Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing up a turning block

I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

Yesterday I turned a plate that was simply taped onto the faceplate; so I
expect PVA will do fine, but I would rather benefit from other's experience
than my own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

Yesterday I turned a plate that was simply taped onto the faceplate; so I
expect PVA will do fine, but I would rather benefit from other's experience
than my own.

You're right, you're making too much of it. PVA is stronger than the
wood itself, especially when you have such a large glued surface.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:
Toller wrote:
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

Yesterday I turned a plate that was simply taped onto the faceplate; so I
expect PVA will do fine, but I would rather benefit from other's experience
than my own.

You're right, you're making too much of it. PVA is stronger than the
wood itself, especially when you have such a large glued surface.

Sorry, when I first answered I failed to recognize that the wenge is
the source of your worry. I think that given the large glue area,
you'll be fine if you plane or sand immediately before gluing.

DonkeyHody
"The cheapest things in life are free."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:09:02 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

Yesterday I turned a plate that was simply taped onto the faceplate; so I
expect PVA will do fine, but I would rather benefit from other's experience
than my own.

PVA is fine- but one thing you need to keep in mind is that it's going
to need to fully cure. The first time I did this, I let it sit for
about an hour, and it delaminated on the lathe. Better to let it sit
with the clamps on for more like 24 hours.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Prometheus wrote:

PVA is fine- but one thing you need to keep in mind is that it's going
to need to fully cure. The first time I did this, I let it sit for
about an hour, and it delaminated on the lathe. Better to let it sit
with the clamps on for more like 24 hours.

"Do not stress joints for 24 hours." [instructions on the back of the Titebond
II bottle]

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

[...]

As others said PVA is fine ... but...
between the very stable wenge and the less stable maple you may get some
creeping, and if you end up with a fine reflective finish you may have a
slight glue line. Epoxy or cascamite would be better for that reason, but
they may blunt your turning tools a bit more.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and
all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

[...]

As others said PVA is fine ... but...
between the very stable wenge and the less stable maple you may get some
creeping, and if you end up with a fine reflective finish you may have a
slight glue line. Epoxy or cascamite would be better for that reason, but
they may blunt your turning tools a bit more.

I did a search and found cascamite is an English name for Urea-Formaldehyde
glue; but I don't find that for sale. Is it not used in the US?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"Tim W" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and
all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

[...]

As others said PVA is fine ... but...
between the very stable wenge and the less stable maple you may get some
creeping, and if you end up with a fine reflective finish you may have a
slight glue line. Epoxy or cascamite would be better for that reason, but
they may blunt your turning tools a bit more.

I did a search and found cascamite is an English name for
Urea-Formaldehyde glue; but I don't find that for sale. Is it not used in
the US?

Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:10:33 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

[...]

As others said PVA is fine ... but...
between the very stable wenge and the less stable maple you may get some
creeping, and if you end up with a fine reflective finish you may have a
slight glue line. Epoxy or cascamite would be better for that reason, but
they may blunt your turning tools a bit more.

You'll almost certainly get a very fine glue line- but given the huge
color difference between maple and wenge, it won't be worth noting- at
least IMO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

I did a search and found cascamite is an English name for

Urea-Formaldehyde
glue; but I don't find that for sale. Is it not used in the US?

Er, sorry, that is correct. I don't know if it is used in the US. It's a
white powder, mixed with water and sets rock hard. Has been used afaik for
50yrs for boat building, airframes, joinery, but probably old-fashioned now.

tim W