CHISEL HOLDER - For Wood Lathe

Old October 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default CHISEL HOLDER - For Wood Lathe

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...lder/index.htm

This is geared to a Shopsmith, but easily enough adaptable to other
types. Something similar would work well enough on mine, and it only
resembles the Shopsmith in the fact that it's a lathe.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Old October 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:07:19 -0400, (J T) wrote:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...lder/index.htm

This is geared to a Shopsmith, but easily enough adaptable to other
types. Something similar would work well enough on mine, and it only
resembles the Shopsmith in the fact that it's a lathe.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Joat... i built a couple of them years ago and the main problem with them is
that they get covered with shavings...
I built one that went on the top rails but it got in the way.. *g*

I've played with a lot of things that didn't work, but something that I use a
lot is pretty much like the shopsmith one, but mounted at about a 45 degree
angle on an old stand for a roller support...
Nice to have near the lathe when you're turning and in a corner somewhere when
you're not...

BTW: will that hold your rasps and planes for turning big stuff? *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Old October 7th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:50:13 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

Hey Mac, ever consider a rolling cart? I've got a little wire one
that works like a charm. Points go down between the wires, chips fall
right through, and you can stick other stuff on it as well. Works so
well, I never did get around to building one.

Old October 9th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:28:51 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

Hey Mac, ever consider a rolling cart? I've got a little wire one
that works like a charm. Points go down between the wires, chips fall
right through, and you can stick other stuff on it as well. Works so
well, I never did get around to building one.

Actually, I've tried 2, not rolling, though...
One was the silverware tray from an old dishwasher, the other the "kids seat"
from a trashed shopping cart... both worked ok, but I didn't like the idea of
bumping a freshly sharpened chisel against the wire if I missed the opening in
the wire a bit...

I'm sort of copying one that was in an AAW magazine last year for the new shop..
using short lengths of 1/2" and 1" pvc pipe...

Old October 21st 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I have the HF 1236 (equiv) and I made a rack that fits on the front legs
and will hold (IIRC) 15 tools 'handle up'. I accounted for the shavings
fallout by making each tool holder a slot with just a crossar to keep them
from falling out. I can run the shop vac over the whole to clear the
shavings when they get built up without even removing the tools.

BIll