Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plan for Cabbage Shredder

I am looking at making a cabbage shredder or mandoline. Could someone tell
me where to go to get a plan or idea on how to make one.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

A Cabbage shredder -- I take it that you have never even seen one, and
I know that if you had ever used one that you would not have to ask the
question.

So here goes.

you have a two part base of wood, and a sharp thin blade. the in part
of the base is smooth and is about 3/4 the length of the entire cutter
assembly, and wide enough to take the largest cabbage. then a THIN sharp
blade is mounted just slightly higher than the in base board at the
inside end of the base, and goes from side to side. Set the height of
the blade to the hight to give you the thickness of cut that you want,
and it will be fixed in place and will not be changed after the unit is
built. then mount an output base board even with the top of your cutter
blade for the cabbage to slide on after going through the cutter. With
two low side pieces to hold the base boards and blade together and to
keep the cabbage from sliding off the base sides.

To use, set the cabbage slicer over a pan or bucket, and start pushing
the head of cabbage back and forth across the cutting blade. It works
fast but watch out that you do not slice your fingers. You could also
make a push block with very short teeth on the bottom by which you would
hold the cabbage down as you push it through.

Belive me, it will do a head of cabbage faster than you ever thought.

How it works? picture the top of a jointer. the input side is set lower
than the output side. I would suggest that you cut the cabbages in half
before starting to shred them. If the blade is held in with small
screws, then the blade can be removed for sharpening.

Have fun.

Zap

wrote:
I am looking at making a cabbage shredder or mandoline. Could someone tell
me where to go to get a plan or idea on how to make one.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for taking the time to explain how the shredder works.
I was thinking of using some discarded surface (131/2") planer blades.
Then I realize that I still have an old good working 6"jointer entirely
build with aluminums.
I do not use it anymore because its too light. Maybe I should try to shred
a cabbage on it, just joking!
By relating it to how a jointer works you have given me a good picture. Now
I have to figure out how to secure the cutting blades.
Thanks again

k.net...

wrote:
I am looking at making a cabbage shredder or mandoline. Could someone
tell me where to go to get a plan or idea on how to make one.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good grief:

http://www.sausage-stuffer.com/W3213...der_slicer.htm
http://www.simply-natural.biz/w1347.php
http://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/museum/...eshredder.html
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2614

Wilson

plahttp://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/museum/tour/cabbageshredder.htmlner
blades.
Then I realize that I still have an old good working 6"jointer entirely
build with aluminums.
I do not use it anymore because its too light. Maybe I should try to
shred a cabbage on it, just joking!
By relating it to how a jointer works you have given me a good picture.
Now I have to figure out how to secure the cutting blades.
Thanks again

k.net...

wrote:
I am looking at making a cabbage shredder or mandoline. Could someone
tell me where to go to get a plan or idea on how to make one.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:

By relating it to how a jointer works you have given me a good picture. Now
I have to figure out how to secure the cutting blades.

You need thin blades.

Alternately - You can buy a mandoline from Amazon for $30

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-907...&s=home-garden

* Multi-task mandoline for slicing firm fruits and vegetables
* Composite nylon-fiberglass body; stainless-steel blade housing
* 3 blade sizes for julienne, waffle, and knife cuts; surgical-grade, stainless steel construction
* Holder protects fingers; mandoline legs fold in for compact storage
* Measures 15-1/2 by 7-1/2 by 4-1/2 inches; weighs 4 pounds

And if you really insist on wood, buy it and throw away everything but
the blades. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I appreciate every bit of information I get.
Buying an already made slicer is not my problem.
My challenge is to make my own. At the end It may be costing me more to
make my own then buying one already made.
As for the thickness of the blades I thought about using discarded bread
slicing machine blades.

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
writes:

By relating it to how a jointer works you have given me a good picture.
Now
I have to figure out how to secure the cutting blades.

You need thin blades.

Alternately - You can buy a mandoline from Amazon for $30

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-907...&s=home-garden

* Multi-task mandoline for slicing firm fruits and vegetables
* Composite nylon-fiberglass body; stainless-steel blade housing
* 3 blade sizes for julienne, waffle, and knife cuts; surgical-grade,
stainless steel construction
* Holder protects fingers; mandoline legs fold in for compact storage
* Measures 15-1/2 by 7-1/2 by 4-1/2 inches; weighs 4 pounds

And if you really insist on wood, buy it and throw away everything but
the blades. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

It's called a mandolin.

Unless you plan to do at least 8-10 heads of cabbage at a time a
mandolin is a complete waste of time that will inflict some cuts in
you fingers as part of the process.

Give me my 10", Henkels Chef's knife and a poly cutting board.

Can trim, quarter, core and slice a head of cabbage in less than 5
minutes, and I'm not a chef, don't even play one on TV.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I tend to agree with you. However it is for the challenge of making my own.
BTW I do have an Henckels Chef's knife. I wonder why you are using a poly
cutting board instead of
wood? The problem I have is to slice the cabbage very thin like shavings.
Anyway I have asked my wife to get me some commercially made sauerkrauts for
this week or until I can make my own slicer.

news