Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dusty wet / dry vacuum

My apologies if this is not the appropriate group for this topic, but I
have no idea what group is? Any suggestions for the right group to ask
this, gratefully accepted.
Unfortunately there is no "rec.wetdryvacs.tech"

I have a serious problem w/ my CRAFTSMAN WET/DRY vacuum.
It constantly emits dust when in operation. The dust smells like the
burnt dust that goes through any vacuum when it is leaking dust & going
through the motor.
I have numerous allergies & bought this model because it advertised
that a HEPA filter was available for it.
It is a:
CRAFTSMAN WET/DRY PUMP VAC 16 gal/ 6.5 HP
Model #86773-29 (LOOKS LIKE A RED & BLACK 'R2D2')

For dry vacuuming I have always used 4 layers of filters, per the
owners manual.
The CRAFTSMAN Disposable Filter Bag 917893
The CRAFTSMAN professional HEPA filter 917886
The CRAFTSMAN Cartridge Filter (Black Stripe) 17884
The CRAFTSMAN Foam Sleeve
17888

I've used it twice for wet vacuuming. Both times I've carefully
followed the Owners Manual & also meticulously cleaned it out.

I'm hoping to find suggestions for a solution for its dust problem. Or
at least an explanation or some such.

All suggestions gratefully accepted, John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a big Craftsman with the optional drywall dust filter bag. Can't
remember how efficient it was with it installed. ie how inefficient. It was
an option for maybe $30, it looked like a big white cloth diaper with a draw
string. No other thoughts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...

My apologies if this is not the appropriate group for this topic, but I
have no idea what group is? Any suggestions for the right group to ask
this, gratefully accepted.
Unfortunately there is no "rec.wetdryvacs.tech"

...snip...

Have you tried contacting Sears?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

john wrote:

snipped

I have a serious problem w/ my CRAFTSMAN WET/DRY vacuum.
It constantly emits dust when in operation. The dust smells like the
burnt dust that goes through any vacuum when it is leaking dust & going
through the motor.
I have numerous allergies & bought this model because it advertised
that a HEPA filter was available for it.
It is a:
CRAFTSMAN WET/DRY PUMP VAC 16 gal/ 6.5 HP
Model #86773-29 (LOOKS LIKE A RED & BLACK 'R2D2')

All suggestions gratefully accepted, John

Take a look at the "CleanStream" filters available for your vacuum.

http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"john" wrote in message
oups.com...

My apologies if this is not the appropriate group for this topic, but I
have no idea what group is? Any suggestions for the right group to ask
this, gratefully accepted.
Unfortunately there is no "rec.wetdryvacs.tech"

...snip...

Have you tried contacting Sears?

--

-Mike-

Hi Mike
I have a longer description of this written & up addressed to Sears,
from which I made this post. I am definitely going to contact them, but
I am hoping to be better prepared or more knowledgeable before I do. I
hope to hear of others who have/ have not had problems w/ shop vacs
emitting dust. I've been doing more on line research since I made this
post & what I'm reading @ some sites (some what between the lines) is
that a HEPA filter does not mean that the vacuum is a HEPA device. Also
one site that is selling $2K vacs, is that no "cheap vac" is a HEPA
device. I hope they are wrong.

Thanks, John

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
I had a big Craftsman with the optional drywall dust filter bag. Can't
remember how efficient it was with it installed. ie how inefficient. It was
an option for maybe $30, it looked like a big white cloth diaper with a draw
string. No other thoughts.

Hello brent

Did this drywall dust bag cut down on the emissions?
I think that the dust is by passing the filters by taking a different
route, or it got through the original 4 levels of Craftsman filters &
is now in the motor & putting out the burnt dust. I have now installed
a Gore HEPA filter & it is still putting out dust. If I use this same
Gore filter in a 6 Gal Shop Vac that I 'rescued' & carefully cleaned
up, from a dumpster, it doesn't put out as much dust.

Any more insight happily accepted, John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

Take a look at the "CleanStream" filters available for your vacuum.

http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks Jack
That's a good suggestion. So good, in fact that I've already done it
:-)
However it hasn't helped. I will excerpt what I wrote to brent:

I think that the dust is by passing the filters by taking a different route, or it got
through the original 4 levels of Craftsman filters & is now in the motor & putting
out the burnt dust. I have now installed a Gore HEPA filter & it is still putting out
dust. If I use this same Gore filter in a 6 Gal Shop Vac that I 'rescued' &
carefully cleaned up, from a dumpster, it doesn't put out as much dust.

When I said
a Gore HEPA filter

I meant the
CLEARSTREAM filter

I just couldn't remember the CLEARSTREAM name & I knew it said GORE
on the box.
I believe that the CLEARSTREAM filter is capable of removing most dust
to a point that it won't bother me.
But as I said, my theory is that the dust is in the motor from previous
usage.
The thing is that I've babied & cleaned the big vac ridiculously. I've
always followed the manual.
There is no reason I can think of why it's doing this.
I have thought of putting rubbing alcohol into it w/o any filtration, &
do one of the non recommended things
in the Owners Manual to cause it to mist.

Perhaps enough of that would clean it out or ruin it :-/ John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Mike
I have a longer description of this written & up addressed to Sears,
from which I made this post. I am definitely going to contact them, but
I am hoping to be better prepared or more knowledgeable before I do. I
hope to hear of others who have/ have not had problems w/ shop vacs
emitting dust. I've been doing more on line research since I made this
post & what I'm reading @ some sites (some what between the lines) is
that a HEPA filter does not mean that the vacuum is a HEPA device. Also
one site that is selling $2K vacs, is that no "cheap vac" is a HEPA
device. I hope they are wrong.

Thanks John. Actually, I should have said more in my reply to you. I am
interested in what Sears says and has to offer, but as well, I'm interested
in alternate address of the issue. I just wondered if Sears had
"recognized" the issue and stocked or supplied a suitable address of the
problem. Sometimes we get lucky and the company will offer a retrofit
product free (given some success at negotiating with them). I was kind of
curious if you'd reached any level of success with Sears on this front.

I have a Sears behemoth shop vac too and I have the same issue you do. Not
to mention the noise that rivals a jet engine. I probably should just buy a
new shop vac - smaller by a long shot than what I currently own, but I guess
I'd rather find a simple solution to the filtration problem. The link that
one of the guys posted yesterday might be the ticket for that. The noise is
something I address with ear muffs. My god, this thing is loud! If my shop
vac ever dies, I will certainly look with a greater scrutiny at the device
that replaces it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"john" wrote in message
ups.com...

bent wrote:
I had a big Craftsman with the optional drywall dust filter bag. Can't
remember how efficient it was with it installed. ie how inefficient. It
was
an option for maybe $30, it looked like a big white cloth diaper with a
draw
string. No other thoughts.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Hello brent

Did this drywall dust bag cut down on the emissions?
I think that the dust is by passing the filters by taking a different
route, or it got through the original 4 levels of Craftsman filters &
is now in the motor & putting out the burnt dust. I have now installed
a Gore HEPA filter & it is still putting out dust. If I use this same
Gore filter in a 6 Gal Shop Vac that I 'rescued' & carefully cleaned
up, from a dumpster, it doesn't put out as much dust.

Any more insight happily accepted, John

Are you sure the gasket where the filter "seats" is in good condition. The
gasket on mine went kaput way before it should have. I installed some foam
weather stripping and solved the problem.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

I cannot even picture the system. I buy a lot of things by the
recommendations of Consumers Reports magazine. Nobody else has the nuts to
do what they do. Its worth the money. I used to have a subscription and
collected them. You can bet if wanted it, I knew about it before I bought
it. Having said that I would often find a close-cousin type product on sale
when I went to get it.. Anyways it was like the L-88 of shop-vacs. This
was years ago. If it one of the largest units, this may counteract the
added drag of the diaper.

I bought the diaper specifically for large quantities of drywall sandings.
I didn't like what was like baking powder on every floor. Can't comment on
it because i didn't notice a problem before, and was not concerned with
respiratory considerations. I do know I would not necc remove it if I
needed to p[ick something up. It would become a really big furry, powdery
mess!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"john" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I am hoping to, but realistically I'm dubious. For one thing it
will be 5yrs old in Feb 07. It worked fine for 3-1/2yrs.

I have a Sears behemoth shop vac too and I have the same issue you do. Not
to mention the noise that rivals a jet engine. I probably should just buy a
new shop vac - smaller by a long shot than what I currently own, but I guess
I'd rather find a simple solution to the filtration problem. The link that
one of the guys posted yesterday might be the ticket for that. The noise is
something I address with ear muffs. My god, this thing is loud! If my shop
vac ever dies, I will certainly look with a greater scrutiny at the device
that replaces it.

I'm certain that my model is different from yours. It is not
particularly noisy for a vacuum (weather shop vac or not) It was
advertised as quiet & I have to agree it is. However that may be part
of the problem. It does not exhaust from the 2-1/2" hole. It exhausts
from several openings in the lid. I read somewhere that this is all or
part of the muffling. The 2-1/2" hole is covered.

I will let this group know if or if not I make any progress w/ Sears,
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use the disposable vacuum bags in my shop vac also. Both the regular
and special drywall bags have worked well for me. I like them because
they drastically cut down on filter clogging and cleaning. They reduce
the pass through dust considerably also.

john wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
"john" wrote in message
[...]

Help, how do I dry out wet camcorder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 November 26th 06 07:00 PM
Wet Dry Vacuum Ben Woodworking 3 March 29th 06 09:18 PM
Wet Dry Vacuum Ben Home Repair 0 March 29th 06 12:08 AM
WET/DRY VACUUM Vince Home Repair 7 September 11th 05 06:05 PM
PVA treatment... wet or dry?! Lobster UK diy 7 January 2nd 05 09:40 PM