Posted to rec.woodworking
tr tr is offline

Default hose for dust collector system

I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using
mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off
fitting to the stationary tool ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using
mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off
fitting to the stationary tool ?

Thanks, TR

It is best to keep the hose as large as possible up until you have to taper
down for a particular tool. I use 20' of 4" flex hose up to every tool and
use an adapter if necessary at that point to go smaller, or in the case of
my planer, larger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tr wrote:
I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...

I would think if the Jet is like most DCs the two 4" inputs are
removable and you will have a 5" main input. Use 5" metal piping around
the shop, drop off the 5" main to a 4" flexible hose for each tool. Get
as close as possible before dropping to anything less than 4". I had
80' of flexible hose as lines around my shop (I got it free at Penn
State with my DC) and it was terrible. Metal pipe has made a tremendous
difference in collection ability.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tr wrote:
I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using
mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off
fitting to the stationary tool ?

Thanks, TR

I think anyone setting up a dust collection system should read Bill
Pentz's discussions at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Even if you don't buy into everything he says about the health hazzards
of wood dust, he's done a lot of research and gives a lot of good, free
advice. You'll find your answer there, along with a lot of answers to
questions you may not have thought of yet.

DonkeyHody
"If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
nail." - Abraham Maslow

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using
mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off
fitting to the stationary tool ?

Thanks, TR

Stick with 4". You can either run two circuits with 4" all around, or run a
5" main truck and 4" drops for each tool. That is usually best determined
by your shop layout. If you take the cover off the inlet, instead of two 4"
you can run one 5" or 6" line, I forget which right now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0800, DonkeyHody wrote:

tr wrote:
I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes
on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather
than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using
mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off
fitting to the stationary tool ?

Thanks, TR

I think anyone setting up a dust collection system should read Bill
Pentz's discussions at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Even if you don't buy into everything he says about the health hazzards
of wood dust, he's done a lot of research and gives a lot of good, free
advice. You'll find your answer there, along with a lot of answers to
questions you may not have thought of yet.

Further, he tells you how to build a hellaciously good cyclone.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate