about to be over...hopefully. I
wanted to make a special box for the ring so, like the ring, it will be
unique and very personalized. I've found tons of jewelry box plans, but no
plans for just a small ring box that I could carry in my pocket on the day
this all goes down...and yes I'm nervous.

How about scaling down plans for a "plain pine box" coffin?

Oops .... Just kidding Kate (;-)

David P July 19th 03 03:18 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Yes, the box is rarely used, maybe once when presenting it, but anything to
make the moment more special is worth it!

Could you elaborate just a little bit on the jigsaw peg bandsaw box? Sounds
like a good idea.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:24:20 GMT, "David P"
wrote:

I guess I don't have to explain why I need plans for a wedding ring
box.

Wel I don't understand it - don't you wear wedding rings near
permanently ? When are you going to need this box ?

For small boxes like this, a "bandsaw" box is a nice way to do it.
IMHO, bandsaws don;t make them very well and it's a better job for a
scroll saw, especialy for small boxes.

If you cut a sliding "jigsaw" peg out before you cut the drawer / lid,
you can make a nice locking box with a scrollsaw.

Silvan July 19th 03 08:22 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Andy Dingley wrote:

Wel I don't understand it - don't you wear wedding rings near
permanently ? When are you going to need this box ?

If you wear it often enough, it leaves a ring in your skin that makes it
really hard to pick up women.

(I think SWMBO likes it that way for some reason... :)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16546 Approximate word count: 496380

Andy Dingley July 19th 03 11:44 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:18:04 GMT, "David P"
wrote:

Could you elaborate just a little bit on the jigsaw peg bandsaw box? Sounds
like a good idea.

I don't have any pictures, but "Slide-apart ring"
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jewel/jewel.htm
is the general idea.

I've made "puzzle" boxes like this from 2" ivy or fruitwood where
there have been half-a-dozen pieces to slide out in sequence.

Making them is hard until you grok how to do it, then gets much
easier. The trick is to sketch them out completely, but to saw the
smallest peg first and then on to the largest lid.

If you saw the pegs on a taper and over-length, you can slide them
deeper in and compensate for the saw kerf thickness.

Silvan July 20th 03 05:29 AM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

David P wrote:

Yes, the box is rarely used, maybe once when presenting it, but anything
to make the moment more special is worth it!

Guess it depends on how long you plan to keep her. :)

It's really sad to think that way. All of my old friends from high school
and college are divorced. Some twice.

Crazy me, I've been married for a tad less than 10 years now. Hell, we've
only gotten worked up enough to have a good knock down, drag-out fight two
or three times in all these years.

I think it's because we're both really, really lazy. Fighting is hard work,
and being mad consumes too much energy, so we rarely bother.

Good luck to you and the future Mrs. This thread has given me some ideas
for making up a nifty little box to house the expensive dongle *my* Mrs. is
expecting to get for out 10th. I'd better get busy on that. I need to
sell a kidney or something before January. :)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16560 Approximate word count: 496800

David P July 20th 03 03:26 PM

Wedding Ring Box Plans?

Same here with all my friends divorced, that's why I've waited soooo long
(I'm in my thirties now) and I've dated this gal for six years! I got
somewhat of a hint that there won't be a seventh without a ring on the
finger....lol.

I'll be picking up my expensive dongle this Thursday. I'm not sure who will
be crying the most, her when she gets the ring, or me when I pay for it. ;)