Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

Old October 21st 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.
THAT is my major concern. I don't care if the standard is metric or
english, I just don't want to have to deal with fractions. For someone
that is not working with the larger measurements such as meters and
kilometers, that would solve most of the problems. I can get
micrometers, dial indicators and scales in tenths, albeit not in a good
variety.

I found that Lee Valley has a tape in tenths and it is OK, but I would
rather have one from Fastcap. they have nice, high quality, durable
products. Lee Valley has a left to right and a right to left reading
tape, but you have to buy both. Fastcap usually has several features
like this in one tape.

Old October 21st 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb

eganders wrote:
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. ...

Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Old October 21st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

Old October 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Hey,
What can I say. I have no excuse, but this is why I love newsgroups.

Old October 21st 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

Old October 21st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

Old October 21st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

Evidently he prefers decimal fractions to binary.

--

FF

Old October 21st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Pat

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call out 12 4 and
they cut it. Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures. I
would love to have a tape marked in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths.
I think I'll buy a couple and see.

Old October 21st 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:05:39 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures.

You have helpers that can't understand 3/8 vs. 3/4? G

And if they can't, then they are not helpers. They are hinderers.
Jim

Old October 21st 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I got one from Lowes.

On 21 Oct 2006 07:15:11 -0700, "eganders" wrote:

[...]

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
Reading a tape measure...again Tom Gardner Metalworking 46 November 11th 03 04:19 PM
Diamonds on a tape measure Dominick Fiumara Woodworking 16 October 15th 03 10:42 AM
Does anyone still make tape measure refill tapes? Dirty Bob Woodworking 14 August 11th 03 08:23 PM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM