Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Lawmakers Look To Ban Metal Bats

New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma. Now, I'm not trying to minimize what
happened to the child, but isn't this a bit too far? Its just another thing
that someone is trying to take from us. I was talking toour neighbor
yesterday about how the place has changed. He's well into his 70's and said
that if I were around back then I would be horrified of all the freedoms
we've lost over the past 50 years. I remember when I was in elem. school,
for show n tell I took 30.06 bullets, yes LIVE bullets. No one thought
anything of it. We used to take our guns to school for hunting afterwards
across the street! I used to ride in my parents cars IN the back windows!
Yes I know its all for safety, but its just another bit of life "THEY" take
away. If "they" stop telling us how to live safely then maybe we wouldn't
have to be building all these damn houses and projects and taking away all
the land!

Sorry had to rant. But there is wood content,, WOODEN BATS!!!

Anyone make they're own wooden bat?

Shopdog

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remember in the 6th grade a boy took his swing and let go of the bat. It
went right back at the catcher's face and the end of the bat went right into
one of his eyes (can't remember which eye), and he wore that black eye for
almost two weeks. The metal bat didn't do anything wrong, it is where on the
child's head the ball struck him.
I remeber riding in the back seat of he car unrestrained, but the cars were
cars then and not made out of plastic and fiberglass.
I also rmember taking the Mauser from WWII to school, kind of like show and
tell. No one thought a thing of it.
I am always referring to the "good old days" and someone quickly reminds me
that they weren't so good. Maybe not, but they were better than some we have
now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shopdog wrote:
[...]

Guy running a shop up the road a bit made one a while back. Can't quite
see anyone using it at a game though.
http://www.customwoodcrafter.com/ballbat.htm
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" wrote in message

Sorry had to rant. But there is wood content,, WOODEN BATS!!!

My turn, then ...

Bats shouldn't be made from anything but wood! Just compare the satisfying
sound of a wooden bat hitting a ball with the aggravating, metallic ping of
a metal bat.

The sound of an aluminum bat hitting a ball, akin to someone scraping
fingernails on a blackboard, is a crime against nature, Mom and Apple Pie,
and could only be enjoyed by some dufus who wears his baseball cap backwards
.... indeed, there oughta be a law!

Now, someone else's turn ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" countered with

"Shopdog" wrote in message

Sorry had to rant. But there is wood content,, WOODEN BATS!!!

My turn, then ...

Bats shouldn't be made from anything but wood! Just compare the satisfying
sound of a wooden bat hitting a ball with the aggravating, metallic ping
of
a metal bat.

The sound of an aluminum bat hitting a ball, akin to someone scraping
fingernails on a blackboard, is a crime against nature, Mom and Apple Pie,
and could only be enjoyed by some dufus who wears his baseball cap
backwards
... indeed, there oughta be a law!

Now, someone else's turn ...

Metal bats, wooden bats, it has all been done before.

How about a polypropylene bat, the Brooklyn Smasher?

http://www.coldsteel.com/92bs.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Bats shouldn't be made from anything but wood!

Neither should hockey sticks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

FWIIW, I understand that in eastern Europe, where you can't have
firearms, that an aluminum bat is the weapon of choice among thugs,
etc. You can see where this is all heading...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Metal bats, wooden bats, it has all been done before.

How about a polypropylene bat, the Brooklyn Smasher?

So, instead of the satisfying sound of a wooden bat or the tinny sound of an
metal bat, what sound do you get?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Metal bats, wooden bats, it has all been done before.

How about a polypropylene bat, the Brooklyn Smasher?

So, instead of the satisfying sound of a wooden bat or the tinny sound of
an
metal bat, what sound do you get?

You get the swarmy, unsettling sound of PLASTIC!! It is similar to the
sound of your credit card going through the scanner, only much louder. What
could be more contemporary and american than that?

(I have had no experience with this bat.) The above remarks were my crude
attempt at a metaphor of some kind.

It should be pointed out that the above bat was primarily designed as a
serious, non-firearm weapon. As though the wooden and aluminum bats were
somehow or another inadequate in this respect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" wrote in message
New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma.

Oh--BASEBALL bats. I thought at first that they were on about some kind of
Halloween decor.

Now, I'm not trying to minimize what happened to the child, but isn't this
a bit too far? Its just another thing that someone is trying to take from
us. I was talking toour neighbor yesterday about how the place has
changed. He's well into his 70's and said that if I were around back then
I would be horrified of all the freedoms we've lost over the past 50
years. I remember when I was in elem. school, for show n tell I took 30.06
bullets, yes LIVE bullets. No one thought anything of it. We used to take
our guns to school for hunting afterwards across the street! I used to
ride in my parents cars IN the back windows! Yes I know its all for
safety, but its just another bit of life "THEY" take away. If "they" stop
telling us how to live safely then maybe we wouldn't have to be building
all these damn houses and projects and taking away all the land!

Classic example of idiot legislators going after the wrong end of the
problem, probably because "if it only saves one life" and "for the children"
(two of the scariest phrases in the English language when uttered by a
politician) can be combined to get votes and banning aluminum bats is
_easy_.

The real problem seems to be that kids are more vulnerable than adults to
"commotio cordis", a condition where a light impact to the chest at just the
right time can induce fibrillation, and when they're tired from exercise
they beome even more so. Doesn't matter if it was an aluminum bat, a wooden
bat, or a thrown ball, if it hits at just the right time and in just hte
right place the kid goes down and if he doesn't get prompt and competent
help he stays down. 50 mph on a softball will do it for a healthy
adult--that doesn't take an aluminum bat.

What makes more sense to me is a triple strategy--teach the kids to protect
themselves--that's as simple as holding your gloved hand in front of your
chest when the ball is in play and you aren't actively in the process of
trying to catch it (not a problem for fielders IMO, the runner shouldn't be
square-on to the ball anyway so if I understand the mechanism correctly he's
less at risk); teach the coaches and officials to administer CPR to kids
and require that they have a current certificate in order to coach or
officiate; require that _somebody_ have an automatic defibrillator available
at each game--how this will be paid for and who's responsible is why the
legislators get paid the big bucks.

Sorry had to rant. But there is wood content,, WOODEN BATS!!!

Anyone make they're own wooden bat?

Shopdog

Posted to rec.woodworking

My son has played organized baseball since he was 5 and he is 15 now
and everybody has always used a metal bat. They were just coming into
being when I was in Little League and have come a long way.

I remember when he was 9-years-old and I saw a somewhat smallish
10-year-old who wasnt all that good literally CRUSH a ball that almost
took off the pitchers head. It was then and there that I realized
something is way wrong with metal bats and it isn't the stupid "Ping!"
sound either. The ball was definitely coming off the bat harder and
faster than off a wooden bat.

I have done a lot of reseasrch and have come to realize that a metal
bat is supposed to do just that: Increase the speed the ball comes off
the bat and the distance. The way it does that is they have come out
with more and more metals that can be made into a bat with the walls
being thinner and thinner and more flexible. Inside the metal bat is a
bladder like in a football. This bladder contains various type of
pressurized gas. WHen the walls of the bat are flexed into the
bladder, the ball literlaly springs off the bat with ungodly power and
speed.

Colleges have been thinking about switching from metal bats to wooden
ones again as well. The metal bats, obviously, last a lot longer
because they rarely break. But when the players use a wooden bat for
the major league scouts, their balls fall 40-50-60+-feet shorter than
they normally would. This turns a player who is a home run hitter into
a hitter that hits long flyball outs. This proves the theory that a
ball is hit further with a metal bat than with a wooden bat.

Finally, I know it is harder for fielders, especially outfielders, to
play their position with metal bats because a dinky little pop to the
pitcher sounds the same as a double against the fence. Not that
somehting like that should make a difference but when a skinny little
kid can hit a ball a lot harder than he is supposed to, it gets
dangerous. And don't forget: 9- and 10-year-olds pitch from 48-feet
away and their reflexes are not nearly as developed as an older person
and if that skinny little kid hits a ball like a 16-year-old, don't you
think that puts the pitcher at a severe disadvantage?

I will get off my soapbox now...

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
"Shopdog" wrote in message
New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma.

Couldn't the kids just wear a chest protector, like you can use for
Cricket
http://www.barringtonsports.com/cric..._Protector.htm
?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shopdog wrote:

snip
He's well into his 70's and said
that if I were around back then I would be horrified of all the

freedoms
we've lost over the past 50 years. I remember when I was in elem.

school,
for show n tell I took 30.06 bullets, yes LIVE bullets. No one thought
anything of it. We used to take our guns to school for hunting

afterwards
across the street!

snip

At the end of WWII, when that 70's neighbor was maybe 10 years old,
there were less than 150 million people in the USA.

We just passed 300 million a few days ago.

The amount of land hasn't changed except when Alaska & Hawaii were
granted statehood.

That land across the street where you used to hunt, probably has
houses on it today.

The point is that more people in the same space create more demanding
conditions.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I will get off my soapbox now...

Before you do, what about the schools that are banning playing Tag now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

wrote in message

I will get off my soapbox now...

Before you do, what about the schools that are banning playing Tag now?

If I ever get a surplus of time, I will write a book detailing all the
things that happened to me in elementary school. People think I make this
stuff up. They are horrified. And it was just a typical country school
where I grew up.

Example; If a ball went over the fence, we needed three guys to retrieve it.
Two to keep the angry, territorial bull distracted. And one to recover the
ball. Needless to say, the two bull distractors were are fastest runners.
And the reason we used two was if one fell down.

And the fact that almost no one at our school had money enough to wear those
fancy tennis shoes to play soccer. We just used our regular work/logging
boots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Shopdog" wrote in message

Bats shouldn't be made from anything but wood! Just compare the satisfying
sound of a wooden bat hitting a ball with the aggravating, metallic ping
of
a metal bat.

The sound of an aluminum bat hitting a ball, akin to someone scraping
fingernails on a blackboard, is a crime against nature, Mom and Apple Pie,
and could only be enjoyed by some dufus who wears his baseball cap
backwards
... indeed, there oughta be a law!

////////////////////////////////////////////

About as annoying as the "ping" from those non wooden drivers everyone seems
to be using this day and time!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:00:58 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

We just passed 300 million a few days ago.

The amount of land hasn't changed except when Alaska & Hawaii were
granted statehood.

That land across the street where you used to hunt, probably has
houses on it today.

The point is that more people in the same space create more demanding
conditions.

Lew

I'm with you, Lew.

I believe that there is a critical density of population that
describes the difference between living a decent life and not.

I have no backup for this, in a scientific sense, but it is a strong
feeling in me.

A strong feeling is usually a synthetic judgment about a condition.

It is not scientifically informed but it is the end result of your
experience in life.

There is perhaps a perfect density that describes the boundary between
the vibrance associated with a strong community vs. the dehumanizing
aspects of overcrowding.

I grew up in a small town that was the focal point of the surrounding
agricultural community.

As you say, the places that I used to hunt and fish are now covered by
houses.

It seems far too urban to me.

New arrivals admire it for its rustification.

Go figger.

I believe that the Nation State took over from the City State concept
because of density.

Although it addressed volume - I do not think that the concept
addressed quality of life.

But, here we are.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:35:06 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma. Now, I'm not trying to minimize what

Never mind bats and bullets, the politicians really must do something
about one of the deadliest scourges that affects all our kiddies, and
our old folk too. See: http://www.dhmo.org/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

At the end of WWII, when that 70's neighbor was maybe 10 years old,
there were less than 150 million people in the USA.

We just passed 300 million a few days ago.

The point is that more people in the same space create more demanding
conditions.

I recall reading some (sociological?) studies years ago done with lab
rats. As I recall, as their population density increased, the rate of
aberrant behavior increased much faster than did the population. Sort
of like the rats were being forced inside each others "fight or
flight" radius.

Wonder if that's why there seems to be so many two-legged vermin these
days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

That land across the street where you used to hunt, probably has houses on
it today.

The point is that more people in the same space create more demanding
conditions.

I can't agree with that assumption. Sure, the population has increased, but
the density of people in the cities was horrid at the turn of the 20th
century. Just look back at the old neighborhoods in large cities, the sweat
shops, etc. and you will find most of us are living in much better
conditions.

Our parents and grandparents fought for better conditions in the workplace
and in housing, but now the politicians are just taking control of every
aspect of our lives. The tenements of New York City or Chicago did not need
all the rules that an HOA in a suburb of California has in place today.
Years ago, teachers with 50 students in a classroom had better control than
teachers can have with 15 students today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Barry Lennox said:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:35:06 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma. Now, I'm not trying to minimize what

Never mind bats and bullets, the politicians really must do something
about one of the deadliest scourges that affects all our kiddies, and
our old folk too. See: http://www.dhmo.org/

I would hazard a guess that 9.9 out of 10 politicians would make a
stand on this issue if the nearly-as-moronic press ran with it. LOL

The most elaborate pretense I've seen this year - so far...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Upscale wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Metal bats, wooden bats, it has all been done before.

How about a polypropylene bat, the Brooklyn Smasher?

So, instead of the satisfying sound of a wooden bat or the tinny sound of an
metal bat, what sound do you get?

This ought to be a good start.

Bats? BATS? In my day, we couldn't afford bats. We had to use a stick.

--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can't agree with that assumption. Sure, the population has

increased, but
the density of people in the cities was horrid at the turn of the 20th
century. Just look back at the old neighborhoods in large cities,

the sweat
shops, etc. and you will find most of us are living in much better
conditions.

Yes, living conditions were not the greatest in the inner part of most
major US cities, but an escape for a few hours on a Sunday into the
open country side was a relatively short distance away.

Central Park in NYC was built specifically to provide some "escape
space" for people living in the city.

Cleveland had the Metropolitan Park System known as the Emerald
Necklace with includes golf courses, a polo field, lakes, etc for the
same purpose.

I'm certain many other older established cities around the US have
similar facilities that were probably established during the last
quarter of the 19th century.

The cities and all the congestion they represent, have engulfed these
"green" facilities.

If these facilities were to be established today, it simply would not
happen. The cost would be totally prohibitive.

The demand for housing space has/is swallowing up open space at an
alarming rate.

There are simply less and less open spaces where people can be alone,
pass a little gas, and just plain get away from other people.

The population here in SoCal is expected to double in the next 20 or
so years.

There is simply not enough infrastructure to support that kind of growth.

Increased population density is inevitable if that growth is to be
handled.

Our parents and grandparents fought for better conditions in the

workplace
and in housing, but now the politicians are just taking control of

every
aspect of our lives.

Most politicians respond to voters.

Very few offer original ideas since you can lose elections that way.

As a result, voters can complain, but they also need to look in the
mirror.

Years ago, teachers with 50 students in a classroom had better

control than
teachers can have with 15 students today.

I had my rear end kicked by my coach, a 6'-4", 250 lb, former pro
football player, when I was a freshman in high school.

I knew better than to let my parents know what happened.

I kept my mouth shut and got on with life.

If a teacher tried that today, they would be in court defending
themselves from a lawsuit filed by the parents.

Times have certainly changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And each generation becomes calloused just enough to make it through
their respective lifetime. My grandfather would be appalled at what
bothers me. His father would be in shock.
Just down the street the Isle of Shoals sits out on the horizon. It
always appears the same to me as it does to each generation. But if my
great grandfather could stand on the shore and look out with me he'd
probably state that its moved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:44:37 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

I had my rear end kicked by my coach, a 6'-4", 250 lb, former pro
football player, when I was a freshman in high school.

I knew better than to let my parents know what happened.

I kept my mouth shut and got on with life.

If a teacher tried that today, they would be in court defending
themselves from a lawsuit filed by the parents.

Times have certainly changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Agreed 110%.

Almost everybody has turned into a goddamn sissy-
we need more kicks in the ass, and less sensitivity. Nothing corrects
abject stupidity quite as quick as a crack in the mouth- put an end to
the stupidity, and we'll all have a nicer place to live, city and
rural alike.

And it never took politicians to legislate that before. Parents can
do it just fine, as long as they're not threatened with jail if they
spank a kid for lighting the neighbor's cat on fire. Whiny,
self-indulgent kids grow up to be whiny, self-indulgent adults. Even
if they're good kids, they need to learn acceptable risk taking
behavior on the playground- or they grow up to be weak and timid.
Everyone used to know this crap, I don't know how it all got turned
sideways like it has.

It's ironic that as we as a species continue to breed like rabbits,
there are some idiots working as frantically as possible to make sure
that not only does every single person *survive* as long as possible,
but that we take extra care that no one need suffer anything worse
than a paper cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Honestly, I believe that it is the parents fault now days. Just look at how
many children go unsupervised for long periods of time. Remember back when
if an adult saw you screwing off, they'd walk up to you and "talk' to you,
or grab you by the ear and take you off to your parents. Now, if someone did
that they would be in court up to their ass. When I was young just the
thought of my father finding out I did something I wasn't supposed to kept
me from doing it. The phrase just you wait til your father gets home was
enough to make me wish it was only jail.

But, I am not going to let that happen to my kids, with my son all I
have to do say that " you really disapointed me" and that make my son
genuinly sad. The phrase wait til your father gets home still means
something in this house. Oh, I don't ever hit him, but don't tell him that.
He is a very good child with normal boyish behaviour, and I like that. I let
him get away with certain things yet there are others that simply don't fly
here. I tell him to go to bed he goes and without a fuss. It falls to us the
parents to stop this problem.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Honestly, I believe that it is the parents fault now days. Just look at
how many children go unsupervised for long periods of time. Remember back
when if an adult saw you screwing off, they'd walk up to you and "talk' to
you, or grab you by the ear and take you off to your parents. Now, if
someone did that they would be in court up to their ass. When I was young
just the thought of my father finding out I did something I wasn't
supposed to kept me from doing it. The phrase just you wait til your
father gets home was

Yeah! I remember. My parents always seemed to know who, what, when, where
before I even got home.
Thank God there were no video cameras back then. Of course, my parents did
not seem to need any.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:23:03 +1300, Barry Lennox wrote:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:35:06 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

New Jersey lawmakers are trying to ban metal bats, stating that they are
more dangerous than wooden bats. A child was struck by a ball hit off a
metal bat and is now in a coma. Now, I'm not trying to minimize what

Never mind bats and bullets, the politicians really must do something
about one of the deadliest scourges that affects all our kiddies, and
our old folk too. See: http://www.dhmo.org/

That website (and a companion dedicated, IIRC, to oxygen di-hydrate) has
relly been spruced up since last I saw it. What we need now is one
dedicated to aluminum bat bladder gas and its effects on the environment.

Ya know what's really sad? ... Such a site probably already exists.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Honestly, I believe that it is the parents fault now days. Just look at
how many children go unsupervised for long periods of time. Remember back
when if an adult saw you screwing off, they'd walk up to you and "talk' to
you, or grab you by the ear and take you off to your parents. Now, if
someone did that they would be in court up to their ass. When I was young
just the thought of my father finding out I did something I wasn't
supposed to kept me from doing it. The phrase just you wait til your
father gets home was enough to make me wish it was only jail.

Not lack of supervision, but lack of value or morality, which is what keeps
you from stealing when nobody's around. As kids we played in great gaggles
for hours on end in isolated areas of the neighborhood as well as in the
street, where the expansion joints made a somewhat elongated diamond for
baseball. But we knew we could be sent home by any adult, and tried to put
on our most civilized demeanor in front of them, even the ones we hated,
because treating adults with deference was the _right_ thing to do.

All you have to do is look at the way adult/child relationships are
portrayed on the great broadcast teacher to understand those days are gone.
Who's the smart one, parent or child? Refreshing to see "leave it to
Beaver" episodes where the loving parents carefully allow just enough
freedom to sample the dangerous waters, while waiting to reel to safety.
Almost as if they knew something about the business of life through
experience.

If you don't have to defer even to the authority of your parents, imagine
what kind of a citizen you'll become.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

Wonder if that's why there seems to be so many two-legged vermin these
days.

I suspect that is from a lack of being smacked up side the head by
parents who truly cared when they were young.

Lew

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Custom metal stamps? Richard Ferguson Metalworking 10 August 15th 05 08:51 PM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM