Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta mortiser question

Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00
-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping.
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine
doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and
I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is
suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is
to raise. Thanks, Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00
-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping.
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine
doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and
I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is
suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is
to raise. Thanks, Mike

from the ones I have used (not your specific model) the operating lever
should require a minimum of force to raise or lower the machine with no
material in place.

the machine I used tended to raise the mechanism if you let go of the
handle , rather like a drill press.

If the motor is hard to raise I suggest you recheck your parts list and
assembly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own?

Just keeps it from dropping. You have to lift up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a similar model and on mine, the manual says to adjust the tension of
the mechanism so that you can raise the carriage with a little effort. You
should be able to adjust the friction of the carriage, thus adjust the
amount of force necessary to raise and lower the carriage.

Mike in Alameda

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00
-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping.
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine
doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and
I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is
suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is
to raise. Thanks, Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00
-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping.
Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between
the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the
top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine
doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and
I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is
suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is
to raise. Thanks, Mike

These cylinders go bad over time and sometimes they go bad right away. The
automotive industry was using them in the late 70's and early 80's on hoods
and deck lids. Needless to say we replace a bunch of these parts.
My 10 year old Delta mortiser has one and when new it would gently lift the
motor up when I let go of the handle if the chisel was not embedded into
wood. Today it only holds the motor at the location that I leave it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:32:49 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

My Delta mortiser has one and when new it would gently lift the
motor up when I let go of the handle if the chisel was not embedded into
wood. Today it only holds the motor at the location that I leave it.

Hmmm. Mine never lifted the chisel back up, buried or not. It was
never a concern, I just thought it natural to rotate the handle to
raise the head back up. The cylinder does the required job of holding
the head up. No worries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My Delta mortiser has one and when new it would gently lift the
motor up when I let go of the handle if the chisel was not embedded into
wood. Today it only holds the motor at the location that I leave it.

Hmmm. Mine never lifted the chisel back up, buried or not. It was
never a concern, I just thought it natural to rotate the handle to
raise the head back up. The cylinder does the required job of holding
the head up. No worries.

I just got mine recently, and yeah it just stays put when I let go.
Which I think is what it's supposed to do. I'd rather have it stay
just above the work where I left it while repositioning than go all
the way back up.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Shop Fox so this may not be related...
The gas spring is to keep the motor from falling down on your fingers when
you are not ready. Sharp chisels will make you say Ow very loudly.
Lifting the motor back up by hand is by design.

Thom

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. I'll adjust the fit
between the head and column per the manual to make it a bit easier to
move and then not worry about about the gas cylinder not raising the
assembly.
Mike in Arkansas