Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ouch!

Mercy, that shore did hurt a mite. Didn't knock the wind out of me but
took it away if you know what I mean. Doubled over with my back now to
the table saw trying to breath while I feel like someone has stuck a
branding iron in my side. All I can do is exclaim **** **** **** over
and over until finally the pain subsides enough that I remember how to
breath. Afraid to look at my ribs, I stagger off looking for the piece
of oak that was on my saw a short while ago. I have a recollection of
it flying past my head as it bounced off my side. After finding it I
take a look at my ribs. A four inch break in the skin, but suprisingly
little blood. Something that hurts that much you would think demanded
at least a pint of blood. Glad I was wearing a light jacket over my
tee shirt. Going to be one hell of a bruise. Going to have to figure
out how to hide it from my wife as she will worry from now on whenever
I'm using tools if she sees it. Looks like her idiot husband will be
sleeping in tee shirts for a while. This was never going to happen to
me. It only happens to unsafe knuckleheads and 99.9 percent of the time
I am very careful. Well, that .1 percent caught up with me. Won't say
what I did but was just trying to save some time by not having to go
get the proper tool for the job at hand. I am grateful. Grateful
there isn't a piece of wood impaled in me. Grateful it didn't hit my
face (my face is my fortune you know) or it didn't blind me. It is
clear God protects fools. Gentlemen I stand before all to tell you that
it takes 100 percent, not 99.9 percent safe tool use. When it happens,
it happens fast. You can't dodge it It's already over by the time you
realize something bad just happened. Jeez, it's gonna hurt tomorrow
when I move and those kitchen cabinet doors are demanding to be
finished. Lets be careful out there.
Mike in Arkansas who came close to being Mike in the ER or worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

this summer, i was crosscutting a piece of oak. I was holding it from
both sides, so i didn't think it would be a problem. The short piece
caught, and hit me right on the bellybutton. I didn't go down, but I
doubled over real good. Shut the TS off from the crouched position.
When I finally looked (is this a pattern for us?) I had a bruise the
size of my hand, and a perfect .75x3 outline in blood. no skin was
broken - it just seeped through. I felt ok in a few minutes, and it
took 3 weeks to heal.

i saved the block of wood - it's a real conversation starter.

dammit, i was TRYING to be safe. From now on, i use the miter was -
haven't had time to build a crosscut sled.

glad your ok too...

shelly

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

This is why I love my bandsaw.TS is a last resort.
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ouch, but happy Dan Kratville Woodworking 1 October 9th 05 05:59 PM
Nailgun safety - ouch! Grunff UK diy 21 July 8th 04 04:04 AM
ouch! 25v dc leakage to DVD case The Real Andy Electronics Repair 4 June 29th 04 10:35 AM
Property taxes and Homestead Exemption in Texas -- Second year OUCH! Alex Home Ownership 6 June 10th 04 12:35 AM
ouch! jessicandle Home Repair 7 January 8th 04 06:25 PM