Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Got a Jointer?

Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2019 7:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Yes, and many other pieces, too...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:15:29 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

You made me chuckle. Thanks. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2019 9:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

I don't recall if that is in the very old Rockwell jointer manual
addendum they used to supply with every machine or not...but it's not
something new.

I first saw it in the shop practices manual we had in HS woodworking
shop class -- I somehow managed to lose that text and I have wished more
often than I can count that I could remember who/what for it to find a
copy because it was pure gold in such techniques; most of which I've
never seen anywhere since...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping
fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you
like the clean look...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping
fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you
like the clean look...

I use my bench top belt sander to do my fingernails. In fact, I used it
this afternoon. Note the flat section. Seriously. Did this today. Not
intentionally, of course.

https://i.imgur.com/VQXkbaj.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Yes, I have heard of and or seen this before too, probably not as far
back as shop class.

The only draw back that I see is doing this with a wood like oak, which
often has a lot of grain changes. I would think if the grain was not
pointing down or parallel to travel, you could end up with some nasty
tear out. Much like a planer taking a deep cut.

Not much fun using a taper jig on a TS either but these days I use my
track saw, kind of a no brainer simple. The saw and track do not know
or care how you cut a straight line, parallel or tapering.