Mike

Default compound mitre saws

newbie question, what are the pro's and con's of sliding compound miter
saw's over fixed compound miter saw's
Mike

DRE

Mike,

Basically, the sliders allow you a longer length of cut.
Usually you can cut boards around 12 inches (300 mm) width with a slide
compound mitre saw.
May also use it to cut dado's/housing joints etc if it has the locking/stop
feature to do this.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System
- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench
- Veritas Basic Grinding Set
- Book: Making Workbenches
- HNT Gordon Block/Shoulder Planes

"Mike" wrote in message
newbie question, what are the pro's and con's of sliding compound miter
saw's over fixed compound miter saw's
Mike

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike" wrote in message

newbie question, what are the pro's and con's of sliding compound miter
saw's over fixed compound miter saw's
Mike

The sliders are a bit more versatile as they can cut a wider board. They
are also more expensive.

I just bought a DeWalt DW705 12" saw. It can cut a 2 x 8. The 12" slider
can cut a 4 x 12.

The price difference was about $400 or so. Worth it? Depends on the work
you do. I lived without one for years but bought this to do some flooring
work this coming week. Since I have it, I also found other chores for it.
I cannot justify the extra $ for the slider, but did justify the extra $80
for the 12" over the 10" for the wider cut capability.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome